Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It doesn't work that way - that if you don't win you at least get "mentioned". You are either nominated or you aren't. There's no such official Academy language as a "mention".

And all of the companies that produce movies take out full page ads in the trades that have "for your consideration" for the movies they've produced that year in the copy. It doesn't mean that the movies are being considered for an Oscar, it's a way to bring the movie to the attention of the members of the Academy that vote, and to remind them who (what personnel) to vote for.

The only people who are "mentioned" in the way you mean it are the actual nominees, of which there are around 5 of each category, except for Best Picture, which has 10. The vast majority of movies are not nominated and therefore not "mentioned", nice as that would be for them all.

Exactly, why were you asking what mentioned means if you already knew? You just pretty much repeated what I said, do you realize that?

Perhaps you're just trying to start an argument. That's how it seems to me anyhow.

It's not how I mean it. The phrase is used often enough and you have heard it before, stop being coy.

You might read an article about a new movie coming out and it might say for instance. "This film is already being mentioned for an oscar." In which case it obviously has not been nominated, only added to the short list of films the Academy may choose to nominate. The movie that we are discussing in this thread, not only did not get nominated, it was not on the short list of 15 that the Academy would choose from. It did not get a mention. You get it? They might refer to this as being 'snubbed' which is also not part of the official jargon of the Academy.

You do not have to be nominated to get a mention. In fact I would guess most of the time it would refer to films that made the final 15 not the official nominations, though I don't work in the industry or even watch access Hollywood.

It's not an official term. Sort of how "splitting the uprights" is not found in the NFL rule books but you know what it means. Perhaps you don't though, perhaps you are from another country, if so I apologize. You've already made me write far more about this than I cared to, so if you are trolling you got me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,425 times
I used to love the Oscars, until I took a step back to realize what is actually was; a party thrown by rich, out-of-touch millionaires where they take four hours of TV prime-time to lavish recognition and awards on themselves. It's essentially a "look how awesome we are" party they throw for themselves and put on TV for us to sit through.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Maybe because there are many others who feel the same way I do. I am going shopping now, so have a nice day.

I don't understand why you would click on a thread about movies if you don't like them, just so you can say you don't like them?

What does your opinion(our those who share it) concerning not liking movies, have to do with this film not being nominated for a prestigious award?

You could start a thread about not liking movies and going shopping instead.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Telling the truth is not allowed in Hollywood.
Bigoted tripe is generally frowned upon in present day Hollywood.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 12-06-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Bigoted tripe is not allowed in Hollywood.

Try to be more objective. Either the movie is Oscar worthy and got snubbed for content or it is not Oscar worthy. Since I have not seen this, nor the 15 that are actually being considered (mentioned for my friend above) I can not say if this deserves mention.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Never mind.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Is it actually a good movie? Be honest now.

I am willing to watch if it is actually good. If it is more doom and gloom nonsense like most of those movies are I am not going to watch it.

Those types of movies like this and those movies that Michael Moore makes are usually very one-sided and don't tell the whole truth.

To be fair, plenty of movies that are not good get Oscar nods and I am sure there are other good movies being snubbed as well.

Any movie that seeks out to divide the nation is unpatriotic and amounts to treason in my eyes. There was a time where that sort of thing would not have been tolerated. If it's another one of those birther/antichrist movies I'd be embarrassed to admit I watched it.

I might go watch it just to see if it is any good. Unlike most of the posters on here, I can handle hearing different sides of arguments. In fact I've seen so many of those types of movies I have grown tired of them. They are all the same. We know many of you still have not gotten over having a black president.

Am I wrong? I hate to judge the movie before watching it. Is this one different?

I thought that movie the Obama Lies was pretty good, well made.
The movie was good, no & doesn't matter if your a democrat or Republican.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Try to be more objective. Either the movie is Oscar worthy and got snubbed for content or it is not Oscar worthy. Since I have not seen this, nor the 15 that are actually being considered (mentioned for my friend above) I can not say if this deserves mention.
Listen, as far as I know, only documentaries have a short list.

Anybody in the other categories can nominate any film they like.

ETA: was that a documentary???

Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Exactly, why were you asking what mentioned means if you already knew? You just pretty much repeated what I said, do you realize that?

Perhaps you're just trying to start an argument. That's how it seems to me anyhow.

It's not how I mean it. The phrase is used often enough and you have heard it before, stop being coy.

You might read an article about a new movie coming out and it might say for instance. "This film is already being mentioned for an oscar." In which case it obviously has not been nominated, only added to the short list of films the Academy may choose to nominate. The movie that we are discussing in this thread, not only did not get nominated, it was not on the short list of 15 that the Academy would choose from. It did not get a mention. You get it? They might refer to this as being 'snubbed' which is also not part of the official jargon of the Academy.

You do not have to be nominated to get a mention. In fact I would guess most of the time it would refer to films that made the final 15 not the official nominations, though I don't work in the industry or even watch access Hollywood.

It's not an official term. Sort of how "splitting the uprights" is not found in the NFL rule books but you know what it means. Perhaps you don't though, perhaps you are from another country, if so I apologize. You've already made me write far more about this than I cared to, so if you are trolling you got me.

Okay, it would appear that this film is a documentary, which is the only category subject to the short list rule, and has been "pre nominated', if you will.

I do apologize, I thought this film was a complete work of fiction, like all the other movies.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm trying to explain how it works, because you're spouting a bunch of misinformation here.

There is no "short list" of films up for nomination. The members of the Academy can vote for any film they like. The only restrictions are that the voters must actually be in the field they vote for, for example the only voters that can vote for "Best Sound Editing" are sound editors.

Anyone who's eligible to vote can vote for any movie in the category they're eligible to vote in. However, only the movies that have the most votes get nominated.

There is no "mention" from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences UNLESS you've actually been nominated, and 2016 is very unlikely to get a mention, or nod, or be nominated, because it's not an Oscar worthy type film. However, it's quite possible it got a few votes, most likely from the people that worked on it who are Academy members. The general public won't be aware of that though, they only know who gets nominated, not who gets 1 or 2 votes.

So you keep saying it should have gotten a "mention" - aka a nomination, but it's extremely unlikely that would happen because of the way the voting process works - therefore, it's lack of a mention is not a conspiracy against it, most films are not "mentioned".

I never said it should have gotten a mention. I have not seen the movie and don't like those sorts of movies. I voted for the President, however I don't think a movie should be snubbed for content.

Every year they release this at the same time and let us know which films are in consideration for Oscar Nomination. You should have read the article in the OP and you would know what we are talking about.

I forgive you. I've put my foot in mouth before as well.

Here are a few links to help you.

Academy Awards 2012 Shortlist

15 documentaries make Oscar shortlist - CBS News

'Bully' ends up on Oscar short list for documentaries - Oklahoma City Bullying | Examiner.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies