Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:36 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Recently I keep seeing commercials for the organization "International Fellowship of Christians and Jews" about helping Jews in Israel. They ask for 25$ to feed starving Jews in Jerusalem. They say they'll put a blessing note in the box.

I wasn't aware that Jerusalem was having a problem feeding its citizens.

Does anyone have additional info?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
I believe you could be seeing the one about poor, starving, older Jews in Russia trying to get to Jerusalem. They were asking for donations to help feed, and also transport Russian Jews. I doubt there's a problem in Jerusalem.
best,
toodie

Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I believe you could be seeing the one about poor, starving, older Jews in Russia trying to get to Jerusalem. They were asking for donations to help feed, and also transport Russian Jews. I doubt there's a problem in Jerusalem.
best,
toodie
No, I specifically remember this commercial about starving Jews in Israel. In fact, here is the website claiming the same.

Quote:
Helping Hungry Jews in Israel During Passover
Quote:
For Yonina and thousands of families like hers throughout Israel who are hurting financially, every day brings a new struggle just to put food on the table. With the approach of the Passover holiday, many of these families are worried that they will simply not be able to afford the special foods needed to properly celebrate this holy time.
The Fellowship - Helping Hungry Jews in Israel During Passover

Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Recently I keep seeing commercials for the organization "International Fellowship of Christians and Jews" about helping Jews in Israel. They ask for 25$ to feed starving Jews in Jerusalem. They say they'll put a blessing note in the box.

I wasn't aware that Jerusalem was having a problem feeding its citizens.

Does anyone have additional info?
Consider it a "Meals on Wheels" for the elderly that arrived from Russia and went straight to welfare. They aren't starving, but they also have similar issues as the poor elderly in the US. Its hard to stretch a fixed check as food prices are rising. Advertising wise Jerusalem is a more noticable word than Sderot (closest Jewish city to Gaza that is 100% Russian).

Home - The Fellowship
The Fellowship - Life Changing Television

Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Consider it a "Meals on Wheels" for the elderly that arrived from Russia and went straight to welfare. They aren't starving, but they also have similar issues as the poor elderly in the US. Its hard to stretch a fixed check as food prices are rising. Advertising wise Jerusalem is a more noticable word than Sderot (closest Jewish city to Gaza that is 100% Russian).

Home - The Fellowship
The Fellowship - Life Changing Television
Thanks for the info. Is Israel not able to take care of these people to keep them from starving?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Thanks for the info. Is Israel not able to take care of these people to keep them from starving?
You're confusing two different commercials. Follow the links supplied. Israel runs on a balanced budget, so there is a limit on welfare expenses. Once Israel can get most of the Charedi (Ultra Orthodox) off of it, then there will more to go around. In Israel everyone pays taxes no matter how much/little they make.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Israel has compulsory national healthcare and 4 HOAS are overseen by the state.
Israel is ranked 3rd-4th - for longest life expectancy in the world. ( U.S. is #37).

Medical tourism is a growing business with patients coming primarily form the U.S. and Russia for quality medical treatment at the franction of the cost.

Isreal is the largest cumulative recipient of U.S. foreign aid since WW2. Maybe they can show us how to best implement national healthcare.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
I see what you're saying. So Israel has poor starving people and they're asking Americans to donate? I think we give them enough in foreign aid so that they can take some of that money and feed their people.

There are people in our own country who are starving, and we're supposed to donate to them? Some of the stuff they try is beyond belief. I'll pay attention to the commercial if I catch it.

best,
toodie

Old 12-03-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Isreal is the largest cumulative recipient of U.S. foreign aid since WW2.
Israel only gets Military dollars from the US. It is not aid and not economic. Its given to them due to the treaty the US wrote up in 1979. Israel like nearly every other country on the planet gets public donations from multiple groups for multiple reasons.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
So Israel has poor starving people and they're asking Americans to donate? ...best,
toodie
No. Its a US ministry doing it and not Israel. The ministry pockets about $35 Million per year. Its a business. Its advertising. There are no starving Israelis. Read the links in #4 which also included the commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies