Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,998,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
But the court went beyond the pale “The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity.” This type of crap is not what we expect from the SCOTUS.
I'm purposely not voicing an opinion one way or the other on same sex marriage. Simply discussing the legal effect of the ruling.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,238,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Their leaders have turned from God putting the country at risk. Still we will keep the faith I compare our struggle to those of the first Christians our faith is being tested but that's what it means to be a Christian. We will fight the forces of evil, the Devil will not win.

I still don't understand how that undermines their spiritual world.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,472,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
History News Network

This reasoning sounds familiar.
Sounds very familiar to me. Cannot rep you again.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,472,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Excellent. You acknowledge that homosexuality is not a race and has nothing whatsoever to do with race.
I never said it was a race. What does race have to do with equality? How stupid.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 PM

1,137 posts, read 970,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You are not a scholar- There is no way you have enough knowledge about a book of law that is ancient..to even comment- Do you know how many people I see on the net who use the unoriginal phrase "fairy tales" ? Hundreds! The bible does have some tall tales but it also has some great wisdom and accurate accounts of history....BUT what am I to expect from most - Even most Catholic Christians think that the IMMACULATE conception is the conception of Jesus Christ...when in fact a common dictionary will tell you it is the conception of Mary...if religious people are that stunned _ I am sure that those who are not religious what so ever KNOW nothing about the book of "fairy tales".
Which biblical tales are historically accurate?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,428,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And I'm planning my wedding!
May you live gayly ever after.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,293,396 times
Lol! I'm watching Newt Gingrich on the news, trying to defend the sanctity of marriage.
If anyone is an expert on the sanctity of marriage, it's Newt.
It's like Keith Richards defending clean living.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,355,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I don't hate gays at all, and I am not especially religious. But if you are looking for a Biblical reference, read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. The New English Bible (Oxford/Cambridge) has a straightforward, easy-to-read translation of the original text (around Genesis 18-19). Has nothing to do with tattoos or fabrics.
Has nothing to do with homosexuals either.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:02 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,311,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
We can't prove a negative. however, you are positive that your "God" exists. If he does, then you have evidence.

Please provide this evidence.

You are the one who has proof he does not exist. You can not prove that what is in the bible is not true. Prove it is a lie and I will believe you.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:39 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,277,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
[The Biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah] Has nothing to do with homosexuals either.

"The men of Sodom, both young and old, surrounded the house -- everyone without exception. They called to Lot and asked him where the men were who had entered his house that night. 'Bring them out' they shouted, 'so that we can have intercourse with them.' Lot . . . said 'No, my friends do not be so wicked. Look, I have two daughters, both virgins; let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them.'" . . .

"The Lord rained down fire and brimstone from the skies on Sodom and Gomorrah. He overthrew those cities and destroyed all the Plain, with everyone living there and everything growing in the ground."

-- New English Bible, Genesis 19.

This is a very clear teaching against homosexuality, taken from a highly credible translation of the Bible (Oxford and Cambridge). It is also the origin of the word "sodomy," which, acording to the Oxford English Dictionary, encompasses homosexuality.

Immediately, apologists will attack Lot's behavior in offering up his daughters, or prattle on about the irrelevance of religion, or assert that God is a meanie. NONE OF THESE IS THE POINT HERE. Rather, the point is that anyone who claims that the Bible teaches against homosexuality only in a trivial way -- which is an old trick and which has been claimed in this thread -- is either ignorant, a liar, or both. Do whatever you want in your bedrooms (I couldn't care less), but stop misrepresenting Biblical teaching in an attempt to spread your sordid philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.