Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm not Congress but since they have to provide him a budget that he will sign, he needs to tell them what's acceptable -- but spending cuts must be made.

Obama could eliminate entire government departments and programs -- starting with the least effective ones. Or he could streamline welfare handout programs into one -- all the free meals at schools, WIC, food stamps are just duplications of each other. You could end much paperwork by just having one welfare program, cut TANF completely which is just the big cash giveaway. End EITC -- that would save a lot of money.

I think everything added after 1960 should be on the chopping block. I would be proud of Obama for proposing to cut them all out of the budget.
For god's sake man. Go read the Constitution. Just once.

Figure out the differences between the legislative and executive branches for just once in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
From that link --

Republican leaders acknowledge the federal government needs more revenue to cut its roughly $16 trillion deficit and that party members to accomplish that goal might break from a decade’s-old pledge not to increase taxes.

Obviously the Republicans have laid out taxes on the table to show their willingness to compromise. So where is Obama's spending cuts? Or the democrats?

Or is this only some political ploy by the democrats to see the GOP hurt itself by agreeing to tax increases while they sit by not proposing a single spending cut?

Bad time to be playing politics people.
They are ALL playing politics and posturing to the best of their ability. But, you knew that, right? You think Boehner is not playing games? I assure you ~ he is. Both sides probably already each have a good idea of what their bottom line is. But ~ they sure aren't going to share it at this point.

It's like that in any negotiation really; but I do think politicians have taken it to extremes. ALL POLITICIANS.

I just feel like I have to spell that out here.

Last edited by Ringo1; 12-01-2012 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Fiscal Year 2013 Budget | Budget.House.Gov

Those are the ones proposed.
No they are not. There is currently no Republican offer on the table whatsoever.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
From that link --

Republican leaders acknowledge the federal government needs more revenue to cut its roughly $16 trillion deficit and that party members to accomplish that goal might break from a decade’s-old pledge not to increase taxes.
So when they actual make an offer, we'll see if they mean it. To this point they have offered exactly nothing.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Look, I could argue with you all day, but I'm not going to chase just any old red herring just because you want to distract from the fact that yesterday you read the wrong column from a spread sheet.

Bush inherited a multi-hundred billion dollar surplus from the Clinton adminsitration. He proceeded to fritter it away with his tax cuts (which remain the single biggest contributpor to our structural deficit) two foreign wars and an unpaid for Medicare pharmacy benefit.

This is objective, noncontroversial, historical fact.
I suppose I could refer to your typing mistakes but then I would be as petty as you.

Anyways, let's let Clinton tell you in his 2001 budget proposal:

Quote:
Because contributions to Social Security have been greater than the benefits paid out, the Social Security trust funds have been accumulating surpluses. In the unified budget, these Social Security surpluses are counted toward the unified surplus. Without the Social Security surplus, the unified budget would not have been balanced in 1998.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BUDGET-...T-2001-BUD.pdf

Double-speak translation:
"Unless we robbed the trust funds and engaged in double-counting there would have been no surpluses."

Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
No they are not. There is currently no Republican offer on the table whatsoever.
Sure there is and it's been a longstanding one at that.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I suppose I could refer to your typing mistakes but then I would be as petty as you.
But still not as right.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Sure there is and it's been a longstanding one at that.
You appear to have no idea how a negotiation works. The Ryan plan is not on the table.

The only detailed plan currently on the table is Obama's. From the Republicans we have heard exactly nothing.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
You appear to have no idea how a negotiation works. The Ryan plan is not on the table.

The only detailed plan currently on the table is Obama's. From the Republicans we have heard exactly nothing.
Um, if there were no negotiations on the table what did Obama and Boner (snickers) talk about?

Where did Obama get the idea that he could submit an unlimited debt ceiling and stimulus in his proposal?

I think you're being a bit naive in regards to what the proposals are.

Obama has commissioned, well, a commission and appointed people who have told him exactly what he should be doing to change the course of insolvency for the U.S. and yet he ignored them all the way through it.

Now you expect Obama to listen to his opposition?

It seems like maybe we should refer to Einstein on this one...

Obama is an all politics all the time type of person and he certainly won't let sending the U.S. into financial ruin get in his way.

Heck, maybe that's what he wants...

Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:

Obama's plan was nothing but a joke -- a poor attempt at humor or something by Obama. It didn't contain any real spending cut and in fact was more big spending increases. They laughed at it -- but it wasn't all that funny of a thing to pull at a time like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies