Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 01:51 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

I can't find another forum that seems appropriate so I'll ask this here. There is no controversy--just wanting an answer.

About 10 months ago we moved to this town and were issued a new phone number. Turns out the phone number had recently belonged to a business. Being a seasonal, touristy business, we didn't really become aware of it until spring when we started getting deluged with phone calls for this business.

By that time, it had been our phone number long enough that we didn't want to change it. We had given it out to everyone.

All spring and all summer we got maybe 5-10 wrong numbers per day. We do screen our calls but it's still annoying to have the phone ringing at all hours. It's actually VERY annoying. Sometimes I will think it's an emergency when the phone rings early in the morning and it's very annoying when I'm expecting a call.

I have contacted the business in question and they have removed the phone number from their website.

For a while I answered the calls and referred them to the proper phone number--but there are more and more calls all the time.

I have contacted the Better Business Bureau who told me to contact the phone company who told me there is nothing they can do except change our number. They said with all the cell phones, they have run out of phone numbers so they have to use old ones over and over. Even a BUSINESS phone number that has people calling all day long???

Winter is coming now, the phone calls have lessened. Here's my main gripe now: We are receiving GOOGLE phone calls "for the business owner" all the time. I have picked up the phone and stayed on the line to talk to a human MANY TIMES so that the phone number will be removed but I was told that there are Hundreds??? of Google (whatever) and that these robo calls from Google can continue...forever? We are a retired couple, we do not want to give up our landline and go completely to our cell phones, so what can we do? Someone said to call a senator. Or should I call Google? State senator? US senator? Someone in some department that regulates communications? Any ideas are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Change your number is the only solution. No one broke any laws and you have no idea how widespread that number is.
No one is to blame. The telephone company used to keep numbers retired for quite a long time but I understand they don't anymore.

You got yourself a headache that's for sure. Your Congressman can't do anything. Websites are not dynamically linked with the phone company such that once a number is changed the website changes.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Wouldn't changing your number and telling all of your friends/family about the new number be less of a headache than what you are going through right now?

Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Annoying? You want annoying?

We were one digit over from a sports bar and got all the wives looking for their husbands at 2 in the morning. We could have done what you should do, which is change your number , but it was too much fun telling the wives their husbands had just left with a blonde in a BMW.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
about all you can do is change your number.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Call the telephone company its their business ;not congresses.Have then chnage it is the only solution.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
My land line # was one digit off from a local surgeon. I eventually tired of the calls and changed my #.

The new # was one digit off from another surgeon. I gave up.

I am amazed at the # of misdialed calls from the hospital and patients.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
I wouldda changed my cell number if I knew I'd still get calls for "Jason" four years later.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
get another number........ That number went public and you will never get rid of the calls with out a new number and i would get one unlisted too boot. That is if you must have a land line...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies