Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm still not sure who they are talking about when they say Hispanics? A group based on a language or former ancesters Language? The Black, White, Asian, Mixed or Native ones? The ones that no longer speak Spanish or current Spanish speakers only. Then you have former Portuguese colonies, Not hispanic but Latino, so you have to mix them into it too. I have Mexican Heritage through my grand mother and Identify as White, do I get to be Hispanic too? I only bring this up because I have an abundance of friends and family that also fit this profile.

Exactly.

The designation and confusion of "ethnic minority" with "racial minority" is troubling when we have all these discussions about "whites becoming a minority" or "Hispanics becoming a majority"...

Just because your ancestors stopped off in Latin America (an immigration destination for people from all around the world) does not make you an automatic MINORITY when you get to the United States!

Under that logic, any immigrant is an "ethnic minority." Russian immigrants are an "ethnic minority" compared to people of German descent. There's also probably more in common at a cultural level between an Italian and a Spanish person than an Italian and a British descent person.

This is especially true ecause ethnicity starts to mean less and less as time goes on.

The absurdity illustrated:

I am half Portuguese (father is a legal immigrant), half "Anglo" (mother American) .... the state of Florida would give me a minority owned business designation if I were to open one. No reason to at all. Suppose they were trying to get Brazilians that designation.

My brother is going to marry a Mexican girl soon ... are the kids going to be a "Hispanic" birth? A "non-white" birth despite their heritage being probably AT LEAST 3/4 European heritage? (The average Mexican is appx 50% Euro).

Does it matter? They'll be culturally American, and THEIR kids will be even further from their ethnic roots. The topic fascinates me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Exactly.

The designation and confusion of "ethnic minority" with "racial minority" is troubling when we have all these discussions about "whites becoming a minority" or "Hispanics becoming a majority"...

Just because your ancestors stopped off in Latin America (an immigration destination for people from all around the world) does not make you an automatic MINORITY when you get to the United States!

Under that logic, any immigrant is an "ethnic minority." Russian immigrants are an "ethnic minority" compared to people of German descent. There's also probably more in common at a cultural level between an Italian and a Spanish person than an Italian and a British descent person.

This is especially true ecause ethnicity starts to mean less and less as time goes on.

The absurdity illustrated:

I am half Portuguese (father is a legal immigrant), half "Anglo" (mother American) .... the state of Florida would give me a minority owned business designation if I were to open one. No reason to at all. Suppose they were trying to get Brazilians that designation.

My brother is going to marry a Mexican girl soon ... are the kids going to be a "Hispanic" birth? A "non-white" birth despite their heritage being probably AT LEAST 3/4 European heritage? (The average Mexican is appx 50% Euro).

Does it matter? They'll be culturally American, and THEIR kids will be even further from their ethnic roots. The topic fascinates me.
Good example.
Fascinating and Confusing. I work for an F100 company and I can go down the list of the people I work with they are much more then half mixed ethnicity or race, have kids that are, or have a spouse or SO that is another Ethnic or race. Like Ive said, when you break it down Mixed is the largest current group and will always be. Now, what you self identify as is something else.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
All of the talk on what Racial or Ethnic group you identify with is getting long in tooth. There is really no separate need for any one group. Maybe if you speak a language other then English you might require special needs, but thats about it.

What works for one group really works for all: Americans regardless of race need Jobs, Education, Basic Healthcare. Race or ethnicicity really have nothing to do with anything with respect to our basic needs.

If anyone can explain to me why we need a special category based on Race or ethnicicity please do tell.
You post makes perfect sense in a Kumbaya, "Can't We All Just Get Along World". However, that's not the world we live in.

The social construct of race has been used to socially, economically and politiclly disenfranchise non-White Americans while at the same time conferring greater privileges, rights and opportunity among White non-Hispanic Americans. A great deal has been done on the last 60 years to de-legitimize this form of racial apartheid but on a social and economic level we are still dealing with this and there are people in this country who are extremely well served by the old social, political and economic order and want very much for it to stay in place.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
We can cover 2009 and 2010 as well[:]
Births in 2009

"Non-Hispanic white": 2,212,552 (53.7%)
"Non-Hispanic black": 609,584 (14.8%)
"Hispanics of all racial groups": 999,548 (24.3%)
"Asian or Pacific Islander (including of Hispanic origin)": 251,089 (6.1%)
"American Indian or Alaskan Native (including of Hispanic origin)": 48,665 (1.2%)

4,121,438 total births

Births in 2010

"Non-Hispanic white": 2,162,406 (54.2%)
"Non-Hispanic black": 589,808 (14.8%)
"Hispanics of all racial groups": 945,180 (23.7%)
"Asian or Pacific Islander (including of Hispanic origin)": 246,886 (6.2%)
"American Indian or Alaskan Native (including of Hispanic origin)": 46,760 (1.8%)

3,991,040 total births

Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quick quick, is he white or a minority?

What about him?

What's the difference between the two?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Births in 2009

"Non-Hispanic white": 2,212,552 (53.7%)
"Non-Hispanic black": 609,584 (14.8%)
"Hispanics of all racial groups": 999,548 (24.3%)
"Asian or Pacific Islander (including of Hispanic origin)": 251,089 (6.1%)
"American Indian or Alaskan Native (including of Hispanic origin)": 48,665 (1.2%)

4,121,438 total births

Births in 2010

"Non-Hispanic white": 2,162,406 (54.2%)
"Non-Hispanic black": 589,808 (14.8%)
"Hispanics of all racial groups": 945,180 (23.7%)
"Asian or Pacific Islander (including of Hispanic origin)": 246,886 (6.2%)
"American Indian or Alaskan Native (including of Hispanic origin)": 46,760 (1.8%)

3,991,040 total births

I wonder why it actually went UP in 2010 for Asians and non-Hispanic whites? Though I did read once that the birth peak of black and "Hispanic" (again, whatever that means) women is in their 20s, while for Asians and whites in into a woman's 30s. I wonder as my generation hits their 30s if Asians and non-Hispanic whites will register higher?

Also, why the distinction made for "non-Hispanic whites," but not, "non-Hispanic blacks"? Would be interesting to see trends if you're going to get that nitty gritty.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You post makes perfect sense in a Kumbaya, "Can't We All Just Get Along World". However, that's not the world we live in.

The social construct of race has been used to socially, economically and politiclly disenfranchise non-White Americans while at the same time conferring greater privileges, rights and opportunity among White non-Hispanic Americans. A great deal has been done on the last 60 years to de-legitimize this form of racial apartheid but on a social and economic level we are still dealing with this and there are people in this country who are extremely well served by the old social, political and economic order and want very much for it to stay in place.
Kumbaya. Thats funny since its a term usually reserved for Liberal Idealist. I'll take it as a compliment.

"The social construct of race has been used to socially, economically and politiclly disenfranchise non-White Americans"
Yes, it has. I take it you feel disenfranchised? Instead of saying the same thing over and over again, what do you propose everyone does about it?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Quick quick, is he white or a minority?

What about him?

What's the difference between the two?
I say 40% Swedish, 15% Jewish, 15% percent Armenian, 10% Asion, 10% Persian, 5% Indian and 5% Eastern African. But, he was brought up in Argentina and lives in the USA so he can call himself what ever group he wants to self identfy as

Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I say 40% Swedish, 15% Jewish, 15% percent Armenian, 10% Asion, 10% Persian, 5% Indian and 5% Eastern African. But, he was brought up in Argentina and lives in the USA so he can call himself what ever group he wants to self identfy as

As an Argentinian in, say, South Florida, he would likely be able to identify as a white Hispanic and have access to the top tier of the professional and ruling class in Miami.

Miami is a perfect example of how Latin American attitudes are often worse than current American racial and ethnic attitudes. Colorism and colonial constructs of race are alive and well.

Only in Miami, it's often better to be Latino AND white (with an often complex hierarchy of which group considers itself better than the other, based on national origin), than simply white American. But probably better to be white non-Latino than being BLACK and Latino..... but being black and Latino will get you further than being simply American black!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
As an Argentinian in, say, South Florida, he would likely be able to identify as a white Hispanic and have access to the top tier of the professional and ruling class in Miami.

Miami is a perfect example of how Latin American attitudes are often worse than current American racial and ethnic attitudes. Colorism and colonial constructs of race are alive and well.

Only in Miami, it's often better to be Latino AND white (with an often complex hierarchy of which group considers itself better than the other, based on national origin), than simply white American. But probably better to be white non-Latino than being BLACK and Latino..... but being black and Latino will get you further than being simply American black!
TriMT7, spoken true words. This is how it is across Latin America, from Mexico to Argentina. But, the point of my post was to illustrate that just because someone has Spanish first and last names, does not mean they are brownies. That's what a lot of the English Nativists seem to imply. I love the reaction I always get from Americans when I say I'm Puerto Rican. The first retort I always get is, "But how can you be, you're white as hell!" We have a loooooong way to go

The first guy is Puerto Rico's new governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla. The second one is Mariano Rajoy Brey, the sitting Prime Minister of Spain. You know, that country attached to France where the Spanish language and culture and people originated from, not Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies