Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Excellent! Good for them. I hope the idea of "live nativity scenes" spreads to other counties whose way of life are under fire from the anti-Christian bigots. The best way to fight the atheist hate is to mock them.

God is "scary" only to libnuts like yourself.
The atheists didn't really mind the nativity scenes. Christians minded the atheist displays... which eventually led to the ban of all religious scenes (unattended, of course).

The natural progression here is for atheists to put back their displays, attended. Looks like we're back to where we were pre-ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Im not a religious fanatic...For your info...The country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles...
No, it wasn't. I refer you to the Treaty of Tripoli, written by some of the very same men who wrote the Declaration of Independence, and Constitution.

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Quote:
"The first act of America's first Congress in 1774 was to ask a minister to open with prayer and to lead Congress in the reading of four chapters of the Bible.
And in retrospect, perhaps they had no business doing so, but given the nature of the times, it is not a surprise. Some of them went home that very night to punish their slaves.

Quote:
In 1776, in approving the Declaration of Independence, our founders acknowledged that all men "are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights..." and noted that they were relying "on the protection of Divine Providence" in the founding of this country. John Quincy Adams said, "The Declaration of Independence laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity." Also, the signers of the 1783 Treaty of Paris, which ended the Revolutionary War, insisted the treaty begin with the phrase, "In the name of the most holy and undivided Trinity."
So what? JQA was a very religious man, and overstepped his authority as POTUS. It just so happens that I'm a descendant of his father. (But not him, I came through the drunk son lol...)

Look, it would be a flat out lie to claim that the people of the USA, including her founders and early leaders were not more overtly religious than people are today. Many of them likely truly believed the earth was just 6,000 years old, as told in the bible, because they lacked the science and information to know it was incorrect. But they were men, and like all men, they were not perfect.

The same thing could be said just a few decades ago, as laws allowing the government to censor the airwaves in direct violation of the First Amendment nonetheless were allowed because, at the time, American's were more religious, and frankly expected such censorship. Had the internet been invented at the same time as TV, it no doubt would be subject to the same restrictions.

But times have changed. Every religion in the US is in steep decline, except possibly Islam, but it's growth is fueled by immigration. The only real growth with regard to religion is those who are NOT religious any more. The founders gave us a government that is mandated to be neutral to religion. That fact cannot be disputed.

And, I would note, that you not only did not succeed, you did not even make an effort to answer my original question.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Couldn't have said it better Dental.He calls us Atheist hate mongering but hell at least we ain't the ones believing in some scary man in the sky mmk!
I'm not atheist, but I think any similarity between what religion teaches and true spirituality is coincidence, as they are all creations of men. People intimately familiar with my views (which would take more characters than I feel like typing right now, not to mention be WAY off topic) say it's almost a mixture of Buddhism and Hinduism, but I don't know enough about either to say whether or not they're right.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If the people of the local city or county determine they want to allow it, what business is it of your's? They have the right to display it.
Yes, they do.

At their house. At their place of business. On a piece of property they own or rent. On a billboard, or on the giant TV display in the middle of Times Square. They can buy ad time on TV. They can create websites. They can display it anywhere they have a legal right to use the property, but government is prohibited by the constitution from doing so.

So, I'll ask again.

Why is it so important to you that religious displays be put on government property?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:51 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,430 times
Quote:
Excellent! Good for them. I hope the idea of "live nativity scenes" spreads to other counties whose way of life are under fire from the anti-Christian bigots. The best way to fight the atheist hate is to mock them.

I am not a liberal. Just think its silly you don't believe in Santa Claus but you believe in an invisible person in the sky that sets the rules for ya.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Burning for all of eternity in a pit of fire for masturbating or a whole host of so-called "sins" sounds pretty damn scary to me. I don't for a minute believe that "hell" that you guys like to threaten us with for rubbing our willies actually exists, but it is a scary thought!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:02 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Yes, they do.

At their house. At their place of business. On a piece of property they own or rent. On a billboard, or on the giant TV display in the middle of Times Square. They can buy ad time on TV. They can create websites. They can display it anywhere they have a legal right to use the property, but government is prohibited by the constitution from doing so.

So, I'll ask again.

Why is it so important to you that religious displays be put on government property?
Because Christianizing government property is a way to imply that the government is sanctioning Christianity as the official state religion in their minds. They want a theocracy.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Because Christianizing government property is a way to imply that the government is sanctioning Christianity as the official state religion in their minds. They want a theocracy.
Yes, I know.

But I'd like to see them either A- Admit it, or B- Look like idiots tapdancing around without admitting it. Either of those would amuse me.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM

164 posts, read 347,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Yes, they do.

So, I'll ask again.

Because we simply can and its our right just as you have the right to display what you want, as long as its attended too. Now there you go. Don't like it? Close your eyes. Don't want to hear it? Cover your ears. If you feel so inclined to counter a nativity scene, then you can peacefully assemble with you own scene of any kind you like.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
Because we simply can and its our right just as you have the right to display what you want, as long as its attended too. Now there you go. Don't like it? Close your eyes. Don't want to hear it? Cover your ears. If you feel so inclined to counter a nativity scene, then you can peacefully assemble with you own scene of any kind you like.
The ignorance of this post given the back-story involved. If everyone has the right to display what they want, why do Christians tear down atheist displays?

Last edited by NJBest; 12-03-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies