Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It erased my lack of concern for those I believe are headed to hell.
Uh, not really... you said pretty much the opposite, that you NOW go around worrying about people who disagree with your chosen path. I've never understood the judgmental born-agains, since I'd think somebody who used to believe otherwise would have more tolerance for differing religions. Guess not. I actually do know a wonderful woman who's a born-again, but she seems to be in the minority with her tolerance & love for others. Not once has she preached at me, or said anything about my being an Agnostic Jew (other than positive words). She will speak of her own beliefs, but never in a way that condescends, condemns, or belittles others. I wish all Christians could take a lesson from her!

P.S. We don't want or need your concern, thanks. Worry about yourself, and don't push or guilt your religion on to me - then we'll get along just fine.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I actually do know a wonderful woman who's a born-again, but she seems to be in the minority with her tolerance & love for others. Not once has she preached at me, or said anything about my being an Agnostic Jew (other than positive words).
It seems to me that if she really cared about you she would try to keep you from the fires of hell.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
It seems to me that if she really cared about you she would try to keep you from the fires of hell.
LOL... I'm not going into any eternal fantasy of fire, and she cares enough to trust I know my own path. Mind your own business, and stop projecting your delusions onto me. Mkay? Thanks!

Btw, bullying and attempting to scare people won't change how they feel inside - did my calling your hell a "fantasy" crumble your faith? I doubt it. So what makes you think your (to me) nonsensical rambling will change what's in MY heart & mind? Furthermore, the Torah forbids converting; but I know Christians conveniently ignore or accept whichever of the original passages meet their agenda.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-03-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Originally Posted by spm62
Funny how liberals accuse conservatives of waging a war on women, war on gays, war on minorities, war on illegal immigrants, war on seniors, war on the poor, etc. But when the tables are turned and the liberals are accused of a war on Christmas, they go into denial. Instead of intelligently defend their point of view...they attack and name call. Liberals are the most intolerant hypocritical people I know. They talk about how they are so inclusive and open minded but all they do is attack and label anyone that disagrees with them. It`s hilarious to watch them try to defend a position. All they do is attack and call people names.

Quote:
This isn't a liberal vs conservative thing, it's a selective group of whiny self-righteous Christian zealots having a fantasy. Period.
I rest my case

Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
LOL... I'm not going into any eternal fantasy of fire, and she cares enough to trust I know my own path. Mind your own business, and stop projecting your delusions onto me. Mkay? Thanks!

Btw, bullying and attempting to scare people won't change how they feel inside - did my calling your hell a "fantasy" crumble your faith? I doubt it. So what makes you think your (to me) nonsensical rambling will change what's in MY heart & mind? Furthermore, the Torah forbids converting; but I know Christians conveniently ignore or accept whichever of the original passages meet their agenda.
As you choose.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I rest my case
How so? I didn't say all Christians fit those descriptions, now did I? I've also never personally called anything a WAR except the ones our military fight - so nope, nothing hypocritical to see here.

I don't give a darn what you celebrate, who you worship, or even if you want to believe in this fantasy war. Go right ahead! That is the meaning of tolerance, which doesn't require accepting or acknowledging what I know to be false... it only requires accepting that others will disagree, and not attempting (or proposing laws) to coerce them into changing. For example, I don't expect a Christian to accept my religious beliefs, even if I felt they were wrong in rejecting it. I respect that we have different beliefs, and support your/their right to practice as they choose. The OP is not being tolerant, as they've said flat-out "I will demand everyone say & do what I want, and wish to dominate/convert everyone in the minority." How tolerant is that?

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-03-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
As you choose.
I don't need your permission or blessing, but thanks anyway I guess.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
I was a deist many years ago but always respected those who were earnestly seeking God through whatever religion. Now that I have become a Christian, I do the same, but I feel an unavoidable sadness when I see decent, sincere people following what I believe is the wrong path. In any case, thank you for sharing our celebration of Jesus's birth!
Yeah, I get that. I think anyone who has empathy for their fellow humans would feel the same. I feel that way too when I see what I consider is corruption of some people by irresponsible and sociopath preachers and the like. There are definitely people who are easily led by the more charismatic amongst us and I feel for them in their gullibility.

However, we all choose our own destiny, and we all have the right to do so. I think everything that is not taken to the extreme has it's pros and cons but is generally coming from the right place individually speaking. Most people, IMO, honestly strive to live a life that doesn't cause harm to others, regardless of their ideological bent.

All shades of the spectrum are guilty of not following the live and let live creed, some more repressively than others. It's when you curtail other people's freedom to follow their concience that you start crossing the line, and that goes for the more militant anti religion crowd as well as the intolerant religious zealot. Neither have the right, in my view.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:30 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
BINGO! Oh the power of small interest groups and there millions of dollars such as the ACLU and Freedom of Religion foundation. This is what the deniers of " War on Christmas" and "war on religion" don't get, unless they are purposely pretending it doesn't exist. I mean its right on your face. Im not saying that these groups don't protect the freedom of people who have real establishment clause issues, but you cant deny that they don't go around the country attacking and being unreasonable.
That's not a War On Christmas, that's a war on Christmas displays in government spaces. Technically it's illegal to use government money for religious expression in that fashion. Yes people looked the other way for years but apparently now that's starting to be over. But guess what? You still have Christmas every freaking where you go, just not at the post office or city hall in an explicit way. So instead of 100% Christmas coverage, it's 80% Christmas coverage. Oh the tragedy.

And guess what? I celebrate Christmas and I'm not an atheist. But you're still whining IMO.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That's not a War On Christmas, that's a war on Christmas displays in government spaces. Technically it's illegal to use government money for religious expression in that fashion. Yes people looked the other way for years but apparently now that's starting to be over. But guess what? You still have Christmas every freaking where you go, just not at the post office or city hall in an explicit way. So instead of 100% Christmas coverage, it's 80% Christmas coverage. Oh the tragedy.

And guess what? I celebrate Christmas and I'm not an atheist. But you're still whining IMO.
Hey spm62 - now I rest MY case! See, it isn't just me who believes this war is fictional & people need to stop whining about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies