Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,013 times

Advertisements

I don't hate addicts but I am starting to hate you FancyFeast. What are you some kind of nutty spinster cat lady who collects SSI and pops Xanax and Prozac all day. See I can make ASSumptions and personal attacks just like you!
Your latest post reeks of BS by the way. From your attitude I'm guessing you're more of a taker than a giver. That's why anyone who questions freeloading irks you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
I don't hate addicts but I am starting to hate you FancyFeast. What are you some kind of nutty spinster cat lady who collects SSI and pops Xanax and Prozac all day. See I can make ASSumptions and personal attacks just like you!
Your latest post reeks of BS by the way. From your attitude I'm guessing you're more of a taker than a giver. That's why anyone who questions freeloading irks you.
Nope, not collecting SSI, don't "pop" pills, not a "spinster cat lady".....although I am a woman. In fact my background is in the justice system. I've met many addicts and a few convicted of murder, as well as their families. I have a good "sense" for angry family members. I know how it goes. My "attitude" about giving and compassion actually comes from Buddhism. Giving is a non-attachment practice. Just in case no one ever told you, hating always hurts the person who is doing the hating the most.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
I didn't expect the boots to last long. In the original article I read, it said the homeless man said he never had a pair of shoes before. Yet, when the Officer asked him what size he wore, he knew he was a size 12.

In a follow-up article I read but didn't bookmark, (different than the OP's), it said the man had previously served in the military and had some sort of old, tattered ID in his pocket to prove it. I highly doubt he spent all his military time going barefoot.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,013 times
Thanks for the sermon Dalai Lama. Now go back and read some of your numerous passive aggressively hostile posts with personal attacks etc. Hypocrite. Buddhists can be just as sanctimonious as any Bible thumper, especially the typical American ones who think throwing around a few buzzwords gives them an aura of enlightenment - more of a fashion statement than an actual belief, and as a bonus an illusion of moral superiority giving rise to condescending and annoying lectures. You're no exception. I'm guessing your background in criminal justice consists of watching CSI and Nancy Grace.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And at what University did you get your M.D.?
suny of hard knocks.... I saw lots of guys like this one there, but no Professional MD's or shrinks then. Age 14 to 17 living in the streets of Boston. Not a lot of kids that age get to go to college.... But i did.. By the time i turned 19 I had lived in more than 72 places including under Beacon Hill with a lot of these street guys.

I am 100% sure i have seem more of them than any doctors alive .... I shared booze with them beans and what ever else we would share. How many years did you spend living on the street?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
People who think that they are helping a homeless person by giving them money are fooling themselves. It is so easy to hand somebody some coins or a couple of bills and walk away congratulating ourselves about what a grand, altruistic, compassionate person we are. When we throw them a couple of bucks and then head for our nice, warm, safe house, in the end it's about US, and not them.

If you want to truly help the homeless there are a million real things you could do - volunteer at a homeless shelter, work at a food bank, serve meals during the holidays, volunteer as a mentor or helper or advsior to a homeless person who genuinely is striving to better their life, organize a food drive or a coat drive or a shoe drive, write to the politicans that control the purse strings and push for increased aid, contact churches and brainstorm ideas to increase the safety and security of the homeless, volunteer your professional services to any organization that aids in truly helping to change the lives of the homeless for good, donate money to these same organizations, contact a social service agency and ask "how can I help?" and "what can I do?".

Enabling behavior is not an act of kindness. Tossing our loose change at some drunk on the street as we pass by and while we work hard to avoid eye contact, is not an act of kindness. It just helps us sleep better at night in our own warm beds.
This is about the way I see it. I don't help the males, although I will toss a 20 their way sometimes..

I tend to help the females with maybe any kids and give more like 1st months rent and security. Then I back up my BS and check in over years and years of time. My wife and i are working with a success so far in that the venture began in 06 and things are still working out.

My wife has taken on a new project and items are being gathered as i type. I have not yet become involved, which is typical since i am male. This is just something my wife and i do as we can which is hard because we don't have a lot and we have to live and enjoy life too.

I guess maybe for my wife and I it helps over come some of the bitterness from the past failures where the system broke down so badly we lost family. Nothing will ever remove all of the bitterness, but this helps some. Taxing for this sure doesn't help...

Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Nope, not collecting SSI, don't "pop" pills, not a "spinster cat lady".....although I am a woman. In fact my background is in the justice system. I've met many addicts and a few convicted of murder, as well as their families. I have a good "sense" for angry family members. I know how it goes. My "attitude" about giving and compassion actually comes from Buddhism. Giving is a non-attachment practice. Just in case no one ever told you, hating always hurts the person who is doing the hating the most.
Oh no wonder we don't get along.. You are or were a part of the system that is totally fubarred...... 9 to 5 if that and how many days a week? And after that time you don't give a rat ass about nuthin but maybe SHOPPING.

me on the other hand live it...... So far i met 1 guy face to face here, once this is known other will, and maybe then earning trust I can do something more......

That system is full of waste and hasn't functioned in y whole life time yet.

My wife worked at Rochester Syc for 9.5 years before Gov Cuomokoff canned everybody in the NY state crash of 1990......

Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I didn't expect the boots to last long. In the original article I read, it said the homeless man said he never had a pair of shoes before. Yet, when the Officer asked him what size he wore, he knew he was a size 12.

In a follow-up article I read but didn't bookmark, (different than the OP's), it said the man had previously served in the military and had some sort of old, tattered ID in his pocket to prove it. I highly doubt he spent all his military time going barefoot.
I wonder ...... for postage i could send that guy 20 pair of Mil Spec Boots.......... If he wanted boots he would have had boots....

No body bugs Cody about his bare feet...... IMO that guy is NUTS too....

Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Thanks for the sermon Dalai Lama. Now go back and read some of your numerous passive aggressively hostile posts with personal attacks etc. Hypocrite. Buddhists can be just as sanctimonious as any Bible thumper, especially the typical American ones who think throwing around a few buzzwords gives them an aura of enlightenment - more of a fashion statement than an actual belief, and as a bonus an illusion of moral superiority giving rise to condescending and annoying lectures. You're no exception. I'm guessing your background in criminal justice consists of watching CSI and Nancy Grace.
I never said I am a Buddhist. And your guess about my work is as wrong as your other assumptions/guesses. (I did not say CRIMINAL justice system, I said justice system). I'm defense oriented and find Nancy Grace enormously strident and intolerable.

Your responses indicate that someone certainly struck a "nerve" in you regarding your "feelings" about addicts and helping family members.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Oh no wonder we don't get along.. You are or were a part of the system that is totally fubarred...... 9 to 5 if that and how many days a week? And after that time you don't give a rat ass about nuthin but maybe SHOPPING.

me on the other hand live it...... So far i met 1 guy face to face here, once this is known other will, and maybe then earning trust I can do something more......

That system is full of waste and hasn't functioned in y whole life time yet.

My wife worked at Rochester Syc for 9.5 years before Gov Cuomokoff canned everybody in the NY state crash of 1990......
I'm not now and never have been a cop. You make lots of wrong assumptions. I am not an employee of the "justice system." I'm defense oriented and self-employed. Lawyers hire me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies