U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 AM

8,096 posts, read 4,692,243 times

Advertisements

Do you know what amazes me more than anything else?.... Water.

Water: A simple introduction to Earth's most amazing substance

I was talking to my sister the other day about the tilt of the Earth's axis, and what if the Earth had no tilt, or what if the tilt was much greater than it is today.

Then we started talking about the moon. What if there was no moon?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,278,900 times
"There's no war on Christmas".

Really?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,278,900 times
More Christmas controversy.. Cannot believe it!

'Christmas tree or holiday tree?' issue haunts R.I. lighting ceremony - latimes.com
Rhode Island Holiday Tree Lighting: Gov. Lincoln Chafee Gives Short Notice To Avoid Protest
Holiday Tree Farms, Inc.
Rhode Island to leave "Christmas" out of tree ceremony - Yahoo! News
Town
http://thefire.org/article/15182.html

Don't you respect this?
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/...appy-holidays/

Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,512,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
"There's no war on Christmas".

Really?

WOW! All that Christmas stuff going on....singing and shopping and lights and decorations!!!!

You're right, there is NO war on Christmas...it looks like it's doing great!!!!

I do feel sorry for those who wallow in bitterness and anger over one word...... (no, I don't really, I enjoy their angst and suffering) How stupid to let one word make one so bitter and angry

Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,968,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So, I as a Jew should celebrate Christmas just to avoid being left out? No thanks! I don't care about being "left out" anyway, as my family has always enjoyed having the Chinese restaurants and movie theaters to ourselves on Christmas Eve.

There is no war waging, and you really need to get over it now. Will you spend the entire month of December whining and ranting about this? If so, I'd say you are the one disrespecting the holiday - not to mention, you'll end up missing out on all the fun yourself! Seriously, drink an eggnog and enjoy yourself; it will make for a much more pleasant Christmas, I assure you.
Alright gizmo, you know how to celebrate! Chinese sounds great, it's a wonderful break from all those lousy chocolate santa clause's, tin can christmas cookies, turkey, canned cranberries, and the other barfy seasonal holiday foods.

Although I am not Jewish, I was raised a Catholic, and do not celebrate Christmas anymore, haven't for 44 years now, fact is, my knees still hurt from kneeling in front of the altar. I am happy being a savage heathan, although, like you, can respect another's wishes to hit the spiked eggnog!

I can say christiainity or religion has never clouded my mind in the manner it does some people.

Enjoy Hanukkah my friend.
Shalom
Are you over reacting to communities or organizations who are trying to be politically correct?
It is impossible to be politically correct in all situations, most people take it stride. Please calm down.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM

11,314 posts, read 7,315,255 times
I'm a Christian, but I would prefer for the government to be non-partial to any religion or denomination. I try not to mix politics and religion. For me, the two don't mix well.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 PM

55,491 posts, read 74,383,428 times
i dont think real atheists do that, my grandfather did not.
i think that ex christians that have picked up a new life style they like alot-- are doing that.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Quote:
Yes, and what about the rest of what I said?
What about it? You deliberately left out the important part of that quote, and the other poster called you out on it... as for the rest of your post, I would say it's a bunch of hogwash. Sorry.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Quote:
Jesus was definitely not like any other random Jew, or any other man. He was without any doubt the most influential man who has ever walked on earth, and his message was love, peace, and forgiveness.
He was the most influential man to CHRISTIANS... to us Jewish people, he was nothing more than a man. A notable man, perhaps, but no more notable than the other Jewish men I mentioned. Should we celebrate their births too?

Quote:
You should honor a person like that worth it.
No I shouldn't, and kindly stop telling me what to do. You wouldn't like me telling YOU what to do or whom to honor, would you? I know you hate freedom, but thankfully we still do have it in this country.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 PM

12,264 posts, read 15,127,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I don't celebrate "corporate" holidays. Religion has no basis in my decision.
Christmas has indeed become a corporate holiday, the birth of our saviour an afterthought. War on Christmas? Where do I enlist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies