Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM

415 posts, read 615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
So what did you think about the 1950s where the same people were subject to a 91% Federal Income tax?

This marginal increase in taxes will not have a negative effect on California because we already pay astronomically high taxes in comparison to other states and yet we're still the most populous state in the country.

Maybe it's because you get what you pay for...
We have the best economy, the best weather, the best looking women and the best food (other than Vegas, NYC and New Orleans).
I can easily move to Nevada and pay 0% state income tax...but I wont because I prefer living here in the paradise known as San Diego.

My father owns a second home in Nevada so he doesn't really need to do much to avoid the California taxes, and yet he STILL claims residency in California because it's a better place to be. He's obviously in the top bracket considering the fact that he owns multiple homes.

Oregon and Nevada are both income tax havens...guess what, rich people haven't flocked to those states to avoid taxes and they haven't become hotbeds of economic prosperity. California still has the nation's largest economy and will continue to have it after these taxes go into effect.
For some strange reason my bs meter started going off....oh wait....

You need to read the news. You can start with the Salt Lake Tribune and the Las Vegas Sun. Both Nevada and Utah are being buried alive in Californians fleeing California. Makes the news all the time. In fact, the next time you are around a native of UT or NV feel free to mention the exodus. I guarantee they will start ranting. People are fleeing in droves. If you don't believe it you live in denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 PM

20,699 posts, read 19,340,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Because more businesses are leaving than moving in. Should we view a net loss, as a positive to discuss?

Here:
Steven Greenhut: California to middle class: drop dead | state, california, growth - Opinion - The Orange County Register

Here's another fact that progressives want to ignore:

Many Californians have been departing for more affordable states, with a net loss of four million residents to other states over the past 20 years (while continuing, of course, to attract immigrants.) Of those who remain, nearly two-in-five Californians pay no income tax, and one in four receive Medicaid.

As I said "California has become a state full of useless eaters"

Why would I start a business in California when my employees have to pay income taxes, sales taxes and high rents? Why would I myself pay high rents for warehouse space? When you lower property taxes, it adds to the value of the real estate which sooner or latter will be purchased with a mortgage. That will then create a stream of interest charges out of the state. This will cause more taxes on the work force because lower taxes on property gets sucked out of the state.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You are mad that a land owner is selling their land?
I would not say mad. I'd say the society is irretrievably stupid especially since its exactly what the enlightenment era founders of the country were against. We had just rebelled from titled landed gentry and the first and second estates.

Quote:

You sign a lease with a landlord, usually for 12 months. You pay that landlord your money, and in turn you get a place to live for 12 months. What they decide to do with their property after that is their business.
There is no place to live on bare land. Why are they being paid other than a government granted taxing right? Why are we going back to wealth and privilege where the church and landed gentry lease their land to share croppers and peasants ? Why are we not taxing the ground and instead taxing the producers again like Adam Smith and JS Mill said not to do? Why? I don't understand.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually it is a 3% tax increase to 13% of the monetary state tax. In reality, they would still see a small difference with what they currently pay taxes and it would only effect the top incomes in the state, not all of California.
Conservatives have zero perspective when it comes to taxes. I was a young adult when Bill Clinton raised taxes across the board, go read articles from that time, every, and I do mean EVERY conservative predicted economic Armageddon. Every last one of them was dead wrong. In fact those tax increases, combined with spending cuts and a surging economy gave us budget surpluses.

Then so called fiscal conservatives ruined those budget surpluses and created budget deficits by decreasing taxes and fighting two wars and didn't bother to pay for either of them.

Again, how conservatives can in their minds claim to give a fck about the national debt or budget deficits is beyond my ability to comprehend. They spent the Reagan, GHWB, and GWB presidencies not doing anything to control either.

The only times that the government has tried to address those budget deficits by raising taxes, conservatives exploded in protest predicting financial Armageddon that never materialized.

Conservatives are liars and are wrong about everything all the time when it comes to public policy.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,016,566 times
Does anyone understand what a marginal rate is?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

Yes and it has the same effect. Why work harder?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,154,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Because more businesses are leaving than moving in. Should we view a net loss, as a positive to discuss?

Here:
Steven Greenhut: California to middle class: drop dead | state, california, growth - Opinion - The Orange County Register

Here's another fact that progressives want to ignore:

Many Californians have been departing for more affordable states, with a net loss of four million residents to other states over the past 20 years (while continuing, of course, to attract immigrants.) Of those who remain, nearly two-in-five Californians pay no income tax, and one in four receive Medicaid.

As I said "California has become a state full of useless eaters"
You still haven't shown any stats indicating that there are fewer total businesses in California. As I mentioned, you only want to talk about how many have left, not how many have moved in plus new businesses started.

As for migration losses, the article notes that the population in California is still increasing.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Conservatives have zero perspective when it comes to taxes. I was a young adult when Bill Clinton raised taxes across the board, go read articles from that time, every, and I do mean EVERY conservative predicted economic Armageddon. Every last one of them was dead wrong. In fact those tax increases, combined with spending cuts and a surging economy gave us budget surpluses.

Then so called fiscal conservatives ruined those budget surpluses and created budget deficits by decreasing taxes and fighting two wars and didn't bother to pay for either of them.

Again, how conservatives can in their minds claim to give a fck about the national debt or budget deficits is beyond my ability to comprehend. They spent the Reagan, GHWB, and GWB presidencies not doing anything to control either.

The only times that the government has tried to address those budget deficits by raising taxes, conservatives exploded in protest predicting financial Armageddon that never materialized.

Conservatives are liars and are wrong about everything all the time when it comes to public policy.

Yeah what a boom. Everyone was borrowing money while banks were handing out leverage to buy stocks and bonds. One big asset bubble.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Conservatives have no perspective when it comes to taxes. They react so ignorantly to a slight marginal rate tax increase.

It is armageddon. California the most populous state in the nation with HUGE industry is doomed they'll insist and when California thrives, they'll say its for another reason.

Conservatives are wrong all the time about everything when it comes to public policy.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 PM

17,397 posts, read 11,963,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

Well, those things aren't happening in CA. In fact, the tax increase was because politicians won't cut ANYTHING.

I will never understand how Californians could vote to increase taxes, but NO cuts happened. Until that happens (just read where legislators were fixing up their govt cars, on the govt dime, so that they can buy them from the state), the state will NEVER be OK.

I'm glad every day that I left years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies