Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Can't find much of this online. Surprised it didn't make more headlines. Basically an airman came to the school prior to classes to talk with a councelor. He was in his airman uniform and this caused the over reaction. If Selfridge air national guard base wasn't within a 5 minute drive from here I might, just might understand but we see people in their uniforms all the time around here. What a shame that this happened.

Visiting Former L'Anse Creuse Student Causes School Lockdown - Macomb Township, MI Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
According to this report, he was there early in the morning, roaming the halls looking for the counselor and no one knew he was coming. He was still wearing his flak jacket and gun holster. I've seen plenty of uniformed service men/women around town, but never in their flak jacket and gun holster. I don't think this is an overreaction. What adult doesn't know that if you are going to a school, you have to check in with the front office first?

L'Anse Creuse HS evacuation triggered by Selfridge airman - Fox 2 News Headlines

Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
It's like when I decided to stop by the local school to give an impromptu talk about the safely of using chainsaws. I had my chainsaw 'Bubba' with me, and to make sure it was warmed up I started it before I entered the front hallway. To protect my face from chips I was wearing my usual hockey mask. You never heard such screaming from ignorant people!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It's like when I decided to stop by the local school to give an impromptu talk about the safely of using chainsaws. I had my chainsaw 'Bubba' with me, and to make sure it was warmed up I started it before I entered the front hallway. To protect my face from chips I was wearing my usual hockey mask. You never heard such screaming from ignorant people!
I'll bet the ones screaming were liberals too.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:58 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
This is, after all, the desired result of the All-American Gun Culture. We're must always be alert to possible random killing sprees because it's the right of every man, woman and child who hasn't committed a crime YET to wander into any public space fully armed and exercising their Second Amendment rights. The only mistake this school made was in not having every student, teacher and administrator fully armed themselves, so they could have blasted the guy to smithereens like true patriotic Americans.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
According to this report, he was there early in the morning, roaming the halls looking for the counselor and no one knew he was coming. He was still wearing his flak jacket and gun holster. I've seen plenty of uniformed service men/women around town, but never in their flak jacket and gun holster. I don't think this is an overreaction. What adult doesn't know that if you are going to a school, you have to check in with the front office first?

L'Anse Creuse HS evacuation triggered by Selfridge airman - Fox 2 News Headlines
There are some differences in some of the reports. First off one report says it's a winter jacket, and isn't an empty holster just that ... empty ? Not a lot of threat there. Also it was before normal hours so there was know one at the front office. He stopped and spoke with a janitor, whom was the one that set off the lock down. I'm glad they were on top of the situation but it closed down three schools for the day. That seems like a bit of an over reaction to me.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
He stopped and spoke with a janitor, whom was the one that set off the lock down. I'm glad they were on top of the situation but it closed down three schools for the day. That seems like a bit of an over reaction to me.
Again, the school administrators did not know he was showing up. He entered, wandered the halls and left without checking in with school administrators or front office staff. The janitor was suspicious, and alerted proper authorities. Until they located and questioned the individual, they took the prudent step of locking the schools down. I don't see the controversy here... an adult should know not to show up to a school unannounced and wander around without letting anyone know why or that he was even there. I guarantee if this was a former Muslim student (which SE Michigan has plenty of) dressed in a turban, no one would question the lockdown.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM

As for why they closed 3 schools? They did not know where the guy went as he left without talking to anyone. Look at google maps and type in the school names, all three schools are right next to each other on one large plot of land.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
If it were haloween, they would have probably been laughing at you.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,205 times
I would not allow my child to attend a school where random people are allowed to walk around school grounds, uniform or not. The employee did absolutely the right thing.

Homocidal lunatics can put on a military uniform as easily as an actual member of the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies