Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Feds legalize marijuana?
Yes - make it legal in all 50 states 77 70.00%
Yes, but only for medical purposes 4 3.64%
Abolish Fed restrictions, regulate by state 20 18.18%
Legalize by state and count on Feds to look other way 1 0.91%
No. Marijuana is a gateway drug. 8 7.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,900,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's for an eighth... but still way more than I'd like to pay!
That's the point I've been trying to make.
$55 should get ten POUNDS of such an ag product at the local farmers market

Once legal there is no reason for (even really good) bud to cost more than any other
similar agricultural product... like hops or asparagus or heirloom tomato's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,325 times
I never have understood the nonsense of drug prohibition, those who want drugs get them regardless of the best efforts of police, prosecutors, and courts to keep them out of society. The fact of prohibition gives rise to criminal enterprise, make something illegal and someone will offer it at a premium price.

Education, treatment, and a better understanding of addiction itself will have to suffice, we can't go on making millionaires out of gangsters. Government is the best entity to oversee the distribution of all drugs, just as they do now with prescription drugs, will there be problems? Yes. There will be some aspects of legalization to sort out and that's the natural order of things working themselves out as an evolutionary thing, not revolutionary.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,506,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because drug use impacts all of society not just the user.

Yes, I think making it legal will change the number of users just like making alcohol legal did. How many 21 year olds go out drinking on their 21st birthday simply because it's legal to do so?

I remember turning 18 (the drinking age then) and heading to the bar. If Alcohol had not been legal, I wouldn't have done that. I'm not sure I ever would have had a drink. It was the "adult" thing to do. You will make marijuana the adult thing to do. People will try is when it's legal to do so. It will be even more readily available to kids than it already is. The black market will target kids even more than it does now because they'll be the only ones left to sell to. So, yes, I think use will increase if you legalize it.
I mean, Ivory, how is smoking pot any different from taking Xanax? Both are mind-altering but Xanax is legal. And much more addictive.

I just think we are wasting our time on marijuana. I don't smoke it and don't imagine my son will smoke it - but we might as well quit wasting our time and resources on trying to stop people from using it. It ain't working.

Put a sin tax on it ~ just like we have on cigarettes and at least we aren't losing money on the 'war on drugs'.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,163,764 times
Quote:
Why when alcohol is already legal? Why do we need more legal drugs? By your logic, we should make Heroin legal too...just keep on going right up the ladder.

We already have the legal right to self medicate with alcohol. Why do we need the legal right to self medicate with another drug? And where will it stop once we start down the slippery slope?
Actually, I am also in favor of legalizing all drugs. However, substances like opium should be a "controlled substance" like Xanax or Valium and require a prescription. Don't you understand the implications of eliminating the black market? It wouldn't disappear entirely because there will always be people who don't want to pay for the doctor's visit, but not only could the government control the quality of the drugs so that they aren't cut with lethal additives.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,163,764 times
Hey, nice participation and an interesting range of replies.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,439,331 times
The predominant uses for drugs have become more intoxicating and dangerous specifically because they're illegal. People smoked opium and got a stiff buzz off of it, then it was banned, and the most efficient way to transport it illegally became turning it into pure heroin, and now people shoot it and get blasted. Legalize drugs and people aren't going to be into doing them junkie style. I think cocaine, for example, would go back to being used in its coca leaf form as something that people chew in the morning. Big deal.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Maybe because there are good things that can become of it on the flipside, such as a substantial ammount more room in our nation's jails to house real and violent offenders. There are many other reasons, but this would be the first one off the top of my head.
Or maybe house those Afghanistan desert workplace violenciers once the gov shuts down Gitmo.

OP, I voted 'Abolish Fed restrictions, regulate by state' since the Fed shouldn't be in the business of regulating weed control. If the Fed is interested in weed control, they should focus on Kudzu in the southern states instead.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 PM

11,361 posts, read 9,272,323 times
Quote:
Why when alcohol is already legal? Why do we need more legal drugs? By your logic, we should make Heroin legal too...just keep on going right up the ladder.

We already have the legal right to self medicate with alcohol. Why do we need the legal right to self medicate with another drug? And where will it stop once we start down the slippery slope?
Except for an occasional good beer I shun alcohol. I do not like hard liquor at all and agree with others that say it should have never been legalized in the first place. I haven't had a drink of that stuff in over 25 years and have no desire to ever touch it again. That stuff is downright nasty and it's a lousy so-called high.

I like marijuana and smoke it on occasion. My choice and my life. I'm for full legalization.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,643,753 times
Quote:
Agreed but it is a gateway drug. I just don't see the point in legalizing another recreational drug. We already have one and that's enough.

Marijuana | National Institute on Drug Abuse

"Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time."

Yes, this sounds like something I want to see legalized...NOT. One recreational drug is more than enough.
How do we know marijuana is a gateway drug until it is removed from the black market illegal system?

If anything, having contact with drug dealers makes it easier for marijuana users to then buy other offerings from them.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 PM

30,295 posts, read 51,904,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
IDK about anyone else, but i have yet to see a violent stoner.. I know a google search may find one or 2, but let's get real here..
Well, I heard there were threats of violence when Hostess announced its bankruptcy... but then they forgot to go protest, and ate some Oreos instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies