Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
HSR will work fine but mostly as regional service. Chicago to Cleveland Atlanta to Washington, DC to NY, Houston to Atlanta/New Orleans

and it will be much nicer than the hell that flying currently is...
Won't get me on a high speed train to Chicago, i'll stick to airplanes and cars.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:04 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Wouldn't really work well in a country like ours, maybe except in the northeast.

They are great for more dense/compact areas with dense cities like Asia and Europe but i don't see that happening here.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I wonder why HappyTexan is wrong about everything?

You do know that there is multiple options on trains, decisions on stops, and capability to have express as well as local trains?

It only would be "that slow" if it was designed that way.

China is moving forward with high speed trains, and currently has the fastest, topping 300mph.

3,000 miles.

A jet does the trip in 6hours

A 300mph train could do it in 10hrs

4 hour difference, if you could handle 300mph the entire time. Maybe not feasible today, but feasible soon. Plus trains would more likely bring you right to city center (and not 30-1hr outside of city of laguardia or whatever).

China will demonstrate the effectiveness of high speed rail over large distances, and maybe after they do we will jump on the band wagon too late?
And on the way into city centers we can bulldoze thousands of homes and businesses and ruin the value of tens of thousands of others all while costing hundreds of billions, if not trillions of dollars.

Or we can just take the already faster plane that is currently in place and cheaper.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Wouldn't really work well in a country like ours, maybe except in the northeast.

They are great for more dense/compact areas with dense cities like Asia and Europe but i don't see that happening here.
How do airplanes work for you?

Old 01-12-2015, 03:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How do airplanes work for you?
I think the issue with High Speed Rail is that while it's a wonderful idea, and wouldn't it be great if there were HSR between Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, why should the nation pay for it? Why shouldn't Texans pay for HSR in the state of Texas? And Californians pay for the HSR in the state of California? The fact that it's a great way to travel doesn't offset the fact that the question of HSR is about the federal government paying to provide a service that many Americans would never use.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think the issue with High Speed Rail is that while it's a wonderful idea, and wouldn't it be great if there were HSR between Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, why should the nation pay for it? Why shouldn't Texans pay for HSR in the state of Texas? And Californians pay for the HSR in the state of California? The fact that it's a great way to travel doesn't offset the fact that the question of HSR is about the federal government paying to provide a service that many Americans would never use.
How are airports funded? Should ALL funding be done locally only?

Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Quote:
Won't get me on a high speed train to Chicago, i'll stick to airplanes and cars.
Good for you. Close mindedness is a poor argument.

Quote:

Infrastructure creates economies, not the other way around.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Infrastructure creates economies, not the other way around.
Actually, you're wrong.

If we look at the United States, the majority of roads started off as trade routes. The majority of initial river crossing were private ferries. The first interstates were made by private railroads. Most of the first hospitals were built by churches or rich industrialists. A number of fire departments were private clubs. Eventually, the economies grew large enough to allow enough revenue for public support.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:26 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How are airports funded? Should ALL funding be done locally only?
That's a good point, except that many small communities have airports. Airports they funded locally. And most states have several regional airports. On the first page, where the OP showed the map of the proposed HSR, did you note the rail didn't even cross SIXTEEN states. People go on and on and on about how the Eastern seaboard would benefit from HSR, how it would help California so much. So let them build it. But don't ask the people in Nebraska that would get ZERO benefit to help fund it.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:29 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
I can see HSR between major urban points but you need to include short term car rental sites at the stations so people can get to their location for a meeting. Please do not think a business traveler wants to take a milk stop city bus to make it to their meeting. I also think it will would be a big seller for coast to coast due to time/cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies