Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
That's a good point.

Can't really blame Wall Mart for the corruption and shoddy practices of foreign govts.
So let me see If I get this straight...

1) It is the fault of the foreign governments that allow this to happen and not the workers nor the employers
2) But When it comes to the poor in our country, it is the fault of the poor people for welfare despite the fact that the 1% control the government. Obama, Bush, etc all serve their cronies and not the American people.

Color me confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Personally I'd rather someone didn't lose their life in order to make me a cheap T-shirt.
Don't buy the T-shirt then.

Or do you buy the products but sing the Lib song at the same time?

Can't have it both ways.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
They are 50-100 years behind us. Like it or not, that is where they are and will evolve over time.

As they improve their wages go up. China is an example of slowly rising wages and labor changes.
For us..we're going down. And we're going down kicking and screaming all the way.

Eventually we will reach equilibrium. And the creation of the "global worker" will be complete.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
But if the foreign govt.s couldn't give a rats about their own people, then why should we?

Ayn Rand had the right idea on this one.

Let nature sort it out!
I agree, lots of people in America that need to be taking a dirt nap

Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
So let me see If I get this straight...

1) It is the fault of the foreign governments that allow this to happen and not the workers nor the employers
2) But When it comes to the poor in our country, it is the fault of the poor people for welfare despite the fact that the 1% control the government. Obama, Bush, etc all serve their cronies and not the American people.

Color me confused
1. CORRECT

2. WTF? way off base there...

I never said anything about welfare or how things are in our own countries, nor did I blame the poor.

The situation is similar in respects though - ie: the rich and powerful make the rules but at least we have democracy, unions, labor laws etc.. that allow for some kind of negotiation.

These laws were brought in through people power in the past - Karl Marx and other such heroes spring to mind.

Last edited by Kenneth-Kaunda; 12-07-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Personally I'd rather someone didn't lose their life in order to make me a cheap T-shirt.
Well you're buying it aren't you ? As long as you keeping buying them, the company will keep making them.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well you're buying it aren't you ? As long as you keeping buying them, the company will keep making them.
I don't shop at Walmart.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
1. CORRECT

2. WTF? way off base there...

I never said anything about welfare or how things are in our own countries, nor did I blame the poor.

The situation is similar in respects though - ie: the rich and powerful make the rules but at least we have democracy, unions, labor laws etc.. that allow for some kind of negotiation.

These laws were brought in through people power in the past - Karl Marx and other such heroes spring to mind.
We have Perceived Democracy where those same criminals control the media and if you have not noticed the rights and control of the people has been in decline and diminishing while the ones that should be taking a dirt nap are in control.

Unions, Wages of the Common Man in this country, Freedoms etc have all been taking a backstage and on the decline all for Globalism, while the criminal elite reap the benefits

Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Fires in these garment factories are not an unusual event.

At the same time "global giants like Walmart continue to maintain the pressure on suppliers and factories to lower prices, inevitably leading to deteriorating, not improving, working conditions."

Police attack Bangladesh garment workers

Fires in garment factories are rare in the US, not so in foreign countries. I don't expect companies like Walmart to pay for new fatories in these countries but they need to have standards. If these corporations want to remain in the US they need to have standards in the countries they do business, Walmart inspected the factory and gave it a low rating. Aside from the fire exits being locked take a look at the working conditions on the floor from the pictures, their attempt at improving working conditions seems rather half hearted. If these companies wanted to institute real change they could put strict requirements in place.

It took the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire that occured in NYC in 1911 to change working conditions, child labor laws, etc maybe this will bring about some changes.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Among the largest percentage of shoppers at WalMart are the working poor of this country. Anyone that is on a budget and looks to stretch their dollars shops there. This allows the poor to have a better standard of living than does shopping at stores that offer the same products at higher costs. A pair of Wranglers is a pair of Wranglers, rather you buy them from WM for $14, Shopco for $16 or Target for $20.

So...we have whiny liberals that accuse the "right" of hating on the working poor. Yet they want to be able to demand that these same working poor effectively subsidize better working conditions in SEA. Hey libbies, here's a thought. Write a nice big check to the owners of those factories asking them to use that money to pay for better working conditions. Put YOUR money where YOUR mouths are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies