Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:48 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,405,068 times

Advertisements

I wanted to give you all something to laugh at and tear apart as totally untrue.

"Intelligence Institute Study shows Fox News viewers have an IQ that is 20 points lower than the U.S. National average."

"The results of a 4 year study show that Americans who obtain their news from Fox News channel have an average IQ of 80, which represents a 20 point deficit when compared to the U.S. national average of 100."

"Researchers at The Intelligence Institute, a conservative non-profit group, tested 5,000 people using a series of tests that measure everything from cognitive aptitude to common sense and found that people who identified themselves as Fox News viewers and 'conservative' had, on average, significantly lower intelligent quotients. Fox Viewers represented 2,650 members of the test group."

"Test subjects who received their news from other outlets or reported they do not watch the news scored an average IQ of 104, compared to 80 for Fox News viewers."

"The researchers said that an IQ of 80 is well above the score of 70, which is where psychiatrists diagnose mental retardation. P. Nichols says an IQ of 80 will not limit anyone's ability to lead happy, fulfilling lives."

I've never heard of the The Intelligence Institute before, but their web site is atrocious. I apologize to anyone who actually clicks on that link. It looks like it was made with an Microsoft Office Product, which right there disqualifies this study as anything useful.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 PM

9,132 posts, read 5,778,281 times
There's another thread on this.
It's amazing how many fools
believe this moronic "study."

Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM

52,454 posts, read 34,176,412 times
Too late. Some lib already barfed this one up a couple days ago proclaiming it 100% true

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,984,138 times
Lead researcher, P. Nichols, explains, "Less intelligent animals rely on instinct when confronted by something which they do not understand. This is an ancient survival reaction all animals, including humans, exhibit. It's a very simple phenomenon, really; think about a dog being afraid of a vacuum cleaner. He doesn't know what a vacuum is or if it may harm him, so he becomes agitated and barks at it. Less intelligent humans do the same thing. Concepts that are too complex for them to understand, may frighten or anger them."

Makes sense to me.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,405,068 times
Sorry, wasn't on the first page, nor did a search pull it up easily.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,450,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I wanted to give you all something to laugh at and tear apart as totally untrue.

"Intelligence Institute Study shows Fox News viewers have an IQ that is 20 points lower than the U.S. National average."

"The results of a 4 year study show that Americans who obtain their news from Fox News channel have an average IQ of 80, which represents a 20 point deficit when compared to the U.S. national average of 100."

"Researchers at The Intelligence Institute, a conservative non-profit group, tested 5,000 people using a series of tests that measure everything from cognitive aptitude to common sense and found that people who identified themselves as Fox News viewers and 'conservative' had, on average, significantly lower intelligent quotients. Fox Viewers represented 2,650 members of the test group."

"Test subjects who received their news from other outlets or reported they do not watch the news scored an average IQ of 104, compared to 80 for Fox News viewers."

"The researchers said that an IQ of 80 is well above the score of 70, which is where psychiatrists diagnose mental retardation. P. Nichols says an IQ of 80 will not limit anyone's ability to lead happy, fulfilling lives."

I've never heard of the The Intelligence Institute before, but their web site is atrocious. I apologize to anyone who actually clicks on that link. It looks like it was made with an Microsoft Office Product, which right there disqualifies this study as anything useful.
I never heard of them either and don't know whether their stuff is biased or not. I don't really care.

Even if it is true, it doesn't bother me. I don't care if the average conservative IQ is lower. It really doesn't mean anything. I don't think proving the assertion wrong is the correct approach. Dismissing it as irrelevant is the proper approach in my opinion.

Here's one good reason why - the same people who will come on this thread and gloat over this IQ thing are the very same people will go on a Voter ID thread and protest against requiring a voter to have a picture ID. Now any worthwhile participation in society requires an ID already. So who is it exactly these folks are desperately trying to get to vote? The most apathetic, unproductive, and unengaged segment of society. And are they trying to get them to vote because they will vote Republican? Not likely.

So essentially, anybody who wants to loudly proclaim that Fox News watchers are less intelligent than CNN viewers and then wants to actively encourage people who not only don't work, drive, or have bank accounts but who literally aren't eligible to even get jobs, drive, or open a bank account is disingenuous to begin with.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,149,672 times
This site would make The Onion proud....

Ancient articles, verbiage like "Download this amazing insight into Business Intelligence"....

A source IP address that's private, inactive links.

ANd it reads very very similar to: Some News Leaves People Knowing Less

P. Nichols concludes that he wasn't shocked by the studies' results, rather how dramatic their range. "Several previous studies show that self-identified conservatives are less intelligent than self-identified moderates. We have never seen such a homogeneous group teetering so close to special needs levels."

This is some Onion-level satire.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:07 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,169,716 times
So Fox veiwers' average IQs equals their average age....interesting

Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,187,789 times
I think anyone who watches MSM and forms opinions based on it has to be part of the stupid population in this country.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,120,165 times
There is absolutely nothing intelligent about The Intelligence Institute's website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies