Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:33 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times

Advertisements

While I see baggy pants with a sag as a tasteless fashion choice, I think its retarded to "ban" it.

Are we also to start arresting fat plumbers working on city water lines when they show their slot machine?

Can't arrest one and not the other IMO, and this law does not seem to target everyone.

Plus anyone with baggy pants who is actually a criminal is a dream come true for cops in a foot chase. The baggy pants fall, the suspect trips, and the cops have an easier arrest. Seen this happen so many times on police videos, and know a state trooper who LOVES baggy pants as he has had many of them not even try to run because they know their pants will trip them up.

Leave them alone unless genitals are hanging out IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:46 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
For all the kiddies whining about being denied the "right" to have their crack showing in public, Chicago has really clamped down, and now starting up military schools. Finally, someone has taken the lead to give kids a chance in life to succeed! B*tt crack hanging out ain't where it's at, especially on a job interview....

Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,093,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
While I see baggy pants with a sag as a tasteless fashion choice, I think its retarded to "ban" it.

Are we also to start arresting fat plumbers working on city water lines when they show their slot machine?

Can't arrest one and not the other IMO, and this law does not seem to target everyone.

Plus anyone with baggy pants who is actually a criminal is a dream come true for cops in a foot chase. The baggy pants fall, the suspect trips, and the cops have an easier arrest. Seen this happen so many times on police videos, and know a state trooper who LOVES baggy pants as he has had many of them not even try to run because they know their pants will trip them up.

Leave them alone unless genitals are hanging out IMO.
I agree with this post.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
This thread reminds me of when our son came home one day with the baggy pants....

Hubby gave him a choice, "you pull them up or I'll pull them up for you."

He never wore them that way again(at least around us)

Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
Good for hubby, captnemo! And that is how I was raised as well. Oh, the things I was afraid to do because I was "threatened" with extinction on some level or another. Hey it works!! Nowadays though, it's all about destroying their "creativity" and "self esteem", not integrity and self discipline. And so this psycho babble mumbo jumbo allows for home grown criminals to be made en masse and we end up with the "trash culture" of today. Better get off soap box now....

Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,245,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
No. We're targeting inner city kids, mostly black or Hispanic kids (with a smidgen of wannabe suburban white kids), for wearing baggy pants without a belt.
Yes, because you know, blacks and Hispanics don't live in the suburbs and they only live in ghettos *rolls eyes*

Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 PM

385 posts, read 1,890,936 times
sorry for not providing the link as this topic was originally in the miami section and it was moved here.

Sagging pants may be banned in Opa-locka - 10/11/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

that's the original link. i more or less agree with the direction this thread has taken. if you want the city to look better why don't you ban other offensive clothing as well? someone hinted that girls wear tight sweatpants that have a giant kiss on them or something like that - yet that isn't targeted. it is a well known fact that in the area they are banning it (opa-locka) which is a predominately black and hispanic community, it is clear that racism is semi-involved.

wearing your pants down should be a personal choice - if you want to wear your pants like that fine. who are you injuring or bothering? if you don't like it look away, it's quite simple.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,675,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
The two kids at Columbine wore trench coats. I think the kid at Va Tech may have worn one as well.

And, since we're being absolutely ridiculous in this thread, trench coats are well known attire for bombers and flashers. Think of how much of a menace flashers are.

Seriously, this is about as stupid as it gets, telling people what size pants they must wear, and how to wear them.
I could really care less about trench coats. If local authorities want to ban trench coats I could care less one way or another. But wearing pants very low frequently offends people, especially the elderly. And they are VERY frequently used to hide weapons. I would vote for such a measure if it ever reached a local ballot. It sounds like a good law.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
sorry for not providing the link as this topic was originally in the miami section and it was moved here.

Sagging pants may be banned in Opa-locka - 10/11/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

that's the original link. i more or less agree with the direction this thread has taken. if you want the city to look better why don't you ban other offensive clothing as well? someone hinted that girls wear tight sweatpants that have a giant kiss on them or something like that - yet that isn't targeted. it is a well known fact that in the area they are banning it (opa-locka) which is a predominately black and hispanic community, it is clear that racism is semi-involved.

wearing your pants down should be a personal choice - if you want to wear your pants like that fine. who are you injuring or bothering? if you don't like it look away, it's quite simple.
I dont know about making a law againts it, but any kid that plays on one of my football teams , or comes anywhere near my house or business knows they best not ever be seen walking around like a dumb ass with their crotch around their knees. I have had them apply for jobs, I just start laughing ,tell them I have dress code!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies