Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 04:13 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
If guns kill people,
then pencils mispell words,
cars make people drive drunk,
and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Attachment 104339
FORKS and spoons made rosie fat.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have owned a gun for over 30 years, have been involved in verbal altercations, and have even been seething mad. Yet, I have never even considered using my weapon in the heat of an argument. In fact, no one has ever seen my gun other than those on the practice range. This guy clearly had psychological problems, and as others have said, would have killed himself and his girlfriend by other means. This isn't a gun control issue. And, people living in big cities have as much right to bear arms for their defense as those living in small towns or rural areas. I don't own a gun to commit murder. I own a gun for self-defense, and in a life-threatening situation, I will not hesitate to use it.
Again I don't see any need for the average city dweller to carry a gun around. Do you carry you gun with you at all times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You have obviously never been exposed to pure rage.
I have been exposed to pure rage and being no guns were around in the situation, there were no fatal consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
By this very statement you are showing the manipulation that has already been woven into your thoughts.

So by this very statement you are disposing of thousands of years of human history where we became quite adept at killing each other with no guns present.

BTW it dosen't matter what you believe, that's the catch, it's what the Constitution states as the law of this Country.
The 2nd Amendment was written at a different time period when it was much more necessary for individuals to carry guns for self-defense. But nowadays that average city dweller doesn't need a gun for self-defense. I understand having guns for recreational purposes and these people buying guns for recreational uses should probably undergo psychological testing beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I think you do, even if you won't admit it.

A fork may be an exaggeration but at close range, inside 21 feet, a knife is as dangerous if not more so than a gun. Those uninformed in self defense rarely believe it, but it's the truth, look up the Tueller drill and why police train it.
How come the British Police in London don't carry guns if it is so necessary? I think the police in the USA should carry guns as they are supposed to be defending citizens when necessary.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Nobody has been manipulated. I don't think private citizens that live in big cities need to have guns. In the heat of an argument having a gun handy makes it much more easy to kill another person.

WTF???? Check the crime rates in some of our major cities! No, I think private citizens in big cities should have the right to arm themselves! The problem is, the criminals don't care about the rules, and will still get guns anyway!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Again I don't see any need for the average city dweller to carry a gun around. Do you carry you gun with you at all times?

I have been exposed to pure rage and being no guns were around in the situation, there were no fatal consequences.

The 2nd Amendment was written at a different time period when it was much more necessary for individuals to carry guns for self-defense. But nowadays that average city dweller doesn't need a gun for self-defense. I understand having guns for recreational purposes and these people buying guns for recreational uses should probably undergo psychological testing beforehand.

How come the British Police in London don't carry guns if it is so necessary? I think the police in the USA should carry guns as they are supposed to be defending citizens when necessary.

The problem with your last point is, the cops can't and aren't always there at a moments notice.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Chiefs players commits suicide at team facility - chicagotribune.com

This is another sad story. Could gun control have at least prevented the murder? Without easy access to guns, domestic fights like this might not take a murderous turn.
Gun control?
I doubt it. . his background was as clean as a whistle.

What I wonder is, his neurological state. How many concussions? What shape is his brain in? Could this be a result of head trauma?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Gun control?
I doubt it. . his background was as clean as a whistle.

What I wonder is, his neurological state. How many concussions? What shape is his brain in? Could this be a result of head trauma?

You know, my wife brought that up yesterday. Football is a rough sport, and you make a very good point. Look at Junior Seau. He knew he wasn't right in the head, and he had requested that they study his brain after his death.

Hey, maybe they should just ban football!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default Cun control

Guns do not make murderers but many murderers use guns. Ban the murderers not the guns.

IMHO there is no way to keep a deranged person form killing another except have the vicitm well enough armed to protect themselves.

This is from a recent post on this topic.

Current firearms controls are derived from a long history of attempting to deprive the lower classes of the right to possess weapons of any kind including knives, spears and axes. I have read the New Hampshire weapons laws and they spend far more paper on defining knives than guns. The idea is to keep poor people unarmed and completely dependant on their "betters" for protection. The real point was to protect the land owners from his starving tenant farmers.

I would start modern gun legislation by stating that it is a right and duty of all citizens to be armed unless they are a convicted violent felony or certified irresponsible due to mental illness. I would not place any restrictions on firearms as to method of operation, magazine capacity, barrel length or diameter. FWIW - a shortened 12 ga is a very effective close combat weapon. It always has been and always will be.

The only rule would be the person pulling the trigger is completely responsible for whatever the bullet does. If a person shoots someone they shooter had better have a very good reason such as defending themselves or others from violent assault. That is simple and would get the job done.

It would be difficult to pass because it would allow everyone, including poor people, to be armed and prevent economic discrimination based on spurious gun possession charges. I would make everyone responsible for defending themselves from violent assault. I believe very few people want that responsibility even if the authorities cannot protect the ordinary, not wealthy enough to afford private security, citizen.

GregW

Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
more gun control propaganda.....when will it stop??

Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

We're not England for one -- we would be more comparable with Mexico or Honduras. In Mexico the gun laws simply are not working.

Guns would be as easily obtained as marijuana, cocaine and meth if they were made illegal -- and from the same sources. All you'd be doing is giving the big cartels a whole new line of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies