U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2015, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,429,799 times
Reputation: 7829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I believe the entire metro are reached 500,000 this past summer. It would be the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers-Bentonville AR metro area. It encompasses a lot of area. However, everything I've said, in spite of your snarkiness, has been 100% true.
Well except for the fact that you left out the part that you live in a much bigger metro than just your 5K town. I am sure we could find a few rail lines in a city metro of 500K.

I don't appreciate having people intentionally leave out key facts when trying to arguing for or against something.

 
Old 01-19-2015, 02:42 PM
 
40,008 posts, read 24,268,964 times
Reputation: 12589
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well except for the fact that you left out the part that you live in a much bigger metro than just your 5K town. I am sure we could find a few rail lines in a city metro of 500K.

I don't appreciate having people intentionally leave out key facts when trying to arguing for or against something.
It's not a city metro of 500K.

It's 4 counties, spread out over a large area, with no city center.

Certainly, the city of Rogers was named for a railroad executive who decided to lay rail in that community. However, there is no rail, none, nada, not a single track, in the community where I live. I don't live in Rogers. I don't live in any of the small cities in the metro area.
 
Old 01-19-2015, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,429,799 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not a city metro of 500K.

It's 4 counties, spread out over a large area, with no city center.

Certainly, the city of Rogers was named for a railroad executive who decided to lay rail in that community. However, there is no rail, none, nada, not a single track, in the community where I live. I don't live in Rogers. I don't live in any of the small cities in the metro area.
Fayetteville and Springdale both look like they have downtowns to me. They also both make up quite a populated area. Hardly something I would call spread out. Also it looks like Springdale has a rail line in its downtown, so the metro does have rail access even if your small town in this metro doesn't have direct access.
 
Old 01-19-2015, 04:17 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 2,355,720 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Fayetteville and Springdale both look like they have downtowns to me. They also both make up quite a populated area. Hardly something I would call spread out. Also it looks like Springdale has a rail line in its downtown, so the metro does have rail access even if your small town in this metro doesn't have direct access.
No you see his specific subdivision has no rail therefore trains don't work and everyone has to drive everywhere.
 
Old 01-19-2015, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,429,799 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
No you see his specific subdivision has no rail therefore trains don't work and everyone has to drive everywhere.
That is pretty much it. Trains don't work because a small town on a 500K metro doesn't have rail, so rail would never ever work.
 
Old 01-19-2015, 04:45 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,304,478 times
Reputation: 5175
Anything you put government in charge of will be a gigantic fail. If it were financially viable, private interests would be doing it.
 
Old 01-19-2015, 05:52 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 2,355,720 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Anything you put government in charge of will be a gigantic fail. If it were financially viable, private interests would be doing it.
Do you apply this specious reasoning to other government institutions, like police or fire departments? Or roads, or zoning?
 
Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Maryland about 20 miles NW of DC
6,111 posts, read 5,063,334 times
Reputation: 2426
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, I thought we were all aware of this. I am sure your town also doesn't have an international or regional airport as well. Things like airports and rail, especially HSR are reserved for the larger metros.

A majority of Americans live in big, crowded metro areas and have little or no conception of the nation beyond the outmost suburbs or the last beltway around their particular city. Serving their needs ensures that that the needs of the many get taken care off. If you want t live in a one stop sign town that is slowly fading away, that's your choice not mine or the 75% of Americans who live in standard statistical metropolitan areas.
 
Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 PM
 
32,037 posts, read 32,848,071 times
Reputation: 14920
A high speed rail system would be great!
 
Old 01-20-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,233 posts, read 13,983,115 times
Reputation: 6469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A high speed rail system would be great!
except for:

all the people it will unhouse due to the thievery of eminent domain

all the crop land it will destroy

all the environment it will destroy

the economies it will destroy

and the shear cost of trying to build it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top