U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,716,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,Jehovah's witnesses do it and the kids aren't suffering.

I'd like to talk to the kids to find out about that. Ever been left out of a party?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 01:15 AM

4,425 posts, read 5,282,455 times
I'm an atheist, but I say merry christmas, and I put up decorations that say merry christmas... wtf.. this is militant, rude, and obnoxious..
this notion that people are out to destroy christmas is getting out of friggin control.. people are foaming at the mouth over really non-issues...and they just look really hateful and unchristlike...
if someone is really going around judging who is saying merry christmas, vs. happy holidays or whatever.. you have way too much time on your hands, and you really need re-evaluate your priorities in life..

Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 AM

26,529 posts, read 25,052,067 times
Who are these losers who feel a need to shove Christmas down everyone's throat every year? They're obviously very insecure people.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 AM

30,709 posts, read 33,531,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I'd like to talk to the kids to find out about that. Ever been left out of a party?'
Nobody is included in everything. They don't feel left out if everyone they know (family, friends, etc) are left out too. Just like I don't feel left out of things I have no interest in. Atheists kids usually do celebrate christmas and have the fun that goes along with it, there is no acutal need to believe in a god to celebrate the American christmas. It's just trees and presents and Santa.

If saying "Merry Christmas" makes you feel proud then say it all you like, all year long. I personally need to actaully do something to feel proud but to each their own.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 AM

9,199 posts, read 7,072,063 times
Quote:
Christmas is for children more than others. I wonder how atheists explain to their children why they can't join in with the other children to have the fun that goes with Christmas.

I guess seeing their parents go to work that day just like it is any other day doesn't bother them but it sure would me if I had parents like that.
"Parents like that"? You have no idea about the large majority of atheists, who like Christmas just fine and celebrate it like everyone else, except for the going to church part.

It continues to completely floor me how ignorant people are about "atheists". Atheists are simply people that don't believe in God. That's it.

I don't know one person who isn't religious who doesn't celebrate Christmas with their families. Where on earth do you get these ridiculous ideas?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,472,772 times
Quote:
Christmas is for children more than others. I wonder how atheists explain to their children why they can't join in with the other children to have the fun that goes with Christmas.

I guess seeing their parents go to work that day just like it is any other day doesn't bother them but it sure would me if I had parents like that.
Clearly you don't know any atheists.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,038,846 times
Atheist here who never had a problem with Christmas. Well until the last few years when it has become an orgy of consumerism losing all its charm and appeal.... What bugs me about Christmas is probably how un-Christian the whole thing has become.... it seems to be all about greed, buy, buy, buy, eat until you are stuffed and conspicuous consumption taken to its extremes rather than a quiet time for reflection and genuine soul searching.

I will not only wish people Happpy Christmas but will also be attending a Midnight Carol Concert Eucharist in St Paul Cathedral in London and some other Carol Concerts. I have no issues with Christmas celebrations, I actually like all the tradition and festive spirit which can accompany this time of year. It does not offend my sensibilities and I don't think it offends anyone else I know either.

As long as other religions or lack thereof are respect I am good with Christian Celebrations. I also love Diwali and Hanukkah.... And Eid.

I do agree that PC by often well meaning but thoroughly idiotic officials can seem like an assault on this time of year . We have had our fair share of PC crap decisions by local councils in the UK for example trying not to "offend" Muslims for example when the local Muslim communities not only love Christmas but even often join in with community celebrations for example which is quite ridiculous. Official "offence" being taken on behalf of people who are not offended in the slightest.

This Atheist most certainly loves Sacred Music, Churches and Cathedrals and as long as it remains out of our Politics I could not care less.

Christ if he ever existed seemed like a decent role model for humanity and celebrating his birth is not really high on my light of things to fight against.... I only wish more of his followers were actually a little more like Him ....

The West is culturally still Judeo Christian despite being mostly secular these days and I find Christmas a rather harmless tradition .

Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,292,622 times
I say Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends.

I say Happy Holidays to people that I'm not sure about.

Everyone else gets a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,859,858 times
I wasn't raised christian nor am I one today, we didn't celebrate christian holidays ever in our home, I just get tired of it premeating everything.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 AM

5,335 posts, read 6,150,364 times
Quote:

What makes you think that atheists all work on Christmas? Most businesses close that day regardless of the faith of their employees.

On the other hand, plenty of Christians work on Christmas in hospitals, fire and police departments, nursing homes, etc.

My wife and I were raised Christian but we're agnostic and raise our children that way yet we celebrate Christmas with presents, tree, Santa, etc. My kids know that various cultures have had winter solstice festivities long before Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies