U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM

9,753 posts, read 13,303,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
He also ignores the hours one must serve per day, 7 days a week when in combat or at sea when calculating pay and worth. When at sea, we regularly put in a minimum of 18 hour work days in the engine room at over 100 degrees. We slept in a coffin rack on a two inch thick sponge with barely enough room to roll over. Yes, we were given four meals a day when at sea. But how many of you ever ate on a ship. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it was horrible. Ever seen a cooked chicken breast that was grey in color? Ever see a cooked sausage inflate from the melted grease and what little meat was in the casing was floating in the grease? Food poisoning happened too frequently. The best meals were straight from a can or from the MREs. That's why the MREs were locked up. We kept getting our hands on them after seeing what was being served on the mess decks. Also we didn't enjoy the safety regulations of OSHA. We also could not sue the military. Our jobs were very dangerous even when not in combat. Do a google search of "USS Iwo Jima LPH-2 October 1990 steam leak" to see what can happen. I was a replacement for one of the ten killed in the fire room (aka boiler room).
Or this:
USS Iowa turret explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or this:
1967 USS Forrestal fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And those are just the more well-known ones. In the early 80's, my dad was on a cleanup crew after a shell exploded in the warped barrel of a mortar during training. He said that they found one of they guy's ears on the windshield of a jeep on the other side of the field. People get knocked off of ships, run over by trucks, have heavy equipment fall on them... stuff blows up... that ER doctor claudhopper was referring to is at basically zero risk of any of this stuff happening to them relative to any other person. It's certainly very hard work, and it's very emotionally and mentally stressful, but they're very, very well-compensated for it... unlike our soldiers.

I don't know where it is that he came under the impression that our soldiers make a whole grip of cash for their service, and hopefully he clicked on that link or will do at least a little bit of personal research to find out a bit more about military life and never again make such asinine comments. They're his right to make, but it shows a profound lack of insight to make them.

Again, I volunteer with the VA and VFW. I meet soldiers, young and old, who can't find work when they come back home and end up homeless as they struggle to find work and wait months, sometimes year, for red tape to clear up so they can get their disability benefits. There isn't enough shelter space here in LA for them, and the VA wants to sell some of the land on the VA complex that was earmarked to be used for veterans to a private real estate developer to put up luxury high-rises, when they should be building temporary housing for our veterans as they try to reacclimate to civilian life and get a leg up in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 08:30 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,616,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
I agree...getting the s***s from powdered runny eggs is NO FUN.

We used the coolaid drink mix (without sugar) to polish our brass. One packet went to 5 gallons of water. We put that one packet in one bucket of water then drop the brass fire hose couplings in the bucket. 5 to 10 minutes later they were shiny. Went to the ship's laundry for their powdered laundry soap to help us clean the bilges. While scrubbing, our hands began to burn. We developed a light chemical burn on our hands from the same soap we used for washing our clothes. After that we washed our clothes in a bucket with general purpose soap and hung them out to dry over the engines. By the end of our four our watch, they were dry and hard as cardboard. They weren't fully clean but they didn't stink the body odor. Some ship's medical ward seem to be fully stocked with Motrin because that's just about the only prescription they gave out unless you had VD.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 PM

9,753 posts, read 13,303,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
It's always personal Dave. They can lie anyway they like. We all know it's not true. They hate everything we stand for. "What do we need all these people and weapons for?" "Why do we need training?" "What's all this gear for?"

So 9/11 doesn't happen again...that's WHY!

They can't grasp basic concepts and reasoning.
Let me reiterate... I'm a liberal. I'm pro-military. I'm all for our soldiers getting the best equipment, the best guns (the whole controversy around not phasing out AR-15 based rifles that were designed 50 years ago and prone to fail in sandy conditions to more reliable, accurate, and lightweight 21st-century Heckler and Koch designs because of lobbyists??), and the best training for the sake of our country and its security. I think it's a shame that they closed Treasure Island and the Presidio in SF; having bases located in some of the most interesting and beautiful places in the US was certainly one of the "perks" of military service.

I'm not for sending them to fight and die for the financial security of rich oilmen or their personal vendettas.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,560,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh, and this "chickenhawk" volunteered for the Navy in 1990 and served for 8 years when a shoulder injury caused me to fail the fitness test and so I was forced out. Arrived on my first ship in Bahrain just after a major steam leak killed ten men,...I was one of their replacements. Served in Desert Storm and Bosnia. Tried to re-enlist after 9/11 hoping for a waiver but was denied.
So you did your service, just like so many of the rest of us did... good for you. Except those of us of the lib-rul persuasion don't seem to share your obsession with going around acting like you're "more patriotic than thou".

Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,616,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
So you did your service, just like so many of the rest of us did... good for you. Except those of us of the lib-rul persuasion don't seem to share your obsession with going around acting like you're "more patriotic than thou".
Was responding to the chickenhawk comments. Have yet to see anyone here defend the links I posted earlier in this topic. They include public school teachers in Maine harassing students whose parents were getting ready to go to Iraq, a professor verbally attacking a student who dared to politely invite him to a ceremony, people on a parade route calling a Marine veteran "murderer!" & "baby killer" as he walked in a 4th of July parade in Washington state, and several others.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,560,331 times
Seems to me we could just as easily turn that around, and ask why conservatives often seem to be such unquestioning authoritarians and supporters of all our military adventures, and yet are always so hostile towards any questions or dissent (BTW, the very constitutional freedoms we were sworn to defend)?

http://thegooddemocrat.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/missionaccomplished.jpg?w=500[/IMG] [IMG]http://rasica.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/patriotism_-_roosevelt.jpg?w=300&h=240

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-06-2012 at 04:38 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 PM

1,685 posts, read 935,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Seems to me we could just as easily turn that around, and ask why conservatives often seem to be such unquestioning authoritarians and supporters of all our military adventures, and yet are always so hostile towards any questions or dissent (BTW, the very constitutional freedoms we were sworn to defend)?
You must not have gotten your memo.........

Here's a little thing us former AND SOME current Military members received.

It's called Oath Keepers

Effects the Military, Military Veterans, Police and Firemen...and former Police and Firemen

WE WILL HONOR OUR OATH TO DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

1. We will NOT obey orders to disarm the American people.

2. We will NOT obey orders to conduct warrantless searches of the American people.

3. We will NOT obey orders to detain American citizens as "unlawful enemy combatants" or to subject them to Military tribunal.

4. We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a "State of emergency" on a State.

5. We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any State that asserts its sovereignty.

6. We will NOT obey an order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps

7. We will NOT obey any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.

8. We will NOT obey orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil agaianst the American people to "keep peace" or to "maintain control".

9. We will NOT obey any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies.

10. We will NOT obey any orders which in fringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their Government for a redress of grievances.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,002,442 times
I loved job but hated the military because of ocifers and NCO's.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-06-2012 at 04:37 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 PM

1,685 posts, read 935,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I loved job but hated the military because of ocifers and dick headed NCO's.
You must have been hard to "break" or break you down.

"Forget all you know...you know NOTHING".

"Don't ever detail strip your weapon or take it down too far in the field".....As the name implies "fieldstripping".

Jesus Judy...some Joe did, just as he was told not to.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-06-2012 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: language

Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,807,983 times
Quote:
For example, an Army corporal would earn regular military compensation of $50,860 after four to six years of service. That total includes $27,200 in basic pay; a nationwide average housing allowance of $14,280, although the actual amount paid varies depending on where the soldier lives; and tax-free allowances or benefits that amount to $4,660. A higher-ranking Army captain who is married would earn $92,200 after about six years on active duty, according to the CBO.
A comparison to civilian wages shows a person in the private sector with some college education or a high school diploma on average earns less than $30,000 a year, a Department of Defense review shows. A civilian with a master's degree or higher earns on average a little more than $60,000.
The military appropriation for each active-duty servicemember has reached just over $100,000, CBO reported.
Escalating Military Pay Under Scrutiny | Military.com

That's not bad. If it's money you want, you can quit and become an outside contractor. I hear that's where the big bucks are.

from your own link sailor
Military Compensation: Army Benefits and Pay | GoArmy.com

You complain about bad food and uncomfortable sleeping quarters! Next you'll be complaining about a hostile work environment. What did you expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies