Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I lean right {not {R} } and I am for military cuts. Here in Ohio we are building engines that the pentagon does not want and have a air craft carrier that is not needed. I want both of those places to have their doors shuttered ASAP. Are you telling the forum that positions and equipment should remain in place just so people can have jobs and thus driving up the deficit?

I thought the conservative position was for smaller gvt, less spending and they were against waste, oh wait my bad except when it comes to the military There has to be some shared sacrifice in this country if we are serious about cutting the deficit.
"Shared sacrifice" doesn't mean the military. National Defense shouldn't be in competition with a turtle tunnel for funding.

During the election I heard Obama say that stuff about the military not wanting certain stuff and tried to research it. What I was wondering was whose idea it was that the military didn't want this stuff. Was it the military saying "we don't want this" or was it the Democrat government saying "you can't have this" and the military saying "okay we'll try to work around it."

The very idea that military spending is a negotiating chip in politics to be given no greater or lesser priority than pork barrel projects is to me both disgusting and frightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
"Shared sacrifice" doesn't mean the military. National Defense shouldn't be in competition with a turtle tunnel for funding.

During the election I heard Obama say that stuff about the military not wanting certain stuff and tried to research it. What I was wondering was whose idea it was that the military didn't want this stuff. Was it the military saying "we don't want this" or was it the Democrat government saying "you can't have this" and the military saying "okay we'll try to work around it."

The very idea that military spending is a negotiating chip in politics to be given no greater or lesser priority than pork barrel projects is to me both disgusting and frightening.
From my limited knowledge I can only speak about the state of Ohio and the 2 examples I gave are prime examples of needed military cuts. The Pentagon itself said the engines in Boners district are not needed, you know why? there is a better engine being built. The AFB is Mansfield was targeted by the Obama administration for cuts, do you know why? because a bigger and better aircraft carrier is being built.

Now I think you believe in the free market and it has spoken and our gvt should listen and both those places should be shut down. Or is it you believe in FDR's public works project principle and both places should stay intact to give people employment?

I am all for cutting waste, pork spending ,subsidies,and all the rest of the garbage coming out of DC, and if giving a axe I would make Jason {friday the 13th} look like a wimp. But my main point is the {R}s would be suckers if they raise taxes and expect cuts later and the military should not be spared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies