Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,155,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
reconmark, there are some nutcases on this forum, but I think everyone could agree that second picture is, without a doubt, overtly racist.
But what makes a picture of people in blackface more racist than a picture of people in ponchos and sombreros with fake bushy black mustaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,276,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Here is what I never understand from people who cry about the first amendment. Why is it ok for somebody to offend people of a different color, but its not ok for those offended to be outraged?
That's called white privilege. What really upsets these a holes is that everything isn't just one way now.

See white folks used to be to make fun of anybody, say anything about any group and nothing was done.

Now, see they might face consequences. People might look at your innocent racist joke and say fu and I'm going to hold you accountable for what you said or did.

See for some, white folks are supposed to be able to offend and everyone else is just supposed to take it.

They are upset that the world is no longer a paradise for white bigots.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,234,317 times
'Some of the people saying this picture is not racist are probably semi-retarded Pollacks or greasy, Italian daegos. Some of the Irish-Americans are too drunk to type how inoffensive they think that photo is.'

Now, out of the context of this thread, those comments would be regarded as very offensive and would probably get this post deleted by a mod.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,276,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
'Some of the people saying this picture is not racist are probably semi-retarded Pollacks or greasy, Italian daegos. Some of the Irish-Americans are too drunk to type how inoffensive they think that photo is.'

Now, out of the context of this thread, those comments would be regarded as very offensive and would probably get this post deleted by a mod.
It should be deleted. We don't have to insult anyone's ethnicity to make the point that doing so is wrong.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,941,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
A few points:

1) I take a UNIVERSAL view of racism, I don't play favorites....probably because I have a cornucopia of races as friends and fyi my SO is mostly mexican. What that means is that I don't get that bent out of shape by stuff like this which IS IN POOR TASTE (as previously noted) but it's nothing worse than I see all the time in society. The only reason we are kicking this around is because it's mostly rich white girls acting young and dumb. See, I am playing it fair because if it were a blacks only fraternity making slanty eyes you wouldn't have this uproar. I guess I just look at this as some sort of bad tasteless joke and not something like denying people jobs due to race, unequal legal protection, profiling and so on and so forth.

2) Since you brought up TM, let me ask you a question. Why in the TM scandal was the idiot Zimmerman called "white" but now when we have a sorority of (mostly) white girls....they are racist for making fun of mexicans who are now "not white"? My ONLY disagreements with the TM saga were that Zimmerman wasn't initially charged when he should have been and additionally that his motivation was racial and people and news orgs like NBC were falling all over themselves to make it a race issue. The real problem there are idiots like Zimmerman and the horrible SYG laws but that all got buried in a faux race crisis between a "white" guy his black victim.

3) So basically, I'm not the one condoning a double standard and sinking into the mud to pillory these girls and call them things like white supremists. I'm treating them the same dang way and not checking their ethnicity to decide if I should wave it off as stupid or some more sinister act. Please note that society as a whole does NOT do this, I like to think I'm maybe ahead of the curve on this one as I don't excoriate one racial group and then turn around and give another a free pass.
Neither do I. The OP posted this topic to discuss. This has nothing to do with housing, jobs or unequal legal protection. It is an idiotic picture that was done in .poor taste. If were a picture of black sorority girls making slanty eyes with a stereotype about Asians or doing the same exact thing that the girls in this picture are doing, I would say the same thing.

With regards to George Zimmerman, Latino is not a race. One can be hispanic and black or White. Race classifications usually include one for "caucasian, not hispanic" and one that says hispanic. Why can't hispanics choose white, why do they add the extra there, that says not hispanic after caucasian? Apparently because their ethnicity makes a difference. A person can be Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc and be a mix of different races or they can be 100% white, black, or idigenous. According to George Zimmerman's ex, his mother encouraged them to marry white spouses, but when he was arrested and the racist accusations came into it, he made a point to let the media know that he has black in him and to let his hair grow out and his skin get darker to look more hispanic. So he can pull the hispanic out of him whenever he feels the need - is that playing rhe race card? I don't care what he is. SYG sucks and people should not be able to get away with murder. I feel the same about the black guy who killed the hispanic guy and the white guy who killed a black teenager at a gas station.

Who is calling the girls white supremacists? I think they are young girls who are either ignorant, trying hard too hard to fit it in, or just rude. As I've said before, my kids have made offensive remarks, it was a teaching moment for me and a learning moment for them. Maybe this is what it will be for these girls, or maybe they will continue. No skin off my back either way, but it is still offensive. Two wrongs don't make a right and I am not sure why it is so hard for some people to understand that those who have been oppressed historically are going to be more sensitive than those who have historically been the oppressors. No one is going to lose their mind over this and their lives will not be ruined, but when people see pictures like this, they react.

If rich white girls were offended by white chicks, they should let it be known. By the way, I have heard white comedians make jokes about black people, to their faces. I have seen comedy shows where there are white comedians and they make some of the same jokes about whites and blacks that some of the black comedians have made and the audience laughed just as hard or harder. No one got angry and wanted to kill them. I have also seen blacks get mad at black comedians because of jokes done in poor taste. Apparantly some people know their audience and know their boundaries, while others don't. It isn't always about a double standard or people playing the race card. If you believe that this was done in poor taste, why not just leave it at that? Why is there always a need to bring up what some other group (blacks, hispanics, etc) does wrong? Aren't there enough threads about the others?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:18 PM

77,931 posts, read 60,091,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
That's called white privilege. What really upsets these a holes is that everything isn't just one way now.

See white folks used to be to make fun of anybody, say anything about any group and nothing was done.

Now, see they might face consequences. People might look at your innocent racist joke and say fu and I'm going to hold you accountable for what you said or did.

See for some, white folks are supposed to be able to offend and everyone else is just supposed to take it.

They are upset that the world is no longer a paradise for white bigots.
Ah, ok then....the next time I'm on the bus and some koreans are complaining about the *in korean* "fudging n-words" at the front of the bus I will just not be offended. Thanks!

See, it's ok for them to call black people that, because they are not white.

Kinda wierd how you've outlined all bigotry as coming FROM white people and being aimed at minorities.
It almost sounds.....what's the word for it? Oh yeah, racist.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,941,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You might be surprised. I can think of some on this forum who would support that picture, argue for pages there's nothing wrong with it.
Or they would say something about free speech, all while ignoring the offensive content.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM

77,931 posts, read 60,091,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Where are these racially exclusive frats?
Um, at colleges and universities.

Alpha Phi Alpha, while not "officially" racially exclusive.....is by any test that would be applied to a corporation or other institution.....indeed racially exclusive.

They are a fine organization, they are just virtually completely black.

There are others. <shrug>

Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,810,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Here is what I never understand from people who cry about the first amendment. Why is it ok for somebody to offend people of a different color, but its not ok for those offended to be outraged?
theres white mexicans you know,

Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,895,703 times
feewings have definitely been hurt here

For anyone of us who get offended at stuff like this, lets get over ourselves for a moment and stop fancying we are significant enough to justify taking things personally. Lets also stop fancying our 'race' has significance to anyone but ourselves, if its really so delicate and fragile that a simple photo can mar and damage it, then its probably nothing to be proud of in the first place.

The whole idea of taking personal offense and such thin-skinedness kind of disgusts me. Not at the person offended but at the pettiness and self-centered tunnelvision of human nature in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies