Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
William Jefferson Clinton 8 22.86%
Barack Hussein Obama 8 22.86%
Both! 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Bill Clinton = inherited a huge mess left by the failed trickle-down economic policies of Reagan/Bush Sr., and turned the Reagan/Bush deficits and GOP-caused economic recession into a surplus and the most prosperous decade of 20th century America.

Barack Obama = inherited the worst foreign and domestic policy mess since FDR took over the reigns from Herbert Hoover. Saved the American auto industry, enacted healthcare reform, ended the Iraq war, repealed Don't Ask Don't Tell, killed Bin Laden and wiped out most of Al-Qaeda's top leadership. Created more private sector jobs in 2 years than George W. Bush in 8 years. Was the first president since FDR to win 2 terms with over 50% of the vote.

Two great presidents.

This is a hard one.
Is there room for anybody like either of these men at the mountain? I couldn't vote in your poll since you didn't provide a chance to vote neither and that is what I would have to vote.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:51 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
I'm doing pretty good, and so is my family in the states. I have a great career, and no one I know from college is unemployed.
There's the operative word, and the difference between many of the poor white persuasion, who would rather stay angry at Obama, ''illegals', and the 'guvmint', than risk becoming an ''educated elite''.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'd like to see four Presidents from modern times -- F D Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower and Reagan -- similarly honored. Between them, they defeated the Fascism of both the Nazis and the Marxists, and steered the nation through some very troubled waters,
Meh. They all have been memorialized hundreds of times with schools and other public building projects. And they all have established places in history.

Ghengis Khan was intentionally buried in the bottom of a river bed just so he never had a monument. His legend lives on, far longer than mere stone carvings live, and that's how he wanted it.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,825 times
Neither.I would also say take Roosevelt off.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Unless you're talking about Teddy, the ''tree-hugging'' Republican up there now, who explored the Amazon, gave us the Panama Canal, Meat Inspections, National Parks & the Forestry Service... then maybe you're confusing him with FDR, the guy basically responsible for your social security and medicare.... BTW, which libertarians like Ron Paul and Ayn Rand like to complain about, even though they don't hesitate to collect it.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
The Lakota nations would like to see Roosevelt taken off too. Along with the rest of them. Mt. Rushmore is the equivalent of burning down your best cathedral and spitting on the ashes for them.

As a national monument, Mt.Rushmore is no great shakes. I was really looking forward to seeing it when I first did, and it was a real letdown. It looked much grander in that Alfred Hitchcock picture North By Northwest.

A trip to the monument takes far longer than seeing it. After 5 minutes, most folks turn around and go back to where they came from. My first thought on seeing it was it was nothing but a way to permanently screw up a perfectly good mountain. The slag pile at the bottom is more impressive than the carving... they worked real hard to screw that mountain up.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Unless you're talking about Teddy, the ''tree-hugging'' Republican up there now, who explored the Amazon, gave us the Panama Canal, Meat Inspections, National Parks & the Forestry Service... then maybe you're confusing him with FDR, the guy basically responsible for your social security and medicare.... BTW, which libertarians like Ron Paul and Ayn Rand like to complain about, even though they don't hesitate to collect it.
I believe that some of us who have lived since FDR was first elected and know when Medicare became a fact might want to argue about FDR being responsible for it. It was LBJ in 1965 who signed the Medicare law into effect and that was over 20 years after FDR died.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,309 times
None, Roosevelt if there is room but I say leave it alone. this is like saying who should we add to DaVincis last supper.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
We don't have the money to put anymore presidents up there. It would cost about ten times as much to do it in today's money and regulations. They didn't need to worry about regulations when they did it years ago. I bet they couldn't even get permission now to do any work around there. Bad for the environment.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM

328 posts, read 682,348 times
Neither one of these Presidents--Obama or Clinton ---come close to the current Presidents on Mt Rushmore. History will prove that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies