Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 PM

488 posts, read 412,683 times

Advertisements

Isn't it bedazzling how these two founts of official American wisdom will go on about a secular 'war on x-mas' yet never question seriously the consumerist orgy a serious religious observance has become? Especially these two, so apparently outraged at what a garnered tree is referred to, spewing nonsense meant to invoke ire at a time when some remember snuggly stories about a poor little homeless godhead being born in hay at a manger because they didn't have enough trade for a room at the inn? Priceless.

Such hypocrisy! Though who would subsidize that sort of talk-talk opining about poor children in mild December climes born in stables? Nobody who works for the serious MSM. It's all about viewers spending money by not upsetting that apple cart- incorrectly. Who comprises this core audience- 'progressive' liberals? I wonder some times...

As far as they are concerned it is all about the great grabbings-at of the Festivus Pole. As long as consumers keep consuming many hot 'bargains' made in slavery to be sold to a listless audience looking for a feeling, any feeling. So instead of this being a time for a spiritual affair meant to foster goodwill & a sense of communal peace as winter settled in, when people were glad to have what they had that didn't involve return receipts and getting crass gift cards from a giver who has no clue whatsoever what the recipient might enjoy, we justly have manufactured outrage over what a decorated tree is called.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Funny how liberals accuse conservatives of waging a war on women, war on gays, war on minorities, war on illegal immigrants, war on seniors, war on the poor, etc. But when the tables are turned and the liberals are accused of a war on Christmas, they go into denial. Instead of intelligently defend their point of view...they attack and name call. Liberals are the most intolerant hypocritical people I know. They talk about how they are so inclusive and open minded but all they do is attack and label anyone that disagrees with them. It`s hilarious to watch them try to defend a position. All they do is attack and call people names.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 PM

688 posts, read 652,246 times
Instead of taking Ben Stein and O'reilly's word for it, why not just ask a a few Atheists? After all, Stein and O'Reilly are both two over opinionated secondary sources.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Of course, your post is not on topic at all since it doesn't say one thing that was mentioned in the OP or the link in it. You are just a left handed attacker of the messenger with not one word about his message.

I didn't hear Stein talk about the past election in the TV show but maybe he did say something about it. Unless he did you are totally off topic attacking him with no knowledge of what he said.
Why are you suddenly acting like the "off-topic" police? So you've never inserted an off-topic rant about "libs" that wasn't 100% related to the OP? I'm quite sure you have, lol. Not to mention, any thread that lasts more than a couple of page is bound to stray, but for some reason I don't see you complaining about all of the other threads where that happens.

P.S. In my moderator days, I would not have considered their post off topic at all... they are discussing the issue quite clearly, and I'd actually say you're the only one ranting off topic! Go ahead and report their post, and see if the current mods agree with me.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-30-2012 at 11:22 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Well-known Ben Stein (A Jew) appeared on Fox News today and spoke about 'War on Christmas'. He said that Christmas is a Christian holiday, and is a beautiful holiday to celebrate the birth of a peaceful, loving, and most influential man who walked on this Earth 2,000 years ago. This is after some atheists groups and leaders who have showed their arrogance toward the holiday, wants to abolish Christmas from public, and wants the holiday not observed by the federal due to "separation of church and state" despite that Christmas has been ruled as constitutional by the congress, and has been observed as a national holiday for centuries, and is today the most popular and widely known and celebrated holiday. 96% of Americans celebrate Christmas, whether for religious or secular reason.

Watch the news clip and read more about it on http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ben-stein...ry-and-bitter/

Ben Stein is telling the truth. This is very sad what few intolerant minorities are trying to destroy and take away the cultural and traditional religious holiday from us...
Hilarious. The fact is, most atheists in the US celebrate Christmas. It's a goofy holiday, but so is the one where kids dress in costumes and go for to door demanding candy, or where we shoot of fireworks because the guys who wrote the Constitution gave "Us" "Our" freedoms.

Fact is, O'reilly and Stein are engaged in yet another nativist freakout. They're horrified to discover that not every American is exactly like them, and so they flail about in front of cameras. Oh no, nonwhites voted for Obama. Oh no, people like "Opa Gangham Style". Oh no, some people aren't Christian! Panic, panic, panic! Who cares?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
No war on Christmas?

* "Happy Holidays" changed instead of "Merry Christmas"
* No more nativity scenes, and sometimes not even Christmas trees.
* "Holiday tree", "holiday lights", "holiday season", "holiday gifts", etc.
* Christmas Day insults militants atheists because 99% of Americans don't work.
* Christmas a "secular" or "Pegan" holiday.

and you're saying there's no war on Christmas...
Things as big as Christmas in a Christian nation can only be destroyed a little bit at a time and what you have listed here is a picture of just that. Don't let them get to you. Just hit back and laugh at them when they have to get nasty.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Funny how liberals accuse conservatives of waging a war on women, war on gays, war on minorities, war on illegal immigrants, war on seniors, war on the poor, etc. But when the tables are turned and the liberals are accused of a war on Christmas, they go into denial. Instead of intelligently defend their point of view...they attack and name call. Liberals are the most intolerant hypocritical people I know. They talk about how they are so inclusive and open minded but all they do is attack and label anyone that disagrees with them. It`s hilarious to watch them try to defend a position. All they do is attack and call people names.
Oh, so this is just a "liberal" issue now? So please explain why both liberals & conservatives alike seem to agree there is no "war on Christmas?" I don't even recall the OP bringing political leanings into the discussion, in fact so far I've only seen you & two other conservatives (like roysoldboy & Dale Cooper) trying to make this a left vs right issue.

This isn't a liberal vs conservative thing, it's a selective group of whiny self-righteous Christian zealots having a fantasy. Period.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,371 times
Well....there are real people in this world despite the noise from the gallery's. The idea of giving, value and sacrifice juring the season and throughout is real and will always be the striking lively chord in the human species, unless theres largely an experience or environment issue. which indecently as we know is very understandable. Heres a guy who would be for real, being real is what is missing in todays world of thoughtlessness, no doubt about it.

Grocer, 70, gives stores to his employees

Last edited by stargazzer; 11-30-2012 at 11:33 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,262 times
Christmas is to celebrate the birth of a man (or son of God as Christian say), even according to all dictionaries, websites, books, federal, etc. Jesus of Nazareth was the most influential human being who has ever lived, that’s beyond any doubt. So of course, you would honor a person like that (Just like we honor the birth of Washington and Martin Luther King Jr). What Jesus also stood for was peace, and said to turn the other cheek, give forgiveness, love your enemies, etc. It’s all good things. However, it’s not all good, because now we have the seculars/atheists who have tried and wants to remove Christmas from the public square, everything from the word, the displays, and even the federal holiday they would love to repeal it. Unfortunately, there are many angry and bitter people out there who have nothing else to worry about but to attack something, and they find Christmas a good thing to attack, a holiday celebrated by 96% of Americans whether for secular or religious reasons. America is also a predominately a Christian country, and it makes sense observing the Christian holiday of Christmas as a national holiday, because everyone would most likely want to be off on the holiday anyway. The government does not force any individual, company or place to be closed and observe the holiday, but 99% of companies still decide to close down by their own choice. It’s a wonderful and fun holiday, and the most widely known and popular of the year.

We do respect and understand that few minorities who don’t celebrate the holiday. But unfortunately, not everyone could be pleased, and there will be always someone who will be left out regardless, and it’s by their own choice that they are being left out and missing out the great things. Everyone is more than welcome to celebrate Christmas, regardless of religion (or lack thereof) and culture.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 PM

So, I as a Jew should celebrate Christmas just to avoid being left out? No thanks! I don't care about being "left out" anyway, as my family has always enjoyed having the Chinese restaurants and movie theaters to ourselves on Christmas Eve.

There is no war waging, and you really need to get over it now. Will you spend the entire month of December whining and ranting about this? If so, I'd say you are the one disrespecting the holiday - not to mention, you'll end up missing out on all the fun yourself! Seriously, drink an eggnog and enjoy yourself; it will make for a much more pleasant Christmas, I assure you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies