Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Do not listen to Ann Coulter and stop the stupidity !

Ann Coulter Attacks Latinos In Column, As Conservatives Seek To Reach Out To Hispanic Voters

Ann Coulter - December 5, 2012 - AMERICA NEARS EL TIPPING POINTO

For those who don't want to read it it basically boils down to her calling spanish people lazy and entitled and the underclass. Great way to win the spanish vote seriously if the republicans really care to win the latino vote they'll tell idiots like this to just shut up already.
Insulting people is not the best way to get their votes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Insulting people is not the best way to get their votes
She was not insulting Latino citizens nor legal immigrants. Nice how that little fact gets spun in here.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
How to win the Hispanic vote? Stop insulting them with quotes like "Self deport" like Romney did! Imagine if he said the same thing to black Americans?
So says this hispanic who is not of Mexican descent!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I agree corps are not justified, and I favor a corp death penalty for the 3rd major occurrence, but do not expect a SINGLE job back for an American were that to occur. We simply do not measure up versus robots that have progressed so far, and gotten so economical. And it a robot can't do it, offshoring is the next avenue explored.

We still do a ton of mfg, and in such cases, it was more cost effective to do it here. No one makes it here to wave the flag-it is all about the greenback. So these are two distinct issues, in that, for the few manufacturers who would hire illegals, your friends would not be option 2. They would be option 4 at best, so options 2 and 3 (robots and offshoring) would need to come up short before they would have a chance.
My friends? Aren't American workers your friends also? We all know what is going on but what I am not understanding is your lack of outrage over it even if there can be nothing done about it (but that isn't true anyway). Do you actually think that we are going to have robotic waiters and waitresses, landscapers, construction workers? Maybe many many years from now but certainly not now and I even doubt that will happen in the future. Why not deal with the present dilema of the American worker or doesn't that fit you defense of illegal immigrants taking their jobs?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:32 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
She was not insulting Latino citizens nor legal immigrants. Nice how that little fact gets spun in here.
Ok, if you say so.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Wrong! **As a group, the 207 million white residents in the U.S. population receive $212 billion in benefits. As a group, then, they receive some

$1,022 per person in welfare aid, (white)

**There are some 30 million Hispanic residents in the U.S., and Hispanics as a group receive $69 billion in welfare, or roughly

$2,210 per person.( Latin)

This data goes back about 10 years. Hispanics are the fastest growing group in this country and mostly due to illegal immigration and anchor babies so if you think those welfare expenditures haven't increased for them in proportion to their population growth you aren't dealing in reality.

There is no way to gain the Latino vote unless the GOP gives away the soverignty of our country and grants their illegal amigos amnesty. Their tribal, ethnocentric mentality trumps everything including what is in the best interests of this country and our immigration laws. They're special, ya know.
Hispanics are the primary reason why available subsidies are becoming bankrupt. They have also had a significant effect the cost of health care, since most don't have medical insurance, and many enter the country needing medical health. Also, most Hispanics have many children, they are often unable to support financially, many of which are delivered in American hospitals free of charge.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Do you actually think that we are going to have robotic waiters and waitresses, landscapers, construction workers? Maybe many many years from now but certainly not now and I even doubt that will happen in the future.?
All the waitresses that have waited on me are Americans. It is a low paying job, as tips help, but the wage allowed per the DOL is about $3 per hour. The kids can get by on it, as when they are young and good-looking, they will make substantially more in tips.

Construction has gotten far more efficient-which means far fewer workers needed. Landscapers, well that is a nice thing to have, but not a necessity. At the price Americans usually want, it would be largely done without.

In short, wages are dictated by brainpower now, not manual dexterity. That results in the lower wages manual laborers are seeing now, and for better or worse, that trend will just intensify.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
"Latino" also refers to Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, whose countries (or in the case of PR, not a country but a commonwealth) aren't south of the United States.
I'm not the one you should be telling that, I'm Puerto Rican myself. DR is south of the US, anywhere that is south of ~25°N is south of the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Stop slitting hairs you know exactly what I am talking about and no I am not from spain, I am not from central america I am actually a russian/austrian jew from ny but thanks for assuming. When you sign a form that asks for your ethnicity exactly what do you put down ?
Hispanic. What's that got to do with anything?

Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
All the waitresses that have waited on me are Americans. It is a low paying job, as tips help, but the wage allowed per the DOL is about $3 per hour. The kids can get by on it, as when they are young and good-looking, they will make substantially more in tips.

Construction has gotten far more efficient-which means far fewer workers needed. Landscapers, well that is a nice thing to have, but not a necessity. At the price Americans usually want, it would be largely done without.

In short, wages are dictated by brainpower now, not manual dexterity. That results in the lower wages manual laborers are seeing now, and for better or worse, that trend will just intensify.
Wrong! Waiters and waitresses earn minimum wage plus tips if the employer is following the law. These are the kinds of jobs that our American youth and even our less educated need and want.

Keep arguing that Americans won't do construction and landscaping jobs and that those jobs are drying up due to robotics. It simply isn't true. The "trend" is intensifying due to illegal immigration. Now I am done listening to your anti-American nonsense while insinuating that Americans should move over and hand those jobs over to illegal immigrants. I sure hope you aren't an American citizen with that kind of mindset. Bye.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Wrong! Waiters and waitresses earn minimum wage plus tips if the employer is following the law...
Depends on the state: U.S. Department of Labor - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - Minimum Wages for Tipped Employees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies