Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,765,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Question - how does this work now? You have a state where gay marriage is illegal. Gay couple, legally married in another state, moves there. According to opinion, states can continue to not recognize that gay marriage. Won't that complicate benefits though? A lot of benefits are based upon where you live.

Also, what about places which take Federal funding. Say a University doesn't offer a gay couple married insurance benefits. That University accept Federal funding but the state where it is located doesn't recognize gay marriage. Can the University not recognize it either for purposes of insurance?

I see this decision creating a myriad of problems and likely a ton more lawsuits.
A state banning marriage from happening still stands; however, their is going to now be lawsuits related to State benefits for people who say get married in Mass and move to say a state that bans same sex marriage from happening.

If you can get Federal tax benefit status for your personal situation, it would be a hard fight for a State not to have to follow suit. I just don't see how it would stand up in tax court to have your status for tax purposes approved at the Federal level but denied at the State level.

It is going to be a confusing couple years on the State tax level. Many lawsuits coming.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,669,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If you openly support issues that not only contradict His word but mock Him you are without God. If you want to be with God follow His word. If you're offended then change.
How about you just go ahead and follow whatever god you choose, as you choose, and not worry about what others do in that regard?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,537,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not true. Marriage benefits are only for married people. Common sens.
\
Seems you missed the whole picture when I wrote that. Where do the marriage benefits come from? The trees of taxes? Taxes are a general pot where the money is split up for lots of programs, not just married people. That is my point. Take care.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,981,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
A state banning marriage from happening still stands; however, their is going to now be lawsuits related to State benefits for people who say get married in Mass and move to say a state that bans same sex marriage from happening.

If you can get Federal tax benefit status for your personal situation, it would be a hard fight for a State not to have to follow suit. I just don't see how it would stand up in tax court to have your status for tax purposes approved at the Federal level but denied at the State level.

It is going to be a confusing couple years on the State tax level. Many lawsuits coming.
That's what I was thinking. I mean it does seem it would cause a lot of confusion. A lot of states base their tax returns on federal. I foresee a lot of work on hammering this all out.

Wonder how it affects places which accept Federal funding but are located in states that ban same sex marriage.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,537,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is a big difference between paying for something you disagree with, and paying for something which you consider immoral, like abortion and gay marriage.
Still, the point is the same. All our taxes are split up in so many areas. I do not think there is a single area WE all agree with. That is my point. Take care.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM

991 posts, read 1,105,077 times
Quote:
If you openly support issues that not only contradict His word but mock Him you are without God. If you want to be with God follow His word. If you're offended then change.
<----this kind of thinking still exists in 2013?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,905,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I wonder if there's any way to tie this into federal charges not being filed for marijuana legality in the states that have made it legal?

If the state legalizes then the Feds shouldn't charge those in that state for something considered legal.
I think the drug war cases dealing with federal preemption might just be what brings down all of the state laws and constitutional amendments that prohibit same sex marriage. If federal laws like the Controlled Substances Act always trump state laws when it comes to full legalization or medical marijuana, why wouldn't that same concept apply to other state laws as well.

I will love it if the rabid drug warriors on the court like Scalia are hoisted by their own petard when their decsions are used against them to force the states to accept gay marriage.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,981,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think the drug war cases dealing with federal preemption might just be what brings down all of the state laws and constitutional amendments that prohibit same sex marriage. If federal laws like the Controlled Substances Act always trump state laws when it comes to full legalization or medical marijuana, why wouldn't that same concept apply to other state laws as well.

I will love it if the rabid drug warriors on the court like Scalia are hoisted by their own petard when their decsions are used against them to force the states to accept gay marriage.
I believe that's why the decision was explicit in saying it was not a Federal definition of marriage and that still belongs exclusively to the states.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,627,057 times
Quote:
Their spiritual world is ending. You are without God so it is difficult for you to comprehend. For sure with the loony logic of Kennedy next step is to force all states to force gay marriage.
How is their spiritual world ending?

My faith in Christ is just as strong today as it was yesterday.
Actually, no, my faith is stronger today because today I believe that it is possible to show love for one's neighbor as HE commanded.

Anyone who is now suffering a crisis of faith because the Supreme Court has affirmed that all people should be treated equally, again as HE commanded, clearly had no true faith to begin with.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
<----this kind of thinking still exists in 2013?
I know growing up is hard but you will learn that not everyone has the same beliefs as you, time to get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies