Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The lack of a budget is certainly true and another ridiculous point. As to the others, do you have any evidence that he was not in support of the spending?
It does not matter what the President supports or does not support. Congress controls the purse strings of the nation, not Presidents. Presidents also do no raise or lower taxes, only Congress can do that. This is very basic civics. Since the overwhelming vast majority of Americans do not know this, I can only conclude that most Americans are civically illiterate and have utterly no clue how their own government functions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
As a matter of fact (discounting 2009) Obama has increased annual spending less than any other president in the last 60 years. The biggest problem in recent years has been the loss of revenue due to the recession.
Why is annual spending being increased at all when we are having to borrow everything we are spending. I don't think most of you realize how the budget works. I know I don't know a lot but I do know that you don't increase spending when you are over budget already. It was not necessary and he keeps spending on the most idiotic things. I saw on TV yesterday that one of his friends had received almost $800,000 for making a film. It was some kind of stimulus for Michigan. We cannot afford any more handouts for Obama's friends. Somebody needs to reign this man in. He reminds me of Elvis Pressley except that Elvis spent his own money. We cannot afford helping this man buy any more friends with borrowed taxpayer money.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It does not matter what the President supports or does not support. Congress controls the purse strings of the nation, not Presidents. Presidents also do no raise or lower taxes, only Congress can do that. This is very basic civics. Since the overwhelming vast majority of Americans do not know this, I can only conclude that most Americans are civically illiterate and have utterly no clue how their own government functions.
We should require American Govt tests in order to register to vote. One of my coworkers thought the three branches of government are called "presedential, congressional and um...the senate?" And she had the audacity to question my voting motives lol

Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
While correct, it's also not that simple, and I agree with your conclusion about most Americans. The President submits his proposal for budgeting. The Executive Branch also has checks and balances on the Legislative Branch. The President also has the bully pulpit to set agendas and lead the process. For example, Congress took up the healthcare bill at the urging of the President (not fully counted in spending because it was set to take effect later). They were under Democratic leadership in both houses with Mr. Bush in office but would not have done that then.

If Mr. Obama doesn't accept credit for the spending, I would suggest that he stop referring to such things with "I" and the blame Bush claim should also be stopped.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
I will have to agree with you on this. If the people in this country had a clue how the government functions, they certainly would not have voted this man in again. It was a self destructive move on the part of the American people. Now this president is using the fact that he got the most votes to do even more damage. If you care one bit about this country, you need to get in touch with every one of your represeatatives and let them know you are in support of them in getting the spending in the United States under control. Otherwise there will be no country to get under control.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Bush passed Obama's stimulus? Wow, that's a new one for me.

Those are the facts.
Not quite. The FY2009 Continuing Resolutions and Omnibus bill were passed by a Democrat controlled Congress, as was the FY2008 Continuing Resolutions and Consolidated Appropriations bill. Democrats took control of Congress in January 2007 and held the majority in both houses until November 2010.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Bush passed Obama's stimulus? Wow, that's a new one for me.
No one said Bush passed Obama's stimulus, he signed TARP and the pork that went with it, and it fell on Obamas fiscal year, and that is a fact.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Don't forget George Bush also wiped out a $250,000,000.00 SURPLUS built up by President Clinton.

World War II alone cost 3.6 TRILLION dollars

Iraq war will cost more than World War II - CSMonitor.com

Obama’s and Bush’s effects on the deficit in one graph - The Washington Post
There was no surplus under Clinton. The money that was "surplus" was simply used to buy "special" Treasury securities and was spent. It didn't pay down the debt, it was transferred intergovernmentally.

But don't believe me. Obama told you in no uncertain terms:

Quote:
The Obama administration had warned that if lawmakers did not act on the debt limit by midnight, the nation would no longer be able to pay many of its obligations - potentially including social security checks, military pay and other payments - and could default on its debt, causing worldwide economic chaos as well as increased borrowing costs for Americans.
Obama signs debt limit bill after nasty fight - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Yeah, that's right. If the U.S. government couldn't increase its debt it wouldn't be able to payout SS checks. Maybe you should ask yourself why that is...

SS is a tax for the general use of the government and nothing else. There wasn't ever a "trust fund" where money went when it came in in excess. It was simply a mildly complicated transfer scheme so to raise taxes for the general fund in some sort of hope that you'd never actually have to pay that money back out and that you'd always have more people coming in on the front end than would be leaving. Maybe FDR and his democrat congress were thinking by the time they had to pay it out they'd simply be taking over countries right and left and that's how they'd be always increasing the people coming into the system.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I will have to agree with you on this.
So, you agree it is Congress, not the president, who controls the purse.

Quote:
If the people in this country had a clue how the government functions, they certainly would not have voted this man in again.
But here you seem to think the president controls all spending.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
There was no surplus under Clinton. The money that was "surplus" was simply used to buy "special" Treasury securities and was spent. It didn't pay down the debt, it was transferred intergovernmentally.

But don't believe me. Obama told you in no uncertain terms:

Obama signs debt limit bill after nasty fight - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Yeah, that's right. If the U.S. government couldn't increase its debt it wouldn't be able to payout SS checks. Maybe you should ask yourself why that is...

SS is a tax for the general use of the government and nothing else. There wasn't ever a "trust fund" where money went when it came in in excess. It was simply a mildly complicated transfer scheme so to raise taxes for the general fund in some sort of hope that you'd never actually have to pay that money back out and that you'd always have more people coming in on the front end than would be leaving. Maybe FDR and his democrat congress were thinking by the time they had to pay it out they'd simply be taking over countries right and left and that's how they'd be always increasing the people coming into the system.
Surpluses and deficits pertain to the budget, not the national debt. It is very possible to have a large surplus and still go further in debt. If revenues are $3 trillion, and the budget is $4 trillion, and Congress only spends $3.5 trillion, then there is a $500 billion surplus in addition to another $500 billion added to the National Debt.

There was a Social Security Trust Fund, until 1968. When a Democrat controlled Congress decided to put the Social Security Trust Fund into the General Fund in order to pay for LBJ's "Great Society" and "War on Poverty." Since 1968 all Social Security revenues have gone directly to the General Fund for Congress to spend as it sees fit. Two-thirds of the publicly held portion of the National Debt is a direct result of Congress spending Social Security revenues that did not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies