U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:49 PM

46,054 posts, read 29,422,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I say "no way!".

The EPA is controlled by the left......they pick and choose what are endangered and what aren't based on their ideology and marching orders.
If that were even remotely true, then HSR would be up and running by now seeing that it is a "left wing" project.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
2 hours, but they would stop at a couple other cities on the way so maybe 2.5 hours.
Maybe, is there other big cities in between the two cities you fly to and from?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 PM

20,978 posts, read 16,216,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised, there are plenty of infrastructure projects that never pan out for various reasons. Unfortunately there is enough that will stand in the way of HSR or attempts to dumb it down to the point that it will never really happen to the same level as other countries that are surpassing us.
They are surpassing us because we have huge sectors of citizens who see no value in education. (inner city ghetto's)

They are surpassing us because they realize that some people do the work of planning and investing and others are only willing or able to be common laborers. We are not all equal when it comes to intelligence and ability.

I once took the auto train from Va. to Fl.......worst experience of my life. Loud, annoying people with absolutely zero respect for those around them.

I recently took the train from London to Glasgow......what a pleasurable experience. Quiet, nice people with a common decency for their fellow travelers.

In short, we have the third largest population on the planet.....many people are raised with zero respect or manners. Until that changes, nothing else will.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
If that were even remotely true, then HSR would be up and running by now seeing that it is a "left wing" project.
Thank God that congress controls the money!

Old 01-12-2015, 06:00 PM

6,510 posts, read 9,000,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Sounds great, but the liberals would ultimately be against as it may disrupt the elk population, or a spotted salamander somewhere through it's path...
Much like the oil pipeline from Canada that the the current regime rejected...and i quote..

Obama was putting politics ahead of jobs and the nation's energy security by rejecting the pipeline now, Republicans and oil industry leaders said. The president faced fierce pressure from environmentalists who said they would be less likely to campaign for him in November if he didn't block the project to move carbon-heavy oil from the tar sands of northwest Canada.

Another 4 years..Damn
Transporting oil through the largest natural wetlands in Nebraska is different than transporting people. Didn't think separating oil from people would be too hard, but then to republicans corporations are people too, with the same rights.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:02 PM

6,510 posts, read 9,000,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No. And there are so many reasons I don't even know where to begin.

One obvious one that comes to mind is that every city on the map will want a stop and the resulting "high speed" train will end up going slower than Amtrak does today.
That's why it would only stop at the hubs, which are clearly marked on the maps. Major cities, Chicago, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:04 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,652,755 times
Quote:
Maybe, is there other big cities in between the two cities you fly to and from?
Yes, there is only one i guess

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...07-09-2009.JPG

Old 01-12-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They are surpassing us because we have huge sectors of citizens who see no value in education. (inner city ghetto's)
Ah yes, blame the "inner city ghetto's" for the low education standards in this country, I am sure it is just that one group that is bringing us down.

Quote:
They are surpassing us because they realize that some people do the work of planning and investing and others are only willing or able to be common laborers. We are not all equal when it comes to intelligence and ability.
Yep. it appears Americans are not smart enough to handle having HSR....

Quote:
I once took the auto train from Va. to Fl.......worst experience of my life. Loud, annoying people with absolutely zero respect for those around them.

I recently took the train from London to Glasgow......what a pleasurable experience. Quiet, nice people with a common decency for their fellow travelers.

In short, we have the third largest population on the planet.....many people are raised with zero respect or manners. Until that changes, nothing else will.
Well that settles it, Americans are too rude and annoying to have HSR....or airline or bus travel for that matter because I can only assume you don't fly in the US for the same reason.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:10 PM

29,247 posts, read 26,183,299 times
Building infrastructure and education are more than just about how fast a train can get from Point A to Point B. That's how you develop big technology and know-how and capability.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, blame the "inner city ghetto's" for the low education standards in this country, I am sure it is just that one group that is bringing us down.
It is.

I don't think that you realize this fact, but please allow me to educate you.

ALL teachers come from the same pool of graduating classes. They ALL need to pass the same testing to get certified to teach.

The difference in "good" schools and "bad" schools are the attitudes of the people who send their kids to said schools.

You're welcome....that schooling was free!

Back to HSR. The River Line that runs between Trenton and Camden NJ is ONLY safe during main rush hours.
Why? Even then ridership is limited to those without other means of transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies