Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,611,961 times

Advertisements

Why is it so important to you religious fanatics to have religion present in school? Are you concerned that absent indoctrination, people will not adhere to your false religion?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,071,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Why is it so important to you religious fanatics to have religion present in school? Are you concerned that absent indoctrination, people will not adhere to your false religion?
Godless heathen here. Actually by telling the class that they cannot follow ANY religion, is in contravention to the First Amendment. Since - NON-religion could be construed as a religious edict.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech..."

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,470,333 times
Ya know this may just backfire on atheists. You know what kids want to do when you tell them not to do something. It may be smarter not to make such a big deal out of God, or any other deity if you want your kid to be atheist. The most strict atheist of them, Madeline Murry O'hare's son is now a Protestant minister.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM

10,020 posts, read 9,473,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Why is it so important to you non-religious fools have every aspect of religion removed from school?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Why is it so important to you non-religious fools have every aspect of religion removed from school?
Don't answer a question with a question. Why do you care? Why is it important to you? What difference does it make?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Actually by telling the class that they cannot follow ANY religion, is in contravention to the First Amendment.
I would actually tend to agree with that, but it's not important. I want to hear from religious people who desperately WANT religion to be put back into schools, and understand their reasoning. I've never, ever heard a good answer to that, but who knows, perhaps I will someday.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,000,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've yet to see a liberal come to the defense of "God" although they are very quick to point out that "there are Christians liberals too!!!!!!"

Their silence speaks volumes.
I'd guess that this is so because you prefer to read and listen selectively and only pay attention to those bits and pieces that fit your pre-conceived notions.

I, for one, fully embrace the separation of church and state. As such, religion (any religion) has nothing no place on anything that is official school business provided that the school is a public school.

That said, separating church and state has NOTHING to do with a student's beliefs or his/her expression of such UNLESS that student functions as an official representative of the school.

If the school requests or permits that students read their own poems, then the school needs to accept that some students may mention god, allah, or thor.

To me, this is simply an idiot misunderstanding what separation of church and state means - this is NOT it!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,569,421 times
If this were my child and had been made to deny God, that school would have a law suit on their hands for violating its civil rights to free speech and the acknowledgement of the right to believe in God. This childs rights were violated in a big way.

I don't ever read links for security reasons, but as I understand it, this was an individual paper. What I think or what my child would think should have nothing to do with separation of church of state. When everyone is asked to do something the rules change. Our constitution protects our right to freedom of speech and religion. With this kind of stupidity in the schools, no wonder our children are not learning as they should. Teachers are being too busy being politically correct to spend any time teaching.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times
How come the link is to some unknown website called the Examiner?

I'd think FOX would be all over this story.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,446,833 times
I think the kids parents are to blame. They're probably some uneducated bible thumpers that didn't know any better.

It's pretty sad when you think about it. Hopefully CPS takes a look at what's going on in that kids home and possibly brings the child into custody before she drops out and gets pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.