Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:35 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,017,104 times

Advertisements

Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter | kgw.com Portland

Quote:
"He was working on his rifle," said Meli. "He kept pulling the charging handle and hitting the side."
The break in gunfire allowed Meli to pull out his own gun, but he never took his eyes off the shooter.

"As I was going down to pull, I saw someone in the back of the Charlotte move, and I knew if I fired and missed, I could hit them," he said.

Meli took cover inside a nearby store. He never pulled the trigger. He stands by that decision.
"I'm not beating myself up cause I didn't shoot him," said Meli. "I know after he saw me, I think the last shot he fired was the one he used on himself."
Per the story, the shooter saw him and the next shot was the one that killed himself. This man being armed and confronting the shooter, may very well have saved more lives that night. He didnt fire, citing people in the background he did not want to hit if he missed, but his presence and the shooter seeing him, may have saved lives.

Strange how this story hasnt made national news. Not really, lord knows we cant have national media promoting gun rights and the benefits. If we are really going to have a conversation about guns, the least we can do is have an honest conversation and an honest media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,493,643 times
He didn't shoot..Nobody knows if the shooter saw him so why should this be a story? It just goes to show having a gun does not prevent and/or stop gun violence.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,178,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter | kgw.com Portland

Per the story, the shooter saw him and the next shot was the one that killed himself. This man being armed and confronting the shooter, may very well have saved more lives that night. He didnt fire, citing people in the background he did not want to hit if he missed, but his presence and the shooter seeing him, may have saved lives.

Strange how this story hasnt made national news. Not really, lord knows we cant have national media promoting gun rights and the benefits. If we are really going to have a conversation about guns, the least we can do is have an honest conversation and an honest media.
I always like the stories from local TV over national TV. I think the answer to your question about this one not making the national news could be affected by the bigger Ct. story or by the fact that the national news sources don't want to make things like this known. One of the commenters to the article said about that same thing.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:58 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,444,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I always like the stories from local TV over national TV. I think the answer to your question about this one not making the national news could be affected by the bigger Ct. story or by the fact that the national news sources don't want to make things like this known. One of the commenters to the article said about that same thing.
Main stream media didn't want this story because it is a non-story. No one knows if the shooter saw him as he was hiding behind a beam. He did nothing to stop the killer. He coudn''t take the shot so he hid. Is he just looking for his 15 minutes of fame?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,017,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
He didn't shoot..Nobody knows if the shooter saw him so why should this be a story? It just goes to show having a gun does not prevent and/or stop gun violence.
He believes the shooter saw him. He acted accordingly and properly by not firing due to an innocent bystander near the shooter. His presence could very well have caused the shooter to quit early.

Like it or not, more people like this shopper, being armed and trained, can help stop and end shootings we've seen much quicker, and perhaps deter others from even trying. If we have more events, and there are times where armed civilians are there to take action, it will send a message.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:02 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,217,392 times
May =/= did.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,178,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
May =/= did.
Said the leaner to the person thought to be a righty. You people will be around with that crap and never accept the fact that just maybe he did change the shooter's mind.

I guess all of you know that he stole the rifle he was shooting with. Who knows, there is a possibility that the thing did that regularly. Of course, that is just a conservative suggesting something that leaners won't want to think about.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:38 PM

37,074 posts, read 42,043,953 times
Someone tackling him from behind might have taken him out too. "Might". It's kind of like playing armchair quarterback. We have no idea and "might" really isn't a big story. It's an interesting aside at most.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,217,392 times
Interesting aside?
A guy with a gun hid behind a pole while others were being shot.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,493,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
He believes the shooter saw him. He acted accordingly and properly by not firing due to an innocent bystander near the shooter. His presence could very well have caused the shooter to quit early.

Like it or not, more people like this shopper, being armed and trained, can help stop and end shootings we've seen much quicker, and perhaps deter others from even trying. If we have more events, and there are times where armed civilians are there to take action, it will send a message.
There's no proof this guys alleged story is true. If it is, it just shows guns don't prevent gun violence. That's all it does. More shoppers with guns will simply mean more untrained idiot wannabe rambos with guns who'll likely shoot each other before they shoot any perp. Real life isn't the movies. Assessing the appropriate target, drawing a weapon and shooting and stopping a moving armed target in a crowded mall is not as easy as you rambos make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies