U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 PM

17,751 posts, read 15,609,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodHarvey View Post
For some odd reason whenever a conservative talks to me I am left without the ability to muster up words. Am I in complete shock of their arguments? Am I holding back laughter? Or am I thoroughly disgusted beyond reason?
Troll much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM

22,412 posts, read 11,545,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Troll much?
People that cannot discuss the issues resort to insulting the opposition.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,038,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The other contaminants are actually a fairly simple problem to solve. Coal is cleaner today than it was in the past. Just like automobile emissions are cleaner today than in the past. Diesel is far cleaner today than in the past. Filtering or destroying emission particulates is actually fairly simple. Which is exactly what your article says. And so if you are arguing that coal can't be cleaned because of mercury and other toxins being released, you have already proved yourself wrong.

http://www.instituteforenergyresearc...ants-final.pdf

The real problem with coal, from what I can tell, is that its nearly impossible to do anything about its primary emission, CO2. When people say "clean coal is impossible", they are really talking about CO2 emissions. Which I agree, there is basically nothing realistically that can be done about CO2 emissions, but I don't see it as a problem.

There are really two types of environmental damage caused by strip mining. There is visible damage, as in taking off the top of a mountain. Then there is sort of the invisible damage of pollution.

The pollution is an easily solvable problem, which only requires polluters to have to pay for any damage caused by their pollution. The other problem is really a problem of property rights. If I own the land in which a mountain resides, can I destroy that mountain? If there is a tall hill in my backyard, do I have the right to destroy that hill?

I'm not a treehugger or outdoorsy person. If a tree or a mountain is standing in the way of human safety and progress, the trees and mountains have to go.
In most cases power plants are resistant to add the extra equipment to reduce coal emissions.

Also notice that the extra equipment is needed in the first place. Why? Because of the process of burning coal inherently releases harmful chemicals into the environment.

So once again there is no such thing as "Clean Coal" there are just ways to mitigate the harmful chemicals released into the atmosphere once coal is burned.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 PM

5,421 posts, read 7,875,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Troll much?
Def. a troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
People that cannot discuss the issues resort to insulting the opposition.
Which sadly happens quite a lot here on C-D. I'm amazed more people posting in POC aren't banned, trolling and inflammatory remarks here are far more common than anything else and people typically don't put up with it very well. Unfortunately, there are only so many mods, but the issue is that anytime one deletes inflammatory comments or trolling the first thing that happens is someone accuses people of being biased.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 PM

9,442 posts, read 5,798,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I'm left speechless because I can't believe that they just blast their buffoonery in my face, they don't even test the waters to see what my political affiliation is, they just assume and if they're wrong then maybe they think they can sway me.
Sounds like every liberal in Seattle.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,943,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
yup.
I decide a couple of years ago to only discuss politics with people in my tax bracket.
The first thing I noticed was I weeded out all the poor liberals who are stuck in the 15% & 25% brackets...

It was nice having adult conversations again
Didn't you find it was mostly liberals who remained, seeing as more are in the upper tax brackets than conservatives? D'oh!!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 PM

30,402 posts, read 20,052,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
This from the people who think dinosaurs are 6,000 years old and support politicians who think there is such a thing as "Legitimate Rape", or this is really such a thing as "Clean Coal".

The View's Whoopi Goldberg on Polanski 'It Wasn't Rape Rape' - YouTube

I guess drugging a thirteen-year-old before pounding her in the *** doesn't meet the liberal threshold for "rape-rape".

Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 11 days ago)

58,082 posts, read 40,863,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
No.

It's because you cannot understand reality.
You mean like the reality that conservatives want to increase military spending, throw more government $$$ at an already bloated government bureaucracy, despite their whiny claims they're the only ones who want to cut the size of government and government spending?

That reality?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:42 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,575,855 times
Quote:
For some odd reason whenever a conservative talks to me I am left without the ability to muster up words. Am I in complete shock of their arguments? Am I holding back laughter? Or am I thoroughly disgusted beyond reason?
My guess is that everything you say looks silly after hearing the truth.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,875,511 times
Quote:
I think maybe it's shock that anybody could be that dumb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or