U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should it Be Legal to buy Alcohol and Tobacco with Food Stamps?
Yes 18 12.59%
No 123 86.01%
Unsure 2 1.40%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 PM

10,183 posts, read 3,708,559 times

Advertisements

I'm just waiting for someone to scream "RACISM!!!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 PM

22,311 posts, read 17,079,141 times
You can't stop them though. I used to work the pharmacy and lottery/liquer counters in a drug store (many years ago). I was not allowed to cash welfare checks at the lottery/liquer counter. So people would cash their check at the pharmacy counter, then get in line for lottery tickets and beer....your tax dollars hard at work....

Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,305,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You can't stop them though. I used to work the pharmacy and lottery/liquer counters in a drug store (many years ago). I was not allowed to cash welfare checks at the lottery/liquer counter. So people would cash their check at the pharmacy counter, then get in line for lottery tickets and beer....your tax dollars hard at work....
Sure you can, require them to use a welfare credit card that can only be used for certain purchases. With the level of technology available in most stores these days, it should be fairly simple to implement.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 PM

19,518 posts, read 11,655,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I had never thought much about it before, but today I drove by a beer and wine shop that had a big sign saying "we accept food stamps." This was very surprising and upsetting to me. In my opinion, food stamps should be there solely as a safety net to prevent people from starving, they shouldn't enable you to buy things that are not basic life necessities (i.e. luxuries). Luxuries should be something that one can only acquire if one has disposable income that comes from working and contributing to society. By allowing people these luxuries without working for them, you allow people to be comfortable on food stamps, and don't put pressure on them to get jobs and get off of them. If the government were to allow people to only buy the basic necessities with food stamps, the government would put pressure on people to get jobs in order to get what they want but cannot get. This seems relatively obvious to me, and I was somewhat appalled to find out that you can buy alcohol with food stamps. Thoughts?

If you would have stopped by the shop and looked around you would see pop, chips and other snacks, and depending on the area you may have seen bread, milk and eggs; that is what they are accepting food stamps for not alcohol and tobacco.

You made an assumption from a sign posted on a Liquor Store instead of going inside and finding out what the truth is behind the posted sign.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 PM

1,319 posts, read 471,344 times
No

Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 PM

488 posts, read 166,321 times
There should be no SNAP program, period.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,899,830 times
Quote:
Sure you can, require them to use a welfare credit card that can only be used for certain purchases. With the level of technology available in most stores these days, it should be fairly simple to implement.
It already is and no they don't pay for Alcohol and Tabacoo. They do pay for some things I find questionable and they don't pay for others I think they should pay for. In general just food is all they cover not anything else. So you can run to the local gas station where I live, use your food stamps to get...food items being sold there. Where I live many Alchol stores also sell food items.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 PM

12,423 posts, read 6,279,683 times
as long as you buy enough to drown yourself!!! then i'm all for it..

Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 PM

10,129 posts, read 2,885,804 times
Quote:
I had never thought much about it before, but today I drove by a beer and wine shop that had a big sign saying "we accept food stamps." This was very surprising and upsetting to me. In my opinion, food stamps should be there solely as a safety net to prevent people from starving, they shouldn't enable you to buy things that are not basic life necessities (i.e. luxuries). Luxuries should be something that one can only acquire if one has disposable income that comes from working and contributing to society. By allowing people these luxuries without working for them, you allow people to be comfortable on food stamps, and don't put pressure on them to get jobs and get off of them. If the government were to allow people to only buy the basic necessities with food stamps, the government would put pressure on people to get jobs in order to get what they want but cannot get. This seems relatively obvious to me, and I was somewhat appalled to find out that you can buy alcohol with food stamps. Thoughts?

That's the way it used to be.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 PM

13,571 posts, read 5,159,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Money is fungible...econ 101. The only thing a spending restriction does is siphon off some money to the the arbitrage guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies