Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,455,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Like it or not, in the future people will be forced to maintain certain weight standards. That is going to be one of the things coming in the Obama dictatorship of the future.
No, it won't. There will be no Obama dictatorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,321,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate347 View Post
I've never quite understood how the health nuts seem to be under the impression that they've found a way to die without it costing any money. End of life care for a fatass having a heart attack probably isn't any more expensive than a health nut getting prostate cancer. While the unhealthy such as smokers or fat people may have higher health care costs during their life, the shorter lifespans should result in significant savings in healthcare (and a great many other services) for all the years they would've survived if only they'd lived a healthier lifestyle.
Because they don't die quickly. They die slowly and cost a lot of money on the way down.
And they don't get diabetes (and its subsequent complications) and die 2 years later. They live decades with it...in and out of the hospital constantly.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,719,550 times
You people should be so happy fat burns! It'll make the ovens run better!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,876,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because they don't die quickly. They die slowly and cost a lot of money on the way down.
And they don't get diabetes (and its subsequent complications) and die 2 years later. They live decades with it...in and out of the hospital constantly.
I have had three mordidly obese friends in my life. Two are dead. Heart attacks, one at age 44, the other at age 53. They never collected SS or Medicare.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,719,550 times
next thing you know you'll be going after booze.......Oh wait a minute...That didn't work so well the first time did it....

Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 PM

108 posts, read 174,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I have had three mordidly obese friends in my life. Two are dead. Heart attacks, one at age 44, the other at age 53. They never collected SS or Medicare.

Exactly! It's so hard to find any actual evidence one way or the other on these matters since virtually all academic studies on such matters either have an advocacy bent or fail to consider a great many of the societal benefits of an individual having a shorter lifespan (such as not collecting SS or Medicare). I'd really love to know the truth, but the possibility of an unwanted truth doesn't fund research. Until it does, we've only got logic and I maintain that every cigarette I smoke and fast food burger I inhale is actually of monetary benefit to society as a whole. It's those damn vegans and workout warriors that are the real selfish jerks.

Last edited by inmate347; 12-10-2012 at 07:31 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 07:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,848,028 times
I'm in good shape and love to working out, and i don't support the notion of "forcing" people too exercise...

Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,321,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That's nice.
Love how you turned anecdote into data.
I've seen close to 50,000 patients and have actually read numerous studies...my anecdote wins.

That being said, I don't think exercise should be mandated.
I do think people should have to pay for their choices, though.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM

108 posts, read 174,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's nice.
Love how you turned anecdote into data.
I've seen close to 50,000 patients and have actually read numerous studies...my anecdote wins.

That being said, I don't think exercise should be mandated.
I do think people should have to pay for their choices, though.

I live right next to the largest retirement community on the planet and one of their main selling points is the "active lifestyle" that is available in that community. It is unimaginable how much money in social security, pension payments, medicare, ect. these people are using. If they were a bit less active, none of them likely would be here and all that money would be saved.

^
Is my anecdote ok?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,852,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Updating the Message to Get Americans Moving - NYTimes.com

40 percent of Americans never exercise, according to poll data. I once heard a doctor say that all the studies showed that no exercise has roughly the same effect on health and lifespan as smoking. We've gone to great lengths to discourage smoking. We've taxed it, restriced it, and demonized it. Advanced nations such as New Zealand have vowed to eradicate it.
New Zealand aims to be smoke free by 2025 - Telegraph

Isn't it simple logic that we will have to do the same thing with exercise? With Obamacare, as a taxpayer I now am forced to pay for the added health care of those who choose not to work out, so why shouldn't I have a way to force them to exercise?

Much of the problem with people over-consuming sodium is that they almost never sweat. Why not have forced long runs, to get people to sweat? It would be a boon to distance runners like me. We could get 6 figure federal salaries just to run behind slobs and make sure they keep up the pace. Maybe with a gov't-issued whip.

Let's move!
Yes, it should be mandatory and the first one it should be mandatory for is that cow of a first lady, Michelle. She seriously needs to drop some pounds from her hulking frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies