U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Chicago, chicago, it's my kinda town
223 posts, read 192,653 times
Reputation: 145

Advertisements

Many conservatives feel that conservativism is such a great thing and yet when you look at the countries and places around the world that are conservative they are often have major problems (ie Saudi Arabia, Libya, Afghanistan[can't get much more conservative then that],etc.). Now, when you look at the liberal countries (most of Europe, Japan, S. Korea, etc.) they are in a hell of a better situation. Heck, the "conservatives" in many of those countries are the equivalent of many Democrats here. Even here in this country if you take away the more liberal areas (ie west coast, much the midwest, northeast) our country would be a shadow of itself. So where are these great examples of countries that conservatism produces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:25 PM
 
29,419 posts, read 17,954,389 times
Reputation: 5434
America. There is a reason we rose to power in such a short time. The left wants to tear all that down though so we can become just like everybody else though. It's only fair after all right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,743,292 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
America. There is a reason we rose to power in such a short time. The left wants to tear all that down though so we can become just like everybody else though. It's only fair after all right?
HA, have you ever read a book? America rose to power because we invaded a giant, perfect and strategically located piece of land and used slaves to generate enormous wealth. We found huge mineral deposits and mined them and created more wealth. We grew a huge army and based on all of that in less than 300 years are where we are at. Trust me, we are still infants in the grand scheme of things. Our growing pains will work themselves out.

People with no real intellectual curiosity or ability to investigate history think it is because of some divine manifest destiny.....or because of Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Chicago, chicago, it's my kinda town
223 posts, read 192,653 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
America. There is a reason we rose to power in such a short time. The left wants to tear all that down though so we can become just like everybody else though. It's only fair after all right?
Well, obviously, part of America is quite conservative but we have a democratic president and senate. And the Republicans would quite literally consider Obama and the rest of the democrats as socialists or even communists. Using republican logic wouldn't that mean we are a liberal country then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 PM
 
29,419 posts, read 17,954,389 times
Reputation: 5434
Ah yes I expected the America is evil crowd to join in and you didn't disappoint me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 PM
 
29,419 posts, read 17,954,389 times
Reputation: 5434
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
Well, obviously, part of America is quite conservative but we have a democratic president and senate. And the Republicans would quite literally consider Obama and the rest of the democrats as socialists or even communists. Using republican logic wouldn't that mean we are a liberal country then?
We are a country infested with idiots right now so if you want to call that a liberal country then you have a point. We weren't a liberal country prior to this infestation. McCarthey tried to stop the madness but was shouted down. The city on the hill has become an inner city hell hole. We will change it back for the sake of our children though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,803 posts, read 7,293,747 times
Reputation: 4496
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
Many conservatives feel that conservativism is such a great thing and yet when you look at the countries and places around the world that are conservative they are often have major problems (ie Saudi Arabia, Libya, Afghanistan[can't get much more conservative then that],etc.). Now, when you look at the liberal countries (most of Europe, Japan, S. Korea, etc.) they are in a hell of a better situation. Heck, the "conservatives" in many of those countries are the equivalent of many Democrats here. Even here in this country if you take away the more liberal areas (ie west coast, much the midwest, northeast) our country would be a shadow of itself. So where are these great examples of countries that conservatism produces?
So you listed the extreme countries on the right, and the moderate countries on the left. Go a step further and mention North Korea, China, Vietnam, and Cuban in your list of liberal countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Where they serve real ale.
7,249 posts, read 6,409,618 times
Reputation: 3497
Somalia, Afghanistan, and Haiti seem to be exactly what they want. Sure, those countries are all disfunctional messes with barely functioning to non-functioning governments but at least no one pays any taxes and you don't have to worry about the evil government funding things like roads, schools, or public sanitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM
 
29,419 posts, read 17,954,389 times
Reputation: 5434

Reagan's shining city on a hill in his farewell address - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Chicago, chicago, it's my kinda town
223 posts, read 192,653 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So you listed the extreme countries on the right, and the moderate countries on the left. Go a step further and mention North Korea, China, Vietnam, and Cuban in your list of liberal countries.
You are right, there are liberal countries that go too far. Extremism and fundamentalism in all forms is bad. Although, China and Vietnam are doing pretty well, especially for being communist. But which conservative countries then are good examples then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top