Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The purpose of a gun is to kill or maim, if you don't realize this, you have no right to own a gun. Many people have their guns taken away from them by criminals because they are not willing or hesitate when it comes to pulling the trigger.

I support the 2nd amendment, but I don't own a gun, and if I did , I would hope that I would never have to use it, unlike the keyboard commandos who constantly post about what badasses they are and how they wish someone would try to break into their house

Thats the purpose of a gun to kill. Even the smallest child knows that. Get real. I am not a keyboard commando either. I carried a m16 in combat for a year. Come into my house and they will be taking you out feet first. No brag, just facts. and I don't claim to be a bad ass, just not a wuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Unless you can fix the person, the means have to be regulated. Judging from the rash of senseless shootings in the past year, we have a lot of problem people. Why pour gas on the fire by allowing guns to flow freely in the public?
Try not to overstate your case - there are regulations, no law is perfect, nor any set of them, there will always be outliers and 'problems' - that is no reason to just jettison a freedom such as the right to bear arms.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 PM

472 posts, read 740,775 times
This tragedy would have been prevented if the girl had not been trying to sneak back into the house.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
This tragedy would have been prevented if the girl had not been trying to sneak back into the house.
The old man opened fire without knowing who or what he was shooting at.

That is indefensible.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Yes and some of you people want to take away the rights of other Americans. I have the right to defend my family and home and I resent wussies who want to take that right away from me. This is America. Go find a country that you think the Police will be there before someone can harm you. Hint.....you are not going to find any.
Why do you assume that non-gun owners want to take yours away? I'm living in a house with guns right now, they're just not mine. When I was a kid, I went hunting with my father (I was too small to handle his guns, tho). Most of my family members own guns; some target shoot and some hunt, one is just bat crap crazy and thinks that she could hit the intruder when she's legally blind.

What I want is for people who shouldn't have guns (mentally ill, violent people, kids) to be prevented from having them. Is that really such a problem to you?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 PM

223 posts, read 246,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The guys with the badges need mop buckets and sponges because they usually show up in time to clean up the mess. Trying to push your nonsense agenda on a tragic story like this is pathetic.
Nonsense is your argument that people shouldn't discuss gun control when someone is shot. I suppose we should wait for a day when there is no gun violence in this country. And considering 30+ people die everyday in this country from guns we will be waiting a long, long time.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post

Reckless gun owners blame the victim. I suppose that guy Cheney gave a face full was in Cheney's way.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Why do you assume that non-gun owners want to take yours away? I'm living in a house with guns right now, they're just not mine. When I was a kid, I went hunting with my father (I was too small to handle his guns, tho). Most of my family members own guns; some target shoot and some hunt, one is just bat crap crazy and thinks that she could hit the intruder when she's legally blind.

What I want is for people who shouldn't have guns (mentally ill, violent people, kids) to be prevented from having them. Is that really such a problem to you?

Mentally ill, violent people, and kids should not own guns. You are certainly right there, but there are people in this country that want to take away gun owning rights of all Americans.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Mentally ill, violent people, and kids should not own guns. You are certainly right there, but there are people in this country that want to take away gun owning rights of all Americans.
How do you separate them out?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
There are some, but they honestly don't stand a chance of success. They may tighten regulations, and I'm not opposed to reasonable regulation of deadly weapons. At minimum, I'd like to see a real background check to weed out the violent and the mentally ill. This would require states to keep their records updated in a searchable database. Hell, my husband just took a temp job (we just moved) which required a full background check, fingerprint check, and drug test ... and a signed confidentiality agreement. Should we require less for potential gun owners?

I'd also like to see a safety course required prior to receipt of the weapon, just because so many idiots think they know all there is to know about guns from watching action movies, yanno?

Speaking of movies - ever see Tremors? Michael Gross plays a survivalist-type with lots and lots of guns in his "rec room". There's a scene where he gives the whiny teenage boy a revolver to get him moving, so the kid won't feel so scared. When the kid freaks and pulls the trigger, he finds that it's unloaded. When Michael Gross takes the gun back, laughing at the kid for thinking he'd give him a loaded gun, he pops the cylinder and double checks before putting it away. THIS struck me. Wise handling of a firearm - he knew it was empty, but still double-checked it before putting it in his belt. Treating it like it was potentially loaded, checking to make sure it wasn't. You don't often see that in movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies