U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 PM

10,958 posts, read 6,110,956 times

Advertisements

Merry Christmas, Roy. Now stop worrying about what anyone else is doing or saying and celebrate and enjoy your holiday in the way that pleases you most. And allow the rest of us to do the same. See how easy that was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,234,776 times
I am pretty sure you failed to read my card. Am I wrong?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,234,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Merry Christmas, Roy. Now stop worrying about what anyone else is doing or saying and celebrate and enjoy your holiday in the way that pleases you most. And allow the rest of us to do the same. See how easy that was?
So very easy. Now how about telling me why the most noise in threads like this one is made by people who sure would like to see the whole Christmas season dead. I think that some day some of you will awaken and then maybe understand that most of the things in that card surely have happened. Christians have sat back and watched it happening for some decades and now that some are fighting back those of the atheist belief are trying to fight back and make the Christians look like the bad guys.

When I was in high school some of us used to joke about Christmas by saying it all wrong but I can't tell you about it here because I don't want to be thrown out completely. I would like to wish all atheists the very wishes we used to joke about but just can't.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,169,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
So very easy. Now how about telling me why the most noise in threads like this one is made by people who sure would like to see the whole Christmas season dead. I think that some day some of you will awaken and then maybe understand that most of the things in that card surely have happened. Christians have sat back and watched it happening for some decades and now that some are fighting back those of the atheist belief are trying to fight back and make the Christians look like the bad guys.

When I was in high school some of us used to joke about Christmas by saying it all wrong but I can't tell you about it here because I don't want to be thrown out completely. I would like to wish all atheists the very wishes we used to joke about but just can't.
Seriously Roy when was the last time anyone tried to prevent you from attending the church of your choice? Has anyone assulted you for wishing them a merry christmas? I haven't seen a post by you relating your own personal expierence of being repressed. Somehow I think you can't do it without fabricating the whole thing. Am I right? I can't fathom your need to live your remaining years in fear. My prescription for you Roy is the next time you want to listen to Glen Beck go for a walk instead. Enjoy the wonders of nature all around you. Take several deep breathes and smile. You'll be a better person for it and you just might live a bit longer too.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:46 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
I think that's an old poem; it mentions Daschle and Rather, who haven't been on the scene for a while. (Rather is some sort of commentator again now, but he doesn't have a regular show like he used to.)

Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 AM

13,989 posts, read 10,935,247 times
Quote:

You are very paranoid. Most people aren't interested in "killing Christmas" or anything of the sort. There are maybe a handful of nutty atheists who actually care enough, and they make no difference. The primary thing that has redefined Christmas has been capitalism, which last I checked, American christians generally think highly of.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 AM

10,958 posts, read 6,110,956 times
Quote:
Your "card" complains that: "And we spoke not a word, as they took away our faith." So merchants grubbing after every last dollar can "take away your faith?" Politicians, grubbing after every last vote can "take away your faith?" People of other faiths, or of no faith, can "take away your faith?" Sounds like your faith is pretty weak, then, and that's no one's fault but yours.

Your faith is between you and God. If you allow external stuff to get in the way of that, then it is your faith that needs to be examined, not anyone else's.

Quote:
That's not very nice of you, Roy, or very Christian, especially since I wished you a Merry Christmas. Do you ever consider that maybe you are not the victim here, but are part of the very problem of the lack of respect of others that you complain of?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 AM

12,035 posts, read 16,780,137 times
Happy holidays, Roy. Because there are holidays, plural.

December 8-16 is Chanukkah, the 25th is Christmas, the 26th is Boxing Day, the 21st is the END OF THE WORLD (so probably a lot of drinking on the 20th :P), Kwanzaa is the 26th - 1st, New Year's Eve is the 31st and New Year's is the 1st. And let's not forget Yule, Saturnalia, Festivus, Hogmanay, Watch Night, or the Chinese New Year. And that's not counting all of the Saint's days like St. Nicholas Day, St. Sylvester's Day, or St. Lucia's Day. And, most importantly, my birthday is celebrated this month!

I don't understand how some Christians can be so bitter and uptight during this time of year. There are so many things to celebrate, and this agnostic Jew celebrates them ALL. Furthermore, Christmas is not for another 3 weeks. I don't wish people a Happy Birthday 3 weeks in advance. Chanukkah starts next week, shouldn't we all be telling each other Happy Chanukkah then?

But yes, Roy. I hope you find it in your heart to be happy this holiday season. There are so many holidays to celebrate and I hope you move past the bitterness to celebrate them all!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,284,777 times
Merry Christmas....

Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 AM

30,091 posts, read 16,626,189 times
Quote:
I received this Christmas Card in an email and think it is a good one with more than just a little truth in it as far as the season and those who don't like it are concerned.

FIRST CHRISTMAS CARD

Twas the Month before Christmas
When all through our land,
Not a Christian was praying
Nor taking a stand.
Why the PC Police had taken away
The reason for Christmas - no one could say.
The children were told by their schools not to sing
About Shepherds and Wise Men and Angels and things.
It might hurt people's feelings, the teachers would say
December 25th is just a ' Holiday '.
Yet the shoppers were ready with cash, checks and credit
Pushing folks down to the floor just to get it!
CDs from Madonna, an X BOX, an I-Pod
Something was changing, something quite odd!
Retailers promoted Ramadan and Kwanzaa
In hopes to sell books by Franken & Fonda.
As Targets were hanging their trees upside down
At Lowe's the word Christmas - was no where to be found.
At K-Mart and Staples and Penny's and Sears
You won't hear the word Christmas; it won't touch your ears.
Inclusive, sensitive, Di-ver-si-ty
Are words that were used to intimidate me.
Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen
On Boxer, on Rather, on Kerry, on Clinton !
At the top of the Senate, there arose such a clatter
To eliminate Jesus, in all public matter.
And we spoke not a word, as they took away our faith
Forbidden to speak of salvation and grace
The true Gift of Christmas was exchanged and discarded
The reason for the season, stopped before it started.
So as you celebrate 'Winter Break' under your 'Dream Tree'
Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me.
Choose your words carefully, choose what you say
Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS,
not Happy Holiday !
Please, all Christians join together and
wish everyone you meet
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Christ is The Reason' for the Christ-mas Season!
I highly recommend you spend some time in an actual Church and remind yourself why Christians celebrate Christmas. It's NOT a time for whining and wringing of hands.

It's supposed to be a joyful time, remember?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies