Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
In a world where EVERYTHING IS RACIST, common sense is lost.

People should be able to make fun of themselves, and this image doesn't show any malice towards Mexicans. YOU can be a good little politically correct soldier, but at what cost?

Before you come back preaching this PC gibberish, I have Mexican heritage on my Grandfathers side. Are you a Mexican? Or are you offended in absentia?

Go watch Speedy Gonzales cartoons and learn how to laugh again.
Except that these girls are not making fun of themselves, they're making fun of an oft-maligned ethnic group.

If it isn't malicious, it is certainly demeaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
It's not pc to consider this racist.

It's common sense.
It may not be PC, but it's certainly stupid.

People need to grow a little thicker skin and stop calling everything racist.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
That photo IS racist. Nothing really offends me personally, but yeah that fits right into the common definition of racism these days.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
WAIT!!!!

Isn't this a bunch of liberal female students? You know, the enlightened youth, the kids that want borders abolished, and everyone to be equal? Besides, why would one minority (women) intentionally offend another?

Wanna bet several of these girls are Hispanic?

<smirk>

PC still being taken to obscene levels
Yea... but they are WHITE hispanic

Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Nothing racist at all about dressing up like a racial stereotype of Mexicans and then holding up signs that say "Will Mow Lawn For Weed + Beer" and "I Don't Cut Grass, I Smoke It."

Nope, nothing racist or offensive at all...

I wonder if those little Asian gals over to the left would have liked it if they all took a picture wearing chongams and holding signs that said "We Love You Long Time" and "Five Dolla Sucky-Sucky."

Whatever. Sororities and fraternities are dumping grounds for overgrown children, anyway. I have no doubt they'll all grow up to be really nice stepford wives and think back on this and snicker every time Pablo and Ricardo come to mow the nice, big lawn of their pretty Colonial, while their husband is at work doing his secretary.

And good times were had by all.
Yup, that's it in a nutshell. Can't add anything to it.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Some of you lack common sense. You keep comparing movies, cartoons, shows, entertainment that are racist to this.

These girls are representing an EDUCATIONAL and PUBLIC institution. IMO that's what is bad about it. Really most people can give two ****s, if for example your next door 30 something year old has a party like this. No one would care not the media or anything. But these girls are tied to an organization (and the party itself) to a public institution. Movies, TV shows, etcare purely entertainment, this is not.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Some of you lack common sense. You keep comparing movies, cartoons, shows, entertainment that are racist to this.

These girls are representing an EDUCATIONAL and PUBLIC institution. IMO that's what is bad about it. Really most people can give two ****s, if for example your next door 30 something year old has a party like this. No one would care not the media or anything. But these girls are tied to an organization (and the party itself) to a public institution. Movies, TV shows, etcare purely entertainment, this is not.
So? They're still a bunch of dumbass kids. You know, the same age group that has been involved in some pretty explicit hazing for decades...

If they aren't teabagging a fellow blindfolded pledge or forcing him to rub icy hot on his balls (yes, I realize these are girls, but for lack of other examples), I would say this is another non-issue. Bad taste, but a non-issue.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
So? They're still a bunch of dumbass kids. You know, the same age group that has been involved in some pretty explicit hazing for decades...

If they aren't teabagging a fellow blindfolded pledge or forcing him to rub icy hot on his balls (yes, I realize these are girls, but for lack of other examples), I would say this is another non-issue. Bad taste, but a non-issue.
Ok I'm not disagreeing? They are morons really. The behavior is also just ignorant. You make it seem like Iam saying hazing is ok but this is not? I don't see why you are bringing in other types of stupid behavior that feats and sororitys participate in?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Ok I'm not disagreeing? They are morons really. The behavior is also just ignorant. You make it seem like Iam saying hazing is ok but this is not? I don't see why you are bringing in other types of stupid behavior that feats and sororitys participate in?
I'm just trying to illustrate some perspective. I got a impression you thought this was on a different level of inappropriate/stupid than it really was.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 PM

Not at all. If anything hazing is even worse. It can create physical and emotional harm to a individual. I think both hazing in general and the racist behavior by this sorority are both stupid behaviors in which they they need to learn their lesson from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies