Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times

Advertisements

The OP makes some very good points. But that means you live in section 8 housing, which isn't such a good choice and that means you are limited on school choices and likely not the best schools for kids. All this also goes out the window if you have no kids. Once kids leave, you're screwed for the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Here's what I said the last time this very same BS was posted (no need to re-write it):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16750255-post87.html

Here is the thread:

The GROSSLY abused 'entitlement' system has to end... NOW

Do you people ever tire of posting the same things over and over again? A person on government assistance does better than someone making 60K/year, there is always a minority in the grocery store that uses an EBT card, has a handicap sticker and drives off in a luxury vehicle, blacks voted for Obama because they want free stuff, liberals are jealous of the rich and want to take their money, and 47% of the population are takers.

These conservatives who chain email this stuff are sick in the head. The type of mentality a person would possess to bs themselves into believing that a single mom headed family or any family making 14,500 is living as well or better than a family making 60,000 is astonishing.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
I think that is the worst case scenario. Not to mention the quality of life for the person making 60k a year is probably better as well.
I'd certinly hope it is;he actaully wortks. but some seem tot hink not workig and havig all that free time is worth it ; not work. A few black work market jobs adds up also.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
The guy that made that chart doesn't know what the heck he is doing. A family of four making $60K doesn't pay any where near $13K in payroll and FIT. Take the $60K subtract out the standard deduction ($11,900) and personal exemptions (4 x $3800) and you are left with $32,900 in taxable income. That gets you a tax bill of $4065. Then subtract out the child tax credit and the tax bill drops to $2065. Add in FICA and you get $6655. That is the maximum assuming that they have no other deductions. Child care tax credits, FSA accounts, and pre-tax health insurance premiums could knock their FIT down to $0 really easily.

If he can't calculate that part right, it doesn't give me much confidence in the rest.
Let's suppose your numbers are right. Then if we plug in $6655 as the tot. fed. tax bill for the $60K familiy, the bottom line becomes $37,777 for the $14.5K family, and $40,745 for the $60K family.

That is still a pretty amazing pair of numbers.

Beyond that, a problem I see with this table is that the welfare family is imputed $16K of income for their medical, while that line is zero for the $60K family. But chances are the $60K family has a decent health plan thru their employer, which should be counted as imputed income. Then that line might be $10-15K, not zero.

It would be interesting to see what a table based on more realistic numbers would yield. I bet it would be still pretty telling, but no matter what, lefties would find nits to pick and declare the whole thing null &void.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Have we made is so that working a dead end, minimum wage job and living off government welfare, is essentially that same as earning $60,000 a year?

In Entitlement America, The Head Of A Household Of Four Making Minimum Wage Has More Disposable Income Than A Family Making $60,000 A Year | ZeroHedge
Yes, because the 1% rentier will not give up their financial rip off so the only alternative for those not in on the scam is a welfare state. I keep telling you that. The 1% created the welfare state. If you box someone in a cell, all you can do it feed them. Pay the land value tax or shut your land rentier traps including those in Wall Street sticking their interest drawing mortgage fangs into it. . You did this.

The political debate is welfare vs landed gentry.

The productive populace is now a politically insignificant minority. Capital and labor work for all you leaches.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 768 times
Smile It's true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
These conservatives who chain email this stuff are sick in the head. The type of mentality a person would possess to bs themselves into believing that a single mom headed family or any family making 14,500 is living as well or better than a family making 60,000 is astonishing.

I know one- I made 67k last yr - I have no kids. My friend who has 3 kids and doesn't work had way more income than me to spend every month she had more food stamps than they could eat, nice apartment with rent 100% paid (nicer than my apartment), utility discounts, medical expenses paid, and childcare discounts.

By the time I buy a meager amout of groceries, pay my medical expenses, my rent (which is less than her rent), and our similar bills like utilities- she has way more money each month than I do. So, I would have been better off financially and stress-wise having kids at 18 years old, rather than going to college and getting a 60k a year job. I also have students loans I pay on every month - of course she has none. They go out to eat, have nice clothes, and her car is new. I would say that her standard of living and mine are similar - maybe hers is a little better. She can get medical services I cannot - I have to pay a huge amount just to walk into an emergency room. She goes there all the time for free with medicaid. That is just the way it is.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4545 View Post
I know one- I made 67k last yr - I have no kids. My friend who has 3 kids and doesn't work had way more income than me to spend every month she had more food stamps than they could eat, nice apartment with rent 100% paid (nicer than my apartment), utility discounts, medical expenses paid, and childcare discounts.

By the time I buy a meager amout of groceries, pay my medical expenses, my rent (which is less than her rent), and our similar bills like utilities- she has way more money each month than I do. So, I would have been better off financially and stress-wise having kids at 18 years old, rather than going to college and getting a 60k a year job. I also have students loans I pay on every month - of course she has none. They go out to eat, have nice clothes, and her car is new. I would say that her standard of living and mine are similar - maybe hers is a little better. She can get medical services I cannot - I have to pay a huge amount just to walk into an emergency room. She goes there all the time for free with medicaid. That is just the way it is.
Thank you for this opinion piece about your "friend" you have.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Clearly this list is way off if they choose not to include the benefits (like health insurance) of a 60k job.

Section 8 vouchers are also not really that common; they issue a limited number that are given away by lottery. The largest city in the country had only 102,000 as of this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/ny...anted=all&_r=0
I actually am against low income housing more than any other kind of welfare, but to portray it as part of a general problem is incorrect because it is a rare luxury (which is why it wastes money and doesn't actually help the general population of poor people).

Are you also against the widespread local policies (exclusionary zoning, NIMBY, excessive taxatiion and regulation of rentals) that make low income housing so scarce and expensive?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Have we made is so that working a dead end, minimum wage job and living off government welfare, is essentially that same as earning $60,000 a year?

In Entitlement America, The Head Of A Household Of Four Making Minimum Wage Has More Disposable Income Than A Family Making $60,000 A Year | ZeroHedge
No. Have you ever spent time with a family receiving government welfare? Believe me, you wouldn't trade places with them for anything.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:38 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
Those on welfare should have a much lower standard of living than anyone who is working. This is why the lower working class should not vote Democrat (and many don't which confuses Dems).

Many bring up a good point about kids. If you have children you have nothing to worry about whatsoever, You will be taken care of. If you don't have kids watch out, the system is set against you. You will be paying taxes to support other peoples children. If you are down on your luck you could very well end up on the streets, welfare handouts are for parents only, mostly single moms who are married to the state,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies