Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should election day be a national holiday?
Absolutely 21 72.41%
No, religion is more important than Democracy. 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 AM

990 posts, read 939,285 times

Advertisements

This to me is the biggest hypocrisy of this nation. As a secular nation, we should not have religious holidays as official state holidays. It completely flies in the face of the Establishment Clause.

However, we SHOULD have election day as a national holiday. It's the most important day in the world's most importand democracy and yet 40% of the voters do not participate, many because they either cannot get the time off to vote (because many people work far from their polling stations and lines are too long to vote during lunch breaks) or because they simply don't see the value in their vote. Shouldn't election day be a national holiday where everyone has the day off so we can truly have a participatory democracy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
I can't vote, both should be holidays.

Christmas is a uniquely American holiday. It was basically abandoned by the rest of the world, but we needed something to celebrate, and Christmas was a good one to do that.

Christmas is religious in origins, yes, but much like Thanksgiving its much more about getting together with the ones you love and the ones you haven't seen all year.

Election day should be a national holiday, like I think that the Monday after the superbowl should be a national holiday, but it is what it is.

Most of the people I know, even Catholics, don't go to midnight mass on Christs Mass.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
I really don't care about "religious" holidays anymore since when was the last time "Christmas" was about "Christ"?

As for the Elections? It is mandated in some nations and you could be fined or jailed for not participating! I have personal qualms about this can you imagine all of the American Idol idiots or rednecks voting?

Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
With early voting and absentee ballot, there is no excuse for not being able to vote.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:16 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Further proof the liberal's God is big government...

Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 AM

1,403 posts, read 937,346 times
I don't think EITHER should be national holidays.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 AM

876 posts, read 708,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
This to me is the biggest hypocrisy of this nation. As a secular nation, we should not have religious holidays as official state holidays. It completely flies in the face of the Establishment Clause.

However, we SHOULD have election day as a national holiday. It's the most important day in the world's most importand democracy and yet 40% of the voters do not participate, many because they either cannot get the time off to vote (because many people work far from their polling stations and lines are too long to vote during lunch breaks) or because they simply don't see the value in their vote. Shouldn't election day be a national holiday where everyone has the day off so we can truly have a participatory democracy?
What do you care about the value of a vote? Your's is being thrown away on someone who has no hope of winning at all. A vote for Gary Johnson might as well be a vote for Big Bird. It's pointless. And so would turning Election Day into a holiday.

You could give some people all the time in the world to vote and some people just won't do it. If they don't care enough about voteing to figure out a time where they can vote and they have to have a celebration or party in order to get them to the polls, then maybe they need to sit it out anyway. You would have a bunch of drunk or hungover people choosing our president.

Religious holidays are a wonderful thing even if you are not religious. It is a time to be with family and friends and strengthens love and relationships. Elections are not a family thing and I don't know anyone that takes their friends into the booth with them. Turning it into a "holiday" doesn't make sense. There is no hypocrisy involved in religious state holidays, Scrooge. Bah humbug to you.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Absolutely, I think election day should be a national holiday.

And, there is absolutely no excuse not to vote.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
In NYC, the public schools are closed for Election Day as they are used as polling places.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:39 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
3. Neither should be a national holiday
4. Both should be a national holiday
5. States should decide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies