U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,459,312 times

Advertisements

My son had a toy vacuum, and he was the one that asked for it. He would follow me around when I did the housework. Now his favorite thing is a pellet gun, and his bow. I target practice with him.
He still likes to clean the windows.

What's the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM

43,564 posts, read 52,720,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
My son had a toy vacuum, and he was the one that asked for it. He would follow me around when I did the housework. Now his favorite thing is a pellet gun, and his bow. I target practice with him.

What's the big deal?
It's only a big deal to the psycho freaks who want women back in the kitchen minding their ps and qs.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM

14,920 posts, read 11,174,971 times
Quote:

What's the big deal?
Feminizing your son and teaching him how to be a women - disgusting.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,601,526 times
I am male.
I am married.
I live in the US.
I love to cook. My wife hates to cook.
I like doing laundry. My wife hates it.
Thus, we split household chores according to what we like or hate doing. It works extremely well.

My neighbor's boy saw me cook and do laundry.
He asked me how it felt to be the maid.

I wondered how it felt to be stuck in the 1800's.

Alas, that's the mentality of some US men: Women belong in the kitchen and only serve to produce offspring and make the man's life easier. Men provide and never touch a household appliance except to repair it.

Northern Europe has long let go of such ridiculous gender stereotypes. I wonder how long it will be before the mentality of some men here truly gets our of the dark ages.

It will probably be decades, considering that some here still think that a boy with long hair is somehow controversial and an attack on his future manhood.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM

24,001 posts, read 32,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Northern Europe has long let go of such ridiculous gender stereotypes. I wonder how long it will be before the mentality of some men here truly gets our of the dark ages.
They haven't really. I speak from personal experience.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM

43,564 posts, read 52,720,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Feminizing your son and teaching him how to be a women - disgusting.
What does a vacuum have to do with being a woman?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,116,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What does a vacuum have to do with being a woman?
Sheldon, that was sarcasm.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,686,574 times
Quote:

What's the big deal?
Insecurity. Ever notice it's the same posters over and over lecturing about the evils of pink vacuums, gay marriage, women in the workplace? They don't seem to get what they say about themselves when they work themselves up to such a hissy fit about these things. Secure guys don't worry about their masculinity being attacked by "outside forces". Secure men also don't blame catalogs, women, Democrats, godless heathens, gays having equal rights, Hollywood, Obama, whoever is available so they don't have to pull up their "real men" pants and accept responsibility for what happens in their lives.

Easier to say, "Look! Pink vacuums! They're trying to turn boys into guys who actually keep their apartments clean!"

Oh, the humanity.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-03-2012 at 10:35 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM

5,244 posts, read 3,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Agreed. But that doesn't seem to be what's happening. They're just advertising going against the stereotypes so parents and such feel comfortable buying whatever toys their children want regardless of their gender.
When I was raising kids everybody was reading Doctor Spock. A few years later we moved into the "nobody loses - everybody gets a trophy" mindset. Now we're in the gender-neutral thing.

Child raising trends come and go in the news. Parents are the only real experts when it comes to their own kids.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,601,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They haven't really. I speak from personal experience.
They have to a much larger extent than here. I speak from experience, too - more than thirty years living all over Europe, on and off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies