U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,117,998 times

Advertisements

I don't think this is an impossible outcome of the world today. And when I say WWIII, I mean super powers vs. super powers, with the world factioning off in groups like previous wars. Or is it not possible with the advent of nukes? And instead countries form alliances but indirectly battle through proxy states and causes? I'm writing this because I'm worried of where we are heading as a human race and there are just too many red flags to ignore.

There are so many existing conflicts/rivalries to list (India-Pakistan, Palestinian-Israeli, US-Iran, US-Venezuela, US-Russia, South China Sea, US-North Korea, South Phillippines etc.). But consider almost every major continent:
-Europe is in a economic disaster and tensions are running high between the North and South, riots and resentment are rising and the EU can break apart with lots of unpaid debts
-US power is waning and China is rising, even though they speak of a peaceful rise China does not march to the drumbeat of the US hence conflicts are envitable, both with the US and with other Asian neighbors as we've recently seen with Japan over some islands or with all of South East Asia over the South China Sea
-The Middle East continues to be unstable after the Arab Spring with existing conflicts in Syria, Egypt, Israel, Afghanistan, Iraq etc.
-Africa continues to be full of conflict and civil war in Congo, Sudan, Somalia etc.
-In the Western world, a full blown 'world war' is a distant memory for this generation. We've had time to forget how disastrous it could be and are generally shielded from what happens by the media anyway.

So now if the US goes into a prolong recession (as the debts keep piling up and the Fed keeps printing money) and if Asia slows down significantly (not impossible and signs are there), and Europe continues crumble, we are left in a scary situation where almost all of Planet earth is recessionary and social unrest can manifest anywhere and everywhere. I feel this scenario creates potential for elevated world conflict as tensions rise and scapegoats form and people & governments struggle. We've enjoyed the unsustainable scenario for too long where we have one superpower and there is more or less growth across most of the world (i.e. everyone is somewhat happy) but things are changing quickly. Again, I know this is an odd fear and a bit frontier but I'm worried because WW III within 25 years doesn't seem like an impossibility to me - even though I wish it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,860,194 times
It could happen by 2020.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM

21,376 posts, read 24,137,102 times
It could happen 12-21-2012

Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,578,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Do you believe there will be a World War III in the next 25 years?
No.

[but then again, who really knows?]

Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM

755 posts, read 632,692 times
No.

I see nothing about the present that suggests the next quarter century will be more fertile ground for a superpower v. superpower war than, say, the 40 years between 1950 and 1990. And we managed to avoid it during that even longer span of time.

Further, the modern world is more integrated economically, providing a further disincentive to war than existed during the previous era I noted.

Possible? Sure. Anything is possible. But relatively unlikely.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM

9,782 posts, read 13,369,912 times
I find it very unlikely.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM

35,295 posts, read 19,322,938 times
Default Do you believe there will be a World War III in the next 25 years?

Nope.

Nations risk it all in a war, so they have to convince themselves that there's a big payoff. The interdependence in the world economy ensures that none of the superpowers will ever go toe to toe.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM

3,522 posts, read 3,928,500 times
War? To what end?

No end as far as I can see.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,578,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
War? To what end?

No end as far as I can see.
Or THE END.

[and nobody really wants that - I hope]

Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,117,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
No.

I see nothing about the present that suggests the next quarter century will be more fertile ground for a superpower v. superpower war than, say, the 40 years between 1950 and 1990. And we managed to avoid it during that even longer span of time.

Further, the modern world is more integrated economically, providing a further disincentive to war than existed during the previous era I noted.

Possible? Sure. Anything is possible. But relatively unlikely.
We had one real superpower during 1950 to 1990. The Soviet Union was a paper dragon that blew up on its own. In the next 20-30 years, the US will not be the only superpower and this will open the door to rivalries and unions forming in the world between superpowers.

I don't believe economic integration will prevent wars at all. As the world goes deeper in recession, the more protectionist countries become. And the more disputes there are to be had over what trade is left in valuable resources.

I know its hard to imagine today but I don't think its impossible, especially with the scenario of the US economic clout tanking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies