Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:02 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who was a VP in DC 37 in NYC. One time he told me the worst part of the job was supporting the bums who should have been canned. His main problem was MGT. who did not respect the 99.9% of members who worked hard and deserved everything they could negotiate.

That being said-Conservatives are afraid of competition and the power of a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What do you mean by ultra cheap insurance. And why are you bringing Obama into this. Who said anything about him If you don't like where you work then go somewhere else. I mean, if you can get better insurance then go for it.
Nope, I can't get a better insurance plan anywhere else. I love the type of work that I do and I love my clients. I just hate most of my co-workers, the ones who are slackers and who coincidentally happen to be black and Hispanic. The workers with the best work attitude are the white and Asian ones. BTW if I ever was in the position to hire, I know exactly the types who I would never hire.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:55 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Just wondering but what is the with the hate I see on this board from conservatives towards the unions ? I know a few union guys who vote republican but for the life of me I really don't see why. Are there any conservative/republican that can give me an actual answer without spinning off into the whole unions fund dem garbage and just give me an honest answer ? If you are so against unions and blame many of them for destroying businesses why then won't you also hold accountable the ceo's or other top execs who made more than any of the unions workers and who bankrupted the company giving themselves extravagant bonuses.

What if instead of the unions supporting and giving money to mainly dems what if they gave money to republicans instead ? Would you still dislike them so much ?
I view unions as business destroyers and not of willing partner of Business. Plus they do understand profitability and the big picture.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:58 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I have a friend who was a VP in DC 37 in NYC. One time he told me the worst part of the job was supporting the bums who should have been canned. His main problem was MGT. who did not respect the 99.9% of members who worked hard and deserved everything they could negotiate.

That being said-Conservatives are afraid of competition and the power of a group.
Funny! Unions are anti-competition. No one worker can seek to be of greater value and obtain a greater wage in a union shop. In fact, speaking from experience, if you work too hard you get shut down by fellow workers.

Unions are great for people who want to be paid more than their labor is worth. In the absence of unions, people are paid exactly what their labor is worth. And that makes for a more dynamic and healthier economy, with the proper incentives for individual betterment.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post

So each and every one of the 99.9% good people were Democrats, huh? That's special! Some boss you'd make.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Funny! Unions are anti-competition. No one worker can seek to be of greater value and obtain a greater wage in a union shop. In fact, speaking from experience, if you work too hard you get shut down by fellow workers.

Unions are great for people who want to be paid more than their labor is worth. In the absence of unions, people are paid exactly what their labor is worth. And that makes for a more dynamic and healthier economy, with the proper incentives for individual betterment.
Beat me to it. Like I said above, unions benefit the bellow average at the cost of the above average.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:51 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

Your views are colored by your own predacious .. There does not have to be a union involved for trouble in the workplace. Today there is a great demand for skilled workers, the way people work is changing. Part of the skill requires computer training as all machines today are EDM . Robots are replacing the old guy on the floor cranking out a part over and over. Fact is , my company was not union, and I based the employes pay on what they would pay, then pay more than the union job. That's how I retained workers, my turn over rate was low. Incentives were how successful a year we had, if there was profit, everyone got a bonus, including non management office workers. I had to pay more, could not get insurance as we were too small, no insurance co would touch us.......so I based pay on commissions as well , so they could shop for their own insurance.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:57 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu;37913467[B
]Nope, I can't get a better insurance plan anywhere else. I love the type of work that I do and I love my clients. I just hate most of my co-workers, the ones who are slackers and who coincidentally happen to be black and Hispanic.[/b]
The workers with the best work attitude are the white and Asian ones. BTW if I ever was in the position to hire, I know exactly the types who I would never hire.
You get great benefits being in a union so stop complaining

Old 01-07-2015, 12:09 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjjjp05 View Post
I am really confused about unions. My dad, a blue collar worker for a top car company from the 70's-2007, was union was able to make a decent wage and support and feed his family with a decent retirement. Now I see unions diminishing and people I talk to express negative ideas of unions. The place I work at the management strongly deters employees from becoming unionized (it is a group home) and swears it will only hurt employees jobs if they become unionized. I think it will help my group home because we have not had raises in four years and workers are living poorly while the company is making a steady profit. I see conservatives talk negatively about unions such as Fox news, but I am beginning to understand the unions do filter money into the democratic side just as other big corporations will filter money into the conservative side. The story I heard is that unions are not like they use to be and are not as helpful. I do not buy it and I want to know the real truth because I fear the diminishing unions means more poverty level for blue collar workers, and more money stuffed into the pockets of the corporate giants. Have unions really changed so much? If they have why?

You can`t have unrestricted free trade with third world countries, some of the highest marginal corporate tax rates, regulations that don`t apply overseas and top it all off with six-figure hi-lo drivers.

I was against NAFTA and the 2000 China Trade Act because I knew there was no way for US workers to compete with third world peasants who earn a tiny fraction of what US workers earn.

Add in all the other costs of doing business in the US and you have the prescription for disaster that has lead to an ever declining US median household income.

If you want unions, union wages and union benefits, you`ll have to put an end to free trade with China, Mexico and other nations that don`t compensate, regulate and tax the way we do.

The other issue is that unions have aligned themselves with a political party that is at odds with white males.

It`s one thing for the Democratic Party to launder tax dollars through AFSME and SEIU, but it`s another thing all together to tell me I have to give money to people that hate me because I`m white and male.

To answer your question, no, unions haven`t changed that much, but they have always been alligned with The Democratic Party and the party of JFK, the party of working Americans, certainly has changed.

They have become the party that buys votes with our taxes and you can`t be on the side of tax payers and mooches.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:15 AM

302 posts, read 196,531 times
What I don't understand is why conservatives claim to support the free market and then try to pass a regulation against unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies