Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The individuals coming from public educations, have lower IQ's when they reach adult status, than those in Private and home schooled atmospheres.
Of course they do; they started out with higher IQ's. Being capable of paying private scool tuition implies the parents themselves are smart enough to obtain good paying jobs or have the wherewithal to figure out how to receive assistance.

Quote:
Home schoolers achieved individual scores in the top quarter of the population, more than double the number of conventional school students who score in the top quarter.
Right, because they aren't having to figure in the special needs kids and those from lower socioeconomic environments into their stats. Plus parents who homeschool are hopefully of above average intelligence themselves.

Homeschool and private students generally do not come from the lower end of the gene pool, their averages should be smoking the public school averages out of the water. That there isn't a bigger difference is what is surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Yes, because teaching one of your own children at home is equivalent to teaching 25-30 strange children at school.
Try teaching your own and 4 of his friends 9th grade algebra because the teacher thinks they should "discover" that on their own.

Were you able to "discover" the quadratic equation on your own ?

I did that because beginning algebra is the core of pure math and if you don't get that you are in trouble.
And FWIW the teacher did not like that I was teaching my son the traditional way with no calculator.
I made him do the x/y tables and graph the points

He understood what was going on and his grade in Math jumped 20 points.
Then he asked if some of his friends could come over because they didn't understand what was going on either.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Try teaching your own and 4 of his friends 9th grade algebra because the teacher thinks they should "discover" that on their own.

Were you able to "discover" the quadratic equation on your own ?

I did that because beginning algebra is the core of pure math and if you don't get that you are in trouble.
And FWIW the teacher did not like that I was teaching my son the traditional way with no calculator.
I made him do the x/y tables and graph the points

He understood what was going on and his grade in Math jumped 20 points.
Then he asked if some of his friends could come over because they didn't understand what was going on either.
Great, you should be a teacher.
Just add 20-25 strange 9th graders and you'll understand what a teacher does every school day.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
So, a sample size of 16,000 is used to generalize the abilities of 2,000,000?

We couldn't possibly expect a biased report from a home schooling organization, eh?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default Home Schooling -

Home schooling would have been a perfect nightmare for me. I went to school to get away from those people. By the time I was in First Grade I realized home was really crazy (drunk + co dependant) and the less time I spent there the better. Public schools kept me from going completely crazy.

Last edited by GregW; 12-11-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Great, you should be a teacher.
Just add 20-25 strange 9th graders and you'll understand what a teacher does every school day.
Actually it did push me in that direction. I am Math certified 4-8 and 8-12 now and do substitute teaching now that I'm retired. 2-3 days a week and keeping my eye out for a p/t position.

I've been in classes with up to 25. I think we need to bring back tracking for Math and English because a mixed class of 7th grade students with ranges of 3rd grade to 8th grade skill level doesn't work.

Then again NCLB and AYP ratings show that don't they ?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, a sample size of 16,000 is used to generalize the abilities of 2,000,000?

We couldn't possibly expect a biased report from a home schooling organization, eh?
NCLB and AYP yearly scores for the past 10+ years should back that up as well as SAT statistics.
The data is there.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
NCLB and AYP yearly scores for the past 10+ years should back that up as well as SAT statistics.
The data is there.
But are scores on standardized tests the entire measure of education?

I once knew someone with a Masters in Mechanical Engineering, he couldn't manage to put brake pads in a caliper without screwing it up, can't say I was impressed.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 AM

Another interesting tidbit coming from these various studies...race and money spent didn't come into play at all.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But are scores on standardized tests the entire measure of education?

I once knew someone with a Masters in Mechanical Engineering, he couldn't manage to put brake pads in a caliper without screwing it up, can't say I was impressed.
Everyone has to take the SAT or ACT to get into college. These are national tests.
SAT scores is a good comparison of the K-12 education received in various states as well as homeschooled.

No, they are not the "all" but that is what we have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies