Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 PM

800 posts, read 781,212 times

Advertisements

In other news the Gulf States, which suffered the full force of a Category 5 hurricane (Sandy was a Category 1 by some sources or not even a hurricane in others) that caused over $110 billion dollars in damage received only $60 billion in federal aid.

Whereas Sandy, which caused anywhere from between $50-$65, has NY, NJ, etc. demanding the federal gov. essentially pick up the tab for the whole thing so they don't have to pay a dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
I pulled some of the text. It's pork and disgusting. A new roof for a museum in Virginia that has leaked for years.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
I believe this is the text.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...-112hr1eas.pdf

Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default Excess FEMA trailers 4 sale

Let's see. FEMA not only has beaucoup trailers, but so many, it is selling them off.

And,

If you believe the many many officials who can't help but who can hinder homeowners from rebuilding efforts, reconstruction is going to take a very long time. But check this video out.

'Kitchen Cousins' help rebuild Brick family's home in wake of Hurricane Sandy | NJ.com

Obama needs to appoint a Czar.
Attached Thumbnails
Obama wants 60 billion for Sandy victims-fema-trailers-4-sale.jpg  

Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well people, I hope you've learned some lessons here.

When disaster strikes be prepared to be on your own because government help is but a month or three away.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 PM

14 posts, read 20,602 times
Default Show me the Money

Show the American Public how this money is to be spent; not allocated but line item by line item. Plus this is Union Contractors along there so how many Union Reps are going to get bonusses out this? face it the Grant Writers, Estimators are busy at work looking how much they can get.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Wonder if he asked China........
My dad use to say "it was hard to get blood from a turnip"......guess our President has figured out how.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with money for the Sandy victims if the government wasn't the one in charge of spending it. This is the administration that loaned 500 million to Solyndra even after they were explicitly told that the company was going to fail. This is the administration who used part of the stimulus money to build a tunnel for turtles in Florida. They have proven they cannot be trusted to use money wisely.
For your information the government sends checks to individuals, so I don't know what you are talking about. FEMA cut me a check within a few days for emergency housing and then another check within two weeks for emergency home repairs.

The problem is that FEMA has neither the funds nor the authorization to issue billions to individuals so they can perform non-emergency repairs. That's up to Congress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well people, I hope you've learned some lessons here. When disaster strikes be prepared to be on your own because government help is but a month or three away.
As someone who had flooding and wind damage from Sandy, I can tell you how well FEMA and the government were on the ball.

The night Sandy hit there was several feet of water in the streets in Long Island. Several homes and businesses caught fire (and one exploded.) The fire trucks couldn't get through but the National Guard did.

The next day, we had FEMA helicopters landing in the field behind my house and the National Guard was handing out food, water and blankets.

Ordinarily, Congress acts quickly but we don't live in ordinary times. We have a GOP controlled House that is a do nothing House and the worse on record.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The next day, we had FEMA helicopters landing in the field behind my house and the National Guard was handing out food, water and blankets.
And you speak for all the Sandy victims ?
Haven't you read ANY of the stories from Queens or Staten Island ?

No FEMA in sight and the Red Cross was there SELLING coffee and blankets.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And you speak for all the Sandy victims ?
Haven't you read ANY of the stories from Queens or Staten Island ?

No FEMA in sight and the Red Cross was there SELLING coffee and blankets.
Yeah, I had all the victims over for a BBQ. Of course, I didn't speak to ALL the victims. I can only go by my personal experience.

What I do see in the paper is that the devastation is enormous and the resources are limited. That's exactly why it is outrageous that the House is sitting on its hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies