Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You guys dont even understand the ruling, do you?

The ruling requires the federal government to recognize state marriages, its too early to applaud if equal treatment can be denied at the state level.
I understand that. I can go get married in another state, and the FEDERAL government must treat my marriage just like any other, even if my home STATE doesn't.

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You have your right to live however you wish, but you do not have the right to force your way of life on others. I pay taxes too, why is it okay that my money goes towards benefits for straight people while I cannot be legally married? I should not have to support your marriage or your way of life. Your freedom of religion is also my freedom from religious persecution.
Tax money is paid to the federal government to support THE GOVERNMENTS priorities.. if you dont like your government supporting causes, then you should oppose the government spending money on those programs.. Thats how it works.

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I pay taxes just like everyone else, and I do not appreciate my money used to kill babies, or to support immorality. Period. It is (was) my constitutional right to live my life as dictated by my faith. That right has been thrown out the window.
So no legislation can pass that's not in accordance with the tenets of every conceivable faith held by any taxpayer anywhere? Is that the basis of your victimization complex?

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Only a portion of DOMA was struck down. The situation is still as it always has been: it's entirely a state issue. This court isn't going to force gay marriage on the states that oppose it.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
People still discriminate in todays day and age, to pretend otherwise is crazy. Muslims discriminate against women for example, but that religion is going nowhere anytime soon.
Ideally, just because you belong to a religion does not mean that you can violate the rights of others (and the law) in the practicing of it. Some religions believe that the only way to properly practice it is to sacrifice animals...you would be hard pressed to find someone who believes that we should legalize animal sacrifice to appease the adherents to those particular religions.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I understand that. I can go get married in another state, and the FEDERAL government must treat my marriage just like any other, even if my home STATE doesn't.
Exactly, and over time, the states will of course all come to the synopsis that they must recognize each others just like they have in the past.

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
I pay taxes just like everyone else, and I do not appreciate my money used to kill babies, or to support immorality. Period. It is (was) my constitutional right to live my life as dictated by my faith. That right has been thrown out the window.
How so?

Where, in this ruling, does it say that you have to marry someone of the same sex or abort your next pregnancy?

Is the mere presence of married gay people in the world going to corrupt your faith? Is your faith so weak?

Seriously?

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
That is not that the ruling is about. This ruling is about spending tax money to support gay marriages.
You're playing the victim card really well. Take cover, the sky is falling!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Ideally, just because you belong to a religion does not mean that you can violate the rights of others (and the law) in the practicing of it. Some religions believe that the only way to properly practice it is to sacrifice animals...you would be hard pressed to find someone who believes that we should legalize animal sacrifice to appease the adherents to those particular religions.
But at one time, that was considered the norm, to not only sacrifce animals, but also people. Societies "progress", but this doesnt mean that when they did it, it was wrong.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Basically what DOMA was, was the federal government trying to tell a state what their marriage laws must be, that is what was struck down. States make their own marriage laws, the feds have no right to stick their noses into that.
And now there is precedence to have STATE DOMA laws struck down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies