Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The sun causes global warming every 15,000 years?

As the Sun creates more helium at its core, the Sun burns a little more hydrogen. This causes the output of the Sun to go up. You won’t notice it now, but in about a billion years, the output from the Sun will have increased by 10%.
A more luminous Sun is bad news for Earth.
In 1.1 billion years from now, the Sun will be 10% brighter than it is today. This extra energy will cause a moist greenhouse effect in the beginning, similar to the runaway warming on Venus. But then the Earth’s atmosphere will dry out as the water vapor is lost to space, never to return.

Read more: Life of the Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
As the Sun creates more helium at its core, the Sun burns a little more hydrogen. This causes the output of the Sun to go up. You won’t notice it now, but in about a billion years, the output from the Sun will have increased by 10%.
A more luminous Sun is bad news for Earth.
In 1.1 billion years from now, the Sun will be 10% brighter than it is today. This extra energy will cause a moist greenhouse effect in the beginning, similar to the runaway warming on Venus. But then the Earth’s atmosphere will dry out as the water vapor is lost to space, never to return.

Read more: Life of the Sun
I don't doubt the science but the contention was that we had a warming trend every 15K years in the past and that is the reason for the current warming, what scientific event makes global warming cyclic.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 AM

724 posts, read 593,145 times
Default Read em and weep deniers

The Most Devastatingly Convincing Pie Chart You've Ever Seen

No question in the scientific community: humans are causing global warming.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post

What is the earth's optimal human population and lifestyle?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,713 times
Quote:

Exactly where in this link does it say that man is causing climate change? All I see is a small segment that denies the climate is changing.

I think virtually eveyone that has at least 6 brain cells linked together knows the climate is changing. Add a few more brain-cell links and you might realize that the climate is always changing. What most on here are debating is whether man has the
1) power to alter this change,
2) the ability to get it back to whatever normal levels are, and
3) keeping that way for the entire existence of man by
a) stopping the sun's cycles,
b) halting crustal movement,
c) keeping the magma in the mantle stable
d) controlling the population of every bloody organism on the face of the planet... forever.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Exactly where in this link does it say that man is causing climate change? All I see is a small segment that denies the climate is changing.

I think virtually eveyone that has at least 6 brain cells linked together knows the climate is changing. Add a few more brain-cell links and you might realize that the climate is always changing. What most on here are debating is whether man has the
d) controlling the population of every bloody organism on the face of the planet... forever.
I've yet to meet a liberal who didn't think that with enough control and taxes that there was anything they couldn't fix.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 PM

724 posts, read 593,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post

You can't read very well, can you? The scientific studies were all related to human caused climate change. Hello, McFly? Anybody in there?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,713 times
Quote:
You can't read very well, can you? The scientific studies were all related to human caused climate change. Hello, McFly? Anybody in there?
Here is what I saw at the top of the article:

Since 1991, there have been 13,950 peer-reviewed articles on human-caused global warming. Only 24 rejected it. That's 0.17% for those of you keeping score.

The pie chart doesn't read this way, though, now does it. It doesn't mention 'human-caused' so it's a little misleading. So I'll give you that one, smarta$$.

Now how about addressing the rest of my post... or do you not have a convenient pie chart to counter it?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 PM

32,061 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the sun, nothing man could ever do is as powerful as the sun.

What man does is pretty powerful in contributing to pollute this planet and therefore will help in it's demise. Is it arrogance of some that you don't see this. Blame the sun all you want but don't you think the billions of people on this planet and all their pollution have something to do with how this planet is reacting. You are so naive if you don't. We owe it to our children and their children to take care of where we live.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What man does is pretty powerful in contributing to pollute this planet and therefore will help in it's demise. Is it arrogance of some that you don't see this. Blame the sun all you want but don't you think the billions of people on this planet and all their pollution have something to do with how this planet is reacting. You are so naive if you don't. We owe it to our children and their children to take care of where we live.

yes i understand that man has something to do with it. but also, if you cant get the whole planet to agree on measures to do something, then i think only limiting some countries is worse than doing nothing at all.

why should the US economy suffer if china does not want to do anything about GW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies