U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:45 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,133,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"Where's the line to see Jesus?"

It's right there every Sunday morning from the parking lot through the front doors of the church. Once inside there's a line for communion or the altar call or to receive a blessing.

Lots of lines for Jesus, Roy. All you have to do is look in the right place.

Why you are looking for Jesus in the mall I have no idea. Jesus never went to a mall and He never bought a Christmas present. He did, however, draw a crowd when he spoke. Those crowds have become today's churches. And we are all free to make the decision to go to church so we can worship Him. Pretty cool, huh?

p.s. You can even buy nice, wholesome Christmas presents at church craft fairs so you don't have to go to the mall. Woo hoo. People will even wish you a Merry Christmas! Win-win.
I wonder if you even listened to the video. The woman was telling a story about all the little children standing in line to see Santa Claus and this little boy asked her where the line to see Jesus was? Of course, no little kid should think about something like that, should he?

In the story that comes on the internet every year about this thing they say that the woman really had that happen to her and she went home and with her father, who is playing in the video, wrote the song and after many alterations went to a recording company to have it recorded. Too much of story for most atheists, though, I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Your song is pretty lame, though.

This is so much better:

Nat King Cole - This Christmas Song - YouTube

Hey, thanks. I wonder how many people here have never heard Nat sing that song. It is those old songs that I love to hear, along with you. I didn't remember that Nat didn't say anything about the real reason for the season though, and the small boy in my video did say something about just that.

Isn't it something when we old people bring in some of those old songs for the youngers to hear? Thanks, again. That may be my favorite of them all.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM

35,061 posts, read 19,178,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Hey, thanks. I wonder how many people here have never heard Nat sing that song. It is those old songs that I love to hear, along with you. I didn't remember that Nat didn't say anything about the real reason for the season though, and the small boy in my video did say something about just that.

Isn't it something when we old people bring in some of those old songs for the youngers to hear? Thanks, again. That may be my favorite of them all.

Heck, lots of the old timers made excellent xmas albums...

Perry Como, Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, Andy Williams...

Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,546,448 times
Quote:
I wonder if you even listened to the video.
I lasted a good 45 seconds but found the melody and words too insipid and drippy. (What's with all the complaining and angst? It's Christmas, be happy!)

I was in the mood for a good Christmas song so I watched Jose Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad". It's a great, happy song. A-ha!!

Old 12-12-2012, 03:01 PM

55,491 posts, read 74,394,948 times
the entire family values and peace to others is wrapped up in this holiday. its not religious and that is for a reason, we cut other faiths some slack during this period. having said that and loved the video, maybe we can become less war and invasion oriented and go ahead and let church affect state just a little with some peace loving instead of war loving and hatred.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM

22,730 posts, read 16,188,147 times
Quote:
I wonder if you even listened to the video. The woman was telling a story about all the little children standing in line to see Santa Claus and this little boy asked her where the line to see Jesus was? Of course, no little kid should think about something like that, should he?

In the story that comes on the internet every year about this thing they say that the woman really had that happen to her and she went home and with her father, who is playing in the video, wrote the song and after many alterations went to a recording company to have it recorded. Too much of story for most atheists, though, I suspect.
It is an extremely touching story and completely apropos for the season.
I've no idea what the point is that you are trying to make though. Clearly this child had had religious education and understands the reason for the season. Good for his parents for making sure he knows.

The fact remains that people KNOW where to find Jesus - and it isn't in the mall, nor should it be.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,638,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It is an extremely touching story and completely apropos for the season.
I've no idea what the point is that you are trying to make though. Clearly this child had had religious education and understands the reason for the season. Good for his parents for making sure he knows.

The fact remains that people KNOW where to find Jesus - and it isn't in the mall, nor should it be.
Why do you want to kick Jesus out of the Mall? That isn't nice.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM

22,730 posts, read 16,188,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why do you want to kick Jesus out of the Mall? That isn't nice.
Do you think that Jesus wants to be in the mall?

Considering the account of His actions towards the money changers, what do you think His reaction would be to all of those illustrations of gluttony and selfishness?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM

35,061 posts, read 19,178,389 times
Quote:
While watching this video I had to wonder just who would create something like this with that musical background. I wonder if the electrician who created this at his home really ever gave any thought to doing away with Christmas.

Best Christmas Lights Display

The pre-Christian midwinter holiday was to celebrate the return of light after the shortening days of November and December. Lights have played a central role for millenia.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Christmas lights are an extension of the candles used to decorate the Christmas tree in 18th century Germany. The Christmas tree of course predates Christianity and originates from European pagans and their celebration of the winter solstice.

So thank the pagans for these light displays.
I wonder how many of those pagans could have built that kind of light scene. They didn't have electricity back then did they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies