Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Haha, do you have any idea how absurdly low that murder total is? You're talking about a nation of 53 million people.

If you want the US to come out smelling like a rose on the topic of violent crime, steer clear of any comparisons with other industrialized nations.
You have NO IDEA of what you speak! You have to compare total crimes per capita. In other words, compare the crime rate per 1000.

Violent crime in descending order

# 1 Australia: 30.1% (disarmed)
# 2 New Zealand: 29.4%
# 3 United Kingdom: 26.4% (disarmed)
# 4 Netherlands: 25.2%
# 5 Sweden: 24.7%
# 6 Italy: 24.6%
# 7 Canada: 23.8% (disarmed)
# 8 Saint Kitts and Nevis: 23.2%
# 9 Malta: 23.1%
# 10 Denmark: 23%
# 11 Poland: 22.7%
= 12 Belgium: 21.4%
= 12 France: 21.4%
# 14 Slovenia: 21.2%
# 15 United States: 21.1%
# 16 Finland: 19.1%
# 17 Austria: 18.8%
# 18 Switzerland: 18.2%
# 19 Portugal: 15.5%
# 20 Japan: 15.2%

The UK is worse than South Africa for per capita violent crimes. You have a 22% better chance of being a victim in the UK than in the US. Again, so much for being disarmed and safe.

Total crime victims statistics - countries compared - Nationmaster

As for murders, the US isn't even in the top 40. We have less murders per capita than liberal utopias such as France, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Germany, Spain, Netherlands... and on and on and on

Murders (per capita) statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

I'll not post all the stats on how crime goes down when a state becomes open carry, or CCP.

You should avoid passing on assumptions as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Hilarious tough talk from yahoos. So you think state troopers and military members would forfeit their careers instead of taking on a group of armed whiners from Texas?
In fact I know they would.. You are seriously underestimating the resolve and number of gun owners not only in the state of Texas, but nationwide... No trooper in his right mind is going to try and disarm everyone they come across in this state with a firearm.. The military would recognize that any order to disarm the citizens would be against the constitution which they are sworn to protect and defend.. There is nothing in the constitution about defending the president or congress...

Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We would all live in peaceful tranquility.
...until you were robbed by a man brandishing a 2x4 with a couple ten penny nails in it.

"Yer money or yer life"?

Of course, then everyone would carry 2x4s with nails in them, until one day someone would create a 2x4 with a nail so big, it would spell the doom of humanity.

Last edited by OICU812; 12-12-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Oh sorry, another right-to-carry, trashy red state.
Anyway, the link confirms my point: several right-to-carry states have high crime/murder/homicide rates.
And Hawaii - the least armed state - is the safest one.
Thanks
And yet somehow the cesspool liberal cities have the highest murder rates in the country.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How is that war on drugs going BruSan?

80% of the shooting deaths in the OP's hometown are drug\gang related.

So basically, what you are suggesting is that compliance with the removal of guns would be universal and that the people doing the vast majority of killing would of course comply along with every else.

That's my question for you.

Do you believe that the gangs involved in the drugtrade will follow the law and not have illegal guns?

Let's hear your answer.
Whoa nelly there. I'm not suggesting for one second that there is a correlation between WANTING guns eliminated and actually ever being able to achieve that. Your country has gone way past the bar of ever being able to achieve the latter.

War on drugs? Would that be anything like all the other laws ignored by your country like illegal immigration for instance? You've never really gotten serious enough to call any of the efforts to eradicate drugs or illegal immigrants to the extent you could ever refer to either as a war with a straight face.

Hell; enough of your domestic manufacturer's of firearms have now moved off-shore with their production and coupled with foreign makers; would make for an impossible smuggling situation to control.

Your criminals would find any number of ways to maintain ownership.

My post was addressed solely to the silliness of your "willingness to sacrifice lives" portion of your post as though the proliferation of firearms is NOT the cause of the problem in the first instance.

You have your present day problem BECAUSE of all those guns in the hands of people who should not have them.

Were there any hope of ever being able to control one segment while encouraging the other you'd have a win, win scenario, but alas.......!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Nowhere near as many as you're apparently willing to sacrifice to keep them.
Prove it. I don't give a damn about criminals who kill each other, which covers most non suicide gun deaths, the more the better, you on the other hand would obviously rather have honest citizens die.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How is that war on drugs going BruSan?

80% of the shooting deaths in the OP's hometown are drug\gang related.

So basically, what you are suggesting is that compliance with the removal of guns would be universal and that the people doing the vast majority of killing would of course comply along with every else.

That's my question for you.

Do you believe that the gangs involved in the drugtrade will follow the law and not have illegal guns?

Let's hear your answer.
Once it becomes illegal to own a gun, the felons, drug gang members, and bank robbers will stop breaking the law, it's only common sense.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Once it becomes illegal to own a gun, the felons, drug gang members, and bank robbers will stop breaking the law, it's only common sense.
Please tell me your comment is tongue in cheek...

Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Nope don't think so. Your kidding i know, too early in the morning to get my morning laughs.

Criminals are criminals for a reson, felongs, drug gang members, drug lords, bank robbers, rapists, won't stop doing these things ever.

Common sense tells me, you can't believe they would really stop breaking the law.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Please tell me your comment is tongue in cheek...
Of course it is... unless I'm a liberal, then who freaking knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies