Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Standing ovation!
The Corporations, the car factories are just as much to blame as are the Unions, even more so.,Take a pole please, I will bet the Automotive Companies would vote to NOT disband the Union. With out the control the Union provides it would be a nightmare in the work place, the main reason, the Companies were not built that way from the start.. If you want to scrap the whole system and start over, well that could be another matter, I see the Big three not wanting to enter into that restructure......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Unions offer health & disability insurance, retirement plans, college scholarships and assistance, and representation for their members. They also help pay the bills during strikes. I know several union members who haven't worked in their trades for years, but continue to pay their dues because they get a lot of bang for those bucks.

A member does not have to pay dues continuously. Any member can quit paying his dues, but if he's enrolled in any of the union programs, he may lose his health insurance, just like anyone who gets his insurance as part of his job.
Very few companies pay the whole insurance load any more. So, union or not, a worker is gonna pay for something that's connected to his job.

I live in a right to work state. Right to work is nothing but right to starve. Many companies here still use only union labor, because unions have a full training program for every trade. The journeymen all have to pass union qualifications first to become journeymen, and once a journeyman, state licensing is almost a given, as they can always pass a certification exam and/or test. Apprentices learn their trades from the ground up with assistance from journeymen assigned to them.

This means that a new hospital's construction will be fully up to all safety codes. It means a new factory will meet all environmental requirements when it's completed. It means everything will work right the first time. It means our kids won't ever be threatened by bad heating systems, electrical systems, plumbing, etc. when they go to school.

I just paid a union plumber a few minutes ago. He came fully equipped to do the job, knew how to do it efficiently and quickly, and if a problem develops in my old pipes, he'll come back and do whatever backup work for free. I could have saved $20 by hiring a non-union plumber, but I had none of those assurances if I had.
Yeah, uh ..... no. When it comes to PUBLIC sector unions like teachers and the MTA, the TAXPAYERS are providing the funding to pay for the health insurance and pension benefits, NOT the union. Furthermore, the TAXPAYERS are providing the funding for union salaries. Scholarships, assistance and "representation" for its members? Oh yeah. The wonderful union sharks who cost TAXPAYERS millions in lawsuits, defending thugs like those UAW workers caught drinking and smoking pot on their lunch breaks. Yup, back to work. Btw, has Government Motors paid back all it borrowed from the TAXPAYERS yet?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:31 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Corporations, the car factories are just as much to blame as are the Unions, even more so.,Take a pole please, I will bet the Automotive Companies would vote to NOT disband the Union. With out the control the Union provides it would be a nightmare in the work place, the main reason, the Companies were not built that way from the start.. If you want to scrap the whole system and start over, well that could be another matter, I see the Big three not wanting to enter into that restructure......

Henry Ford didn't want to unionize in the first place and they fought a long bitter process of trying to avoid it, but were unsuccessful. If you think that unions are "good" for the companies and that they desire them, well... you must live in Colorado.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

B*LLSH*T.

Good response....

Either way, IAW, a large union... Also we know how much money the Unions have backing democrats... Go figure the the Democratic leader of the Leader of the US, who coincidentally appointed the head of the National Labor Relations Board.

NLRB stopping job creation
Obama’s NLRB Attacks South Carolina and the US Constitution › 2.0: The Blogmocracy

Gov. Haley: Let

Obama appoints Democratics to the NLRB (note the date, over 2 years ago, before the case was brought up)
Obama Appoints Two Democratic Nominees to NLRB, Leaves GOP Nominee Behind | Work in Progress

bypasses congress and appoints people(note the date)
Obama Bypasses Senate, Makes Appointments to NLRB, Treasury - Bloomberg

Once the Union bullied my company into creating new jobs in other parts of the US, they dropped the unlawful Labor case against my company.

Boeing, union reach deal to build new 737 in Renton - seattlepi.com

Here is how the Union was at the site and eventually voted in, and later Voted out along time ago...
Charleston Regional Business Journal | Charleston, SC

Quote:
Dennis Murray of Summerville, a quality inspector at the facility, said he filed the petition for the decertification vote because he felt as though the union was poorly representing employees.

“I don’t like being stabbed in the back and having bluff and bluster rule the day,†Murray said.

In October 2007, Vought workers, by a 67-60 margin, voted to join the Machinists union. Just more than a year later, the union voted to ratify a contract, settling a year of talks between the union and Dallas-based Vought. But several workers were outraged over how the vote was handled, saying union representatives failed to inform most members of an 11th-hour meeting that was called only days before Vought announced it would be idling its plant for several months.

Workers familiar with the vote say that only 13 people attended the meeting, with all but one voting in favor of the contract. Union spokesman Bob Wood would only say that the contract was ratified by 92% of voting members. The union refused to comment on how many people attended the meeting, but maintained that the timing was necessary because the company was set to lay off most of its work force the following business day. The contract ensured callback rights by seniority.

In the end, democrat or republican its follow the money.... Corporations make big money along with Big Unions. Big Unions, buy votes, companies buy votes. This actually made me a little sick to see how blatant and easily my government was bought and paid for.

After everything they did to threaten to shut the place down....

now they see they were unsuccesful, now they want our money.
Machinists begin organizing effort at Boeing in S.C. - Chicago Tribune

Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Just wondering but what is the with the hate I see on this board from conservatives towards the unions ? I know a few union guys who vote republican but for the life of me I really don't see why. Are there any conservative/republican that can give me an actual answer without spinning off into the whole unions fund dem garbage and just give me an honest answer ? If you are so against unions and blame many of them for destroying businesses why then won't you also hold accountable the ceo's or other top execs who made more than any of the unions workers and who bankrupted the company giving themselves extravagant bonuses.

What if instead of the unions supporting and giving money to mainly dems what if they gave money to republicans instead ? Would you still dislike them so much ?
Is there a chance that the story of Clint Tarver, the hot dog man in Lansing, Mi, could be involved in dislike for unions? Clint went to give a hand to the AFP women in that tent the union people tore down with them in it and while he was away they tore up his hot dog stand. That action didn't win a lot of support from people around the capitol building who respected Clint so much. I didn't hear any of them in the video call him a N**ger like the union people did as they destroyed his stand.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is there a chance that the story of Clint Tarver, the hot dog man in Lansing, Mi, could be involved in dislike for unions? Clint went to give a hand to the AFP women in that tent the union people tore down with them in it and while he was away they tore up his hot dog stand. That action didn't win a lot of support from people around the capitol building who respected Clint so much. I didn't hear any of them in the video call him a N**ger like the union people did as they destroyed his stand.
I'm sure the NYT will have the story on the front page for at least 3 days, right?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Henry Ford didn't want to unionize in the first place and they fought a long bitter process of trying to avoid it, but were unsuccessful. If you think that unions are "good" for the companies and that they desire them, well... you must live in Colorado.
Union car factories in Colorado ? Michigan is only 17 per cent Union anyway. Henry Ford was not a nice guy, that is being kind, he was worse, but, he did see that in order to find success with this new way of production practice, that the people making the cars needed to make enough to afford to buy one of the cars they helped build. The car companies that treated their workers well and fair never had Union strike problems. I give you Packard as one fine example.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
More lefty lies. Conservatives don't hate teachers. We hate teachers unions. That allow bad teachers to continue on in the classroom. That don't hold teachers accountable for their results. That shriek about children suffering in the classroom, but let schools close so that they can continue their gravy train. That think it's OK for 10th grade Johnny to read at a 5th grade level.

I don't dislike unions. I HATE them. Because I believe your pay, employment, benefits and job security should be based on how good of a job you do, not how long you've managed to stick around. Because I believe that if you drink and smoke dope on the job, you should be fired. Because I believe that unions promote laziness, entitlement, and violence.
In 100% agreement!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,965 times
They don't like the idea of workers getting anything more than a pittance..if that.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its not the evil rich, and you know it. What it IS is that the top 2 percent is not paying their share. Their share should always be more than that of the little people they step on everyday, period ! What built this Country was and is the Middle Class, which, did not exist before the working man or woman gained some level of respect.This hard working group includes, teachers, waitresses, truck drivers, brick layers, electricians, Taxi Drivers, and the vast amount of people who serve as public servants. I do not want to live in a Country where the common man is the lowest paid , they are the working poor, . There should be no reason taxpayers need to supplement so many because they are paid so little. This is not the American way where so much is creamed off the top by filthy rich greedy people. Believe me when I say I know plenty of them they have no shame, not a benevolent bone in their body.....thats how they got that way, they are all Republicans !

Once again we have a situation in which a practical solution to a common concern becomes a greater problem than what it was intended to rectify.

Ask ten people who have been in unions about their experience and I'd guess seven of the ten would say the union did little or nothing for them and only concerned themselves with the members with highest seniority and the ****-ups who continually go running to the union because they have ****ed-up yet again.

If you are in one of those two groups, unions are the only way to go and the unions cater to these groups because they vote to keep them around.

However, if you are not in one of those groups, what you should be able to negotiate for yourself based on your skills and productivity is diverted to others.

Jobs in union shops are available to me today and in the area where I live, but to take one of those jobs I would have to accept a four to six dollar per hour pay cut, pay union dues and support an organization that places its own interests before my own.

Now you tell me I need to toss and turn at night worrying about what someone in upper management is knocking down.

I say get a life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies